Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Number 49! London Gatwick by Norwegian starting in May on a 787 (!)
From the Globe today:

Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA intends to launch a new flight from Logan International Airport to London’s Gatwick Airport in May. The airline will be the first carrier to fly nonstop between the two airports, according to the Massachusetts Port Authority, which runs Logan.

The low-cost airline will fly the route four times a week with new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners equipped with 35 premium economy and 309 economy seats. Norwegian said flights will go on sale later this year.

Last month Norwegian announced it will begin twice weekly seasonal service from Boston to two new Caribbean destinations, the Guadeloupe islands and Martinique, in December. The Norwegian flight will be 49th nonstop route Logan offers to international destinations.

Number 49! London Gatwick by Norwegian starting in May on a 787 (!)
From the Globe today:

Wow - I thought they would throw in at least one of the three main Scandinavian destinations (Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen) and I didn't expect 787-9 to start.

A non-stop flight from Boston to Hawaii would never happen. While I don't have hard numbers, I am making the assumption that the demand is not there to fill a plane even at less than daily frequency. No airline is going to throw planes on the route given that fact alone, never mind that the route would flyover several hubs, such as Detroit, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Check further up in the thread "post 1581" - its hard to get exact numbers but you can make a guess using another type of BTS data which is a sample of 10% of tickets sold in a quarter. All of Hawaii was estimated to be around 150 passengers a day in each direction.

Look at it this way - JFK/EWR combined only have two daily flights (and JFK is 5-6 weekly in fall) and the route is longer than Boston-Istanbul.

Also - with JetBlue's recent schedule release - Boston- Charleston SC has gone to two daily. Nashville has not been loaded yet.

One wouldn't think Boston-Charleston would support two daily flights, even with coastal SC being a retirement destination, so perhaps JetBlue is thinking of international passengers bypassing Atlanta (or Dulles).

B6 has loaded fares for Mint to SFO. Looks like the same $599 o/w fares will be offered. Initially Mint service will only be offered on the early morning BOS departure and mid-afternoon return from SFO. Would be nice to see another Dunkin promo like they ran last Spring.

B6 has loaded fares for Mint to SFO. Looks like the same $599 o/w fares will be offered. Initially Mint service will only be offered on the early morning BOS departure and mid-afternoon return from SFO. Would be nice to see another Dunkin promo like they ran last Spring.

or 45,300 points plus taxes

China Airlines 747-400 (passenger, not cargo) was at Logan yesterday. Any idea why?

According to the OAG thread on airliners.net Delta will be running Paris year round.

Random date in January shows these departures:

5:07 Delta 757
8:00 AirFrance 772

Thought Massport June Data would be released today but not yet.

BTS did release January data and here are the loads for newer flights.

Emirates: 89.8%
Turkish: 79.7%
Copa: 80.4%
JAL: 82.7%
Hainan: 80.3%

New B6 Services

Puerto Plata DR: 87.7%
St Lucia: 86.8%
Liberia Costa Rica: 89.8%

Surprised at Emirates' performance!!!

Last edited:
From the OAG thread on airliners.net

Boston - Harrisburg dropped by American Airlines (former US Air route) by the end of October.

Iberia starting Madrid a bit earlier in March 2016

WestJet starting Boston-Toronto Pearson March 2016 - I'm guessing up to 2 daily beginning mid-March or so. Not sure if it will be done with Q400 regional props under WestJet Encore branding. They could wind up at any terminal for all we know as well - though I'm guessing A most likely.

We'll know more soon with an announcement.

EDIT - 3 daily Q400's under WestJet Encore starting March 21 2016

The schedule update thread over on airliners.net has American upping LAX-BOS from 4 to 5 daily for August, September and October. Looks like they're trying to assert themselves in the crowded market. Interesting schedule on LAX-BOS as one flight leaves Los Angeles at 5:35 pm PST and gets into Boston at 2:10 am.

That Westjet news of direct flights to Halifax has me thinking about direct air service to Quebec City. I would think there is probably a demand for that- at least seasonally. Plenty of Mass people will drive to Montreal but aren't willing to drive that extra few hours to QC. I'd definitely use it if it existed. Has there ever been any and has it ever been talked about?

That Westjet news of direct flights to Halifax has me thinking about direct air service to Quebec City. I would think there is probably a demand for that- at least seasonally. Plenty of Mass people will drive to Montreal but aren't willing to drive that extra few hours to QC. I'd definitely use it if it existed. Has there ever been any and has it ever been talked about?

Delta last ran it with regional jets in 06/07

WestJet has a good breakdown of fares. It is amazing that the taxes add~$100 on the one way from Boston. It sets a high bar when the base fare is $99 but round trip with taxes would be $400 pp. You can do round trip to SF for nearly half that if timed right!

Sad news: The ironworker injured at the Logan central garage expansion project on July 10th has died. This makes two local ironworker deaths this summer after the accident at Assembly Square last month.

The schedule update thread over on airliners.net has American upping LAX-BOS from 4 to 5 daily for August, September and October. Looks like they're trying to assert themselves in the crowded market. Interesting schedule on LAX-BOS as one flight leaves Los Angeles at 5:35 pm PST and gets into Boston at 2:10 am.

That flight has been around this past summer and fortunately I've been able to avoid it but the timing is brutal. Makes AA 192 (9pm redeye) in a recliner seat even a more palatable option.

AA is the leader in Boston-Los Angeles market with the most seats, frequencies and highest average fares. Most everyone in the L.A. region has written off United, and Delta hasn't been able to make any meaningful inroads on valuable corporate clients there (unlike in New York).

Looks like Emirates is frequently using Boston as a last stop before retiring aircraft. Many retirement flights come from Dubai, overnight in Boston, and head to the airplane graveyards in the Southwest.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE3149

Good observation.

EK on YouTube has a short video on retirement of their final 777-200 (non-ER/LR) and briefly mentions that it will be passing through Logan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-VwYZ-rPFw

Published on Jul 28, 2015
Emirates recently phased out A6-EMF, the last remaining Boeing 777-200 from its fleet. The aircraft departed from Dubai International to Arizona via Boston for de-registration on 14 July. Since joining the Emirates fleet in 1996, A6-EMF flew an estimated 60 million kilometres (enough to fly to the moon and back nearly 80 times) and transported hundreds of thousands of passengers to destinations as far and wide as Warsaw and Ho Chi Minh City.

Good observation.

EK on YouTube has a short video on retirement of their final 777-200 (non-ER/LR) and briefly mentions that it will be passing through Logan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-VwYZ-rPFw

I'm willing to bet that I flew on that fella or gal? during my round the world trip in early March of 1997

I flew to London on a BA 747 and then to Dubai on the 777-200 then to Singapore via Karachi on the 777-200 and then from Singapore to Taipei on Singapore 747-400 Big Top finally homeward bound Taipei to SF [EVA] and SF to Boston [United]

two shots on that trip for having been on that 777 in its first year

Back