Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Thanks. That airliners page will probably be responsible for a lot of lost productivity.

Not huge news, but Norwegian has taken over South Station with ads about their 737 max ("visit the old country on a new plane") and their PVD flights. Literally everything in there is Norwegian.

Welp, time to rename the thread to Logan Flight Removals.

Laptop ban to be expanded to all European flights.

When everyone is affected (and this affects biz travel more than anything) it becomes a level playing field.

Speaking of drops - it looks like the Norwegian Caribbean flights may not be coming back.

I think Norwegian is better off getting into the charter biz which they did in suburban Chicago.

While it theoretically levels the playing field, it does nonetheless disincentivize US-travel in general. I suspect many business people are going to ask themselves if it's absolutely necessary to make a trip and others who must go might reroute through a country not on the ban list.

I suspect I'm not alone on this but my company has a distinct prohibition on our intellectual property being placed in checked baggage and we don't have any earth shattering trade secrets or a cure for cancer up our sleeves.

While it theoretically levels the playing field, it does nonetheless disincentivize US-travel in general. I suspect many business people are going to ask themselves if it's absolutely necessary to make a trip and others who must go might reroute through a country not on the ban list.

I suspect I'm not alone on this but my company has a distinct prohibition on our intellectual property being placed in checked baggage and we don't have any earth shattering trade secrets or a cure for cancer up our sleeves.

Exactly. There is an alternative: Dont travel.

Why host a conference in a country that clearly doesnt want visitors? Why vacation in Florida when you could fly to the Caribbean?

Air Canada is probably salivating at the prospect of this going through.

Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.

Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.

...the scientific community that also affects Boston very directly will not be happy either. What is a visiting professor/post-doc/PhD-student going to do? International conferences? Look somewhere else. This is madness.

What's weird to me from a safety perspective is that the FAA specifically tells you not to check spare lithium ion batteries because of the risk of fire. You can check installed batteries, but the same sort of risk is there, the FAA just seems to have higher confidence in permanently installed batteries supplied by an Apple or a Lenovo rather than the spare battery you got off of ebay.

Some companies wont allow it.

You want to place your proprietary company data unattended where anyone can swipe it? Nope.

You either hold a virtual meeting (no travel) or you travel via Canada or Mexico.

You want to place your proprietary company data unattended where anyone can swipe it? Nope.

You either hold a virtual meeting (no travel) or you travel via Canada or Mexico.

Makes me want to buy stock in external / removable hard drive manufacturers.

Storing data on a computer is so passe. Upload it to the cloud and access it from a chromebook when you get there..

Why is a laptop under a plane safer than a laptop in the cabin? Can't a bomb be placed in a laptop in checked luggage and remotely detonated or set to a timer? Is it because the checked baggage is regularly subject to additional explosive screening that carry on baggage is not subject to? Seems to me like these devices should be banned from everywhere on the plane (if at all) if there are legitimate security concerns.

Why is a laptop under a plane safer than a laptop in the cabin? Can't a bomb be placed in a laptop in checked luggage and remotely detonated or set to a timer? Is it because the checked baggage is regularly subject to additional explosive screening that carry on baggage is not subject to? Seems to me like these devices should be banned from everywhere on the plane (if at all) if there are legitimate security concerns.

From what I've read, it's not possible to hide a 100% functional bomb inside of a laptop; only the explosives would fit. You would need other components and some assembly in-flight in order to set it off.

Note to NSA: not a terrorist.

Well if you are in Europe when the ban is implemented you will have a real decision to make. Checked luggage or FedEx.

I know this is not Logan but I'm too lazy to find the thread for it, but what the hell did they do with the Sumner Tunnel toll tear down. It's made getting out of Logan a nightmare.

Back