Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

The now southwest RSW-BOS flight is seasonal and will only operate in the winter and ends at the end of April. So it will comeback. It will be interesting to see if Southwest tries other seasonal services to Florida as the Logan operation grows.
the airtran flight was already seasonal, i could see southwest adding maybe plam beach, and making orlnado year round. maybe they might start dallas or houston too

Dallas-Love (Southwest's base of operations) currently isn't allowed under the Wright Amendment. That is supposed to change sometime in the near future (by 2015, if I remember). However, capacity constraints on the airport will dictate how much Southwest is able to expand. While Boston isn't inconceivable, it probably won't be at the top of the list once the Wright Amendment goes the way of the dodo. Dallas-DFW is served by American, Jetblue and Spirit, so competition already exists on the route.

I am, however, surprised that Jetblue hasn't already started Houston. Given United's monopoly on the route and the fact that you're connecting two of the largest cities in the country, it seems like it would be a good fit for Jetblue. If Southwest is serious about moderate expansion at Logan, this is would be a plum route for them to start.

I am surprised JetBlue hasn't started service down to Houston from Boston and send 1-2 daily 190s down there.

I am surprised JetBlue hasn't started service down to Houston from Boston and send 1-2 daily 190s down there.

i would think that it'd be a better market than charleston

http://qz.com/#19482/here-are-the-fastest-growing-flight-routes-to-and-from-the-us/

Fastest growing international routes to/from Boston:

Praia, Cape Verde
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Kathmandu, Nepal
Sao Vicente, Cape Verde

Fastest shrinking:

Freeport, Bahamas
Roadtown, Tortola
Shannon, Ireland
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Glasgow, UK

Interesting page but not many surprises! Increases in Middle East, Cape Verde and Indian Subcontinent are not too surprising. I live in the North Shore and I know there is a large group of Nepalese that own and operate a popular local chain of liquor/convenience stores.

Aer Lingus focusing on Dublin over Shannon

Tortola - Why fly in when you can take the ferry from St. Thomas for 20% of the price.

I thought Glasgow and Tegucigalpa would have higher total passenger numbers overall!

Glasgow winds up with 19 PDEW!!!

The Greater Boston Nepali Community (GBNC) is a thriving association of Nepalese and friends of Nepal living in and around the Boston area. Over 3,000 people comprised of students, professionals, families and workers constitute this group.
http://www.gbnc.org/survivalguide.pdf

Family and friends travel twice a year, all of them.

why do i feel as though boston has the largest nepalese pop. in america?

http://qz.com/#19482/here-are-the-fastest-growing-flight-routes-to-and-from-the-us/

Fastest growing international routes to/from Boston:

Praia, Cape Verde
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Kathmandu, Nepal
Sao Vicente, Cape Verde

Fastest shrinking:

Freeport, Bahamas
Roadtown, Tortola
Shannon, Ireland
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Glasgow, UK

The link you posted got that information from here: http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/aviation

You have to select Boston area from the interactive page.

Though some of those routes listed above had over 400-500% increases what is more telling that the following destinations all had over 100% increases: Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Seoul, Shanghai. Istanbul, Dubai:

There were major increases in Madrid and Barcelona traffic (both almost doubling) Cancun and Dominican Republic (especially Santiago de los Caballeros and Punta Cana) skyrocketed as well.

Most of the big increases you see on the chart are most likely due to increased non-stop service, or the introduction of non-stop service.

I am sure Tokyo will see a nice rebound now that there are year round daily non-stop flights.

I'm amazed there's been such an increase to Saudi without direct flights. Is this oil-related?

Could it be hospital related? When I lived in Cleveland there was news all over the place about the Cleveland Clinic opening satellite hospitals in the region.

I'm amazed there's been such an increase to Saudi without direct flights. Is this oil-related?

For Boston - probably Research/Hospital/University related.

Both Riyadh and Jeddah went from 1500 passengers per year to around 6000 per year. 6000 passengers per year is still only 17 PDEW (passengers departing each way per day).

I'm still floored by the increase in China and India more than anything. Example: Shanghai increased by over 30000 passengers (from 18890 to 52796 passengers).

It will be interesting to see what increases occur with Saudi Arabia in next 8-10 years. Will it quadruple again or just double?

we've heard this same thing from emirates, turkish, and El AL. i don't think anything will come of this

Those were announcements of interest. This is much more solid than that.

Airline CEO's rattle on all the time in interviews about places they're going to fly or they'd like to fly. If JetBlue flew to every city that David Neeleman ever talked about, they'd have twice the destinations that they do. I don't doubt that within a year or two, a Middle East carrier, likely Emirates or Qatar, will announce service but until then, I'd take these types of articles with a grain of salt, especially considering this article is written almost verbatim from one that appeared on Bloomberg in April.

Back