Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I just noticed from their wiki page how similar WOW's aircraft portfolio is to JetBlue's: Airbus A320-neo, A321-200, and A321-neo. If they're already trying to get to Europe, I wonder if WOW's end opens the door for JetBlue to fill that void (or at the very least to buy their aircraft). Hmmm...

I think that however JetBlue is planning to get slots over there, they've already strategized it out. There will be slots for sale, though.

I think that however JetBlue is planning to get slots over there, they've already strategized it out. There will be slots for sale, though.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that JetBlue and Icelandair have a partnership. So that would have to be factored into any discussion about a potential Jetblue BOS-KEF route.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that JetBlue and Icelandair have a partnership. So that would have to be factored into any discussion about a potential Jetblue BOS-KEF route.

I'd think that slots at places like Gatwick would be what Jetblue wants, not KEF specifically. I honestly do not think there is the O and D traffic needed for more than one carrier at KEF. Wow and Icelandair were banking on traffic from connections for that route.

I'd think that slots at places like Gatwick would be what Jetblue wants, not KEF specifically. I honestly do not think there is the O and D traffic needed for more than one carrier at KEF. Wow and Icelandair were banking on traffic from connections for that route.

Agreed that KEF was probably not on Jetblue's radars (and probably still isn't), but I actually thought JetBlue had an LHR or bust philosophy. We'll find out on the 7th.

That being said, the JetBlue/Icelandair partnership means that connections would still be part of the equation on both ends and they wouldn't have to rely solely on O&D. It wouldn't be unlike what Delta and KLM have going on with Boston and Amsterdam as of this summer. Both airlines fly the BOS-AMS route and the alliance means that passengers can connect on either airline on both ends of the route. It would be the same for JetBlue and Icelandair - passengers on a JetBlue flight from BOS-KEF could connect to anywhere Icelandair flies from KEF and vice versa for Icelandair passengers to Boston.

The question is if there's any reason for Jetblue to fly the route with their own metal. Even seasonally. I don't know, but I don't think so.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta...=social&utm_source=TWITTER&utm_term=editorial

Hmmm..are they getting a jump on JetBlue or are they sensing B6 is launching BOS-LHR and trying to maintain market share?

I wonder if it's more a bet against the LCC model (and Norwegian specifically)? Primera died fast. WOW only recently collapsed, but they were circling the drain for the better part of a year. Rumors of Norwegian's financial troubles have circulated for a while, and they've certainly slowed/stalled expansion (cut back in a lot of places), so it could be an effort to push them out of BOS and JFK to LGW entirely.

B6 seems pretty hellbent on LHR, not LGW. The internal rumor (I spoke to a flight attendant, so this isn't high level) is that B6 is going to announce LHR, AMS, CDG and possibly up to 2 others, but they'll all be +/- 5 years down the road. Not imminent.

I wonder if it's more a bet against the LCC model (and Norwegian specifically)? Primera died fast. WOW only recently collapsed, but they were circling the drain for the better part of a year. Rumors of Norwegian's financial troubles have circulated for a while, and they've certainly slowed/stalled expansion (cut back in a lot of places), so it could be an effort to push them out of BOS and JFK to LGW entirely.

B6 seems pretty hellbent on LHR, not LGW. The internal rumor (I spoke to a flight attendant, so this isn't high level) is that B6 is going to announce LHR, AMS, CDG and possibly up to 2 others, but they'll all be +/- 5 years down the road. Not imminent.

^I'm hoping Norwegian can stay afloat. Already have my Rome flight booked for Sept-Oct. ($530 non-stop flights) During booking, you pay for every single thing for the flight a-la-carte. Priority boarding, seat assignment, meal, checked bag, etc. I'm worried because I too have been reading about their financial troubles. They have the youngest fleet out there (avg.3.7 year age/plane) so their planes are new and fuel efficient, but all those newer planes means higher costs. I'm wondering what load factor these cheaper airlines need to balance out.

Last edited:
The last time this many airlines went bankrupt was right before the last financial crisis.

Although, almost all of the bankruptcy's have been concentrated in Europe. US airlines on the other hand have been doing pretty well (due to reduced competition from consolidation).

And before the last financial crisis, a big reason for the bankruptcies was the rising fuel prices along with security implemented after 9/11 making flying more of a pain.

The last time this many airlines went bankrupt was right before the last financial crisis.

I don't think it's reasonable to compare WOW and Primera to American and United. These were start-up or recent charter conversions that were barely IN business to begin with.

I don't think it's reasonable to compare WOW and Primera to American and United. These were start-up or recent charter conversions that were barely IN business to begin with.

No Im talking about a number of airlines that went out of business (not restructuring) in 2007-2008.

Like Aloha Air, Independence Air, Big Sky Airlines, Air Midwest, Skybus Airlines and a dozen others. They were sort of a canary in the coal mine

^^ Oh wow. Seems nobody has mentioned it on the forum thus far (unless I missed), but that article also mentions Delta is rolling out new seasonal direct routes from Logan to Lisbon and Edinburgh.

Are those the first connections to those cities?

^^ Oh wow. Seems nobody has mentioned it on the forum thus far (unless I missed), but that article also mentions Delta is rolling out new seasonal direct routes from Logan to Lisbon and Edinburgh.

Are those the first connections to those cities?

SATA has run seasonal Lisbon flights for the last several years (in addition to their year round flights to the Azores). TAP Portugal started year round, non-stop flights to Lisbon a few years ago. I think these flights are run daily from April through October and then 4-5 weekly from November through March.

If nothing else changes (like Icelandair increasing frequency, or JetBlue announcing today that they're serving KEF), I'd be surprised if Delta didn't take a stab at seasonal BOS-KEF next summer on an a321. Like Lisbon, Iceland is a booming and growing tourism market. And while WOW failed for a litany of reasons, they had good load factors from Boston so there's capacity there and it's known. While Delta obviously can't offer fares as low as WOW did, they can feed the route a lot better given their presence at Logan. It'd also be going toe to toe with JetBlue who has a partnership with Icelandair.

If nothing else changes (like Icelandair increasing frequency, or JetBlue announcing today that they're serving KEF), I'd be surprised if Delta didn't take a stab at seasonal BOS-KEF next summer on an a321. Like Lisbon, Iceland is a booming and growing tourism market. And while WOW failed for a litany of reasons, they had good load factors from Boston so there's capacity there and it's known. While Delta obviously can't offer fares as low as WOW did, they can feed the route a lot better given their presence at Logan. It'd also be going toe to toe with JetBlue who has a partnership with Icelandair.

The load factors on WOW and Icelandair are not about Icelandic tourism (although sure it is growing). Virtually everyone onboard is(was) connecting at KEF for a European destination.

The load factors on WOW and Icelandair are not about Icelandic tourism (although sure it is growing). Virtually everyone onboard is(was) connecting at KEF for a European destination.

Tourism to Iceland has been growing exponentially. 700k Americans visited Iceland in 2018. And (going out on a limb here) Boston is probably one of the bigger markets, as it's closest to Iceland. People on the west coast who desire an "arctic" vacation are more likely to go to Alaska.

There’s definitely a lot of connecting traffic. But KEF is a rapidly growing 0&D market too. Cargo (fish) is a big economic driver as well. Delta doesn’t have the connecting market which might be a deal breaker, but it does have a much better US feed for the 0&D traffic than WOW.

Back