Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Wow. Boston is going to have 6 daily non-stop flights to Seattle for June, July and August. Alaska seems to be responding to JetBlue which is going to run 3 daily flights this summer.

I wonder who's going to give first? Seems like 6 flights is to much for Seattle

I wonder who's going to give first? Seems like 6 flights is to much for Seattle

For local demand it is. Boston-Seattle is a pretty good sized market, it's just not big enough to warrant 6 daily flights. Given the fact that these are seasonal up-gauges(running only a few months), I doubt either will be trimming anything since they're going away in September anyways.

Last edited:
Seattle is a decent hub for Alaska so not all is O&D traffic. Some is definitely from Alaska proper and Hawaii.

Must be a lot of people going on cruises to Alaska too. Assuming these are the 739 ER models, that's 181 seats.

AS012 SEA0905 – 1734BOS 739 D
AS734 SEA1550 – 2359BOS 739 D
AS024 SEA2230 – 0643+1BOS 739 D

AS733 BOS0700 – 1016SEA 739 D
AS025 BOS0800 – 1113SEA 739 D
AS017 BOS1835 – 2155SEA 739 D

AS733 operates from 10JUN13 to 24AUG13

Must be a lot of people going on cruises to Alaska too.

Another thing people often overlook with Alaska is their network within the Northwest, throughout Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, NorCal, etc.

I know this thread is about Logan, but jetBlue is coming to Worcester?! I didn't even know they had a large enough airport...

Beginning Nov. 7th JetBlue will offer one daily flight from Worcester to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale (via Nicole Oliverio on Twitter - @NicoleOliverio)
536232_10151838140763332_1838223665_n.jpg

They've had commercial service off and on as long as I've been around Boston. The last carrier I recall was Allegiant, with service to presumably Orlando. The airport itself is small but adequate for a few daily flights. Unfortunately it's on the west side of Worcester with relatively poor road access(it's nowhere near a major highway). I'm sure this service is subsidized out the wazoo and probably has something to do with Massport turning over all of Terminal C to JetBlue.

Definitely has to do with MassPort agreements. I wouldn't doubt if the service is cancelled 12-18 months after it starts once JBLU can take the financials to MassPort and argue it isn't profitable even with subsidies.

Same reason ALGT pulled out after only a few months. The financials of flying Worcester to Florida don't work out compared to Boston.

What's the deal with Orlando? Why does Worcester have that demand?

Is that one daily flight to each destination, or a single flight that makes both stops?

I would think JetBlue has a lot better brand awareness and recognition in this area than Allegiant.

Orlando is a pure leisure destination that attracts millions every year to visit its theme parks, as Disney has already been mentioned.

It's not hard to fill a plane from the East Coast and Midwest to Orlando.

Is it a year-round destination? I don't think I'd want to go there in mid-summer.

Is it a year-round destination? I don't think I'd want to go there in mid-summer.

... you are an EXTREME outlier in this situation then. Peak travel is during the height of summer even though it is a totally miserable experience. Disney is packed from May to August.

Orlando/Disney is busiest in summer, largely driven by school children's summer vacation. I was in Disney this February and it was packed with Argentinians - guess when their summer break is? Floridians also go heavily in winter because it is close and they know the heat and crowds make summer unbearable.

Everyone else on the planet goes in summer.

There are a few connecting opportunities out of both Fort Lauderdale and Orlando to Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic which might be of some value as well. The question that JetBlue probably asked themselves is where can we lose the least money. These flights will be dogs, there's no question on that. I would not be surprised to see mid-week flights outside of the peak travel times going out with 40% load factors.

The Orlando flight should be a slam dunk so long as prices are kept competitive. The FLL flights in the offseason could be a bit more of a challenge. Seems like those could be tough to fill in June, July and August.

There's no such thing as a slam dunk in the airline business these days and if there was, it's not going to be a route like Worcester to Orlando.

Is this cheaper than both JetBlue and Delta flights out of Logan to Orlando? My fiance and I saved a buttload of money this past January by taking Delta rather than JetBlue for Logan to Orlando. That's quite a drive for it to be worth it, but if these flights are pretty damn cheap, it could be worth a look for when we go again next January.

Back