Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

As of this past summer, Massport isn't expecting numbers to hit 85% of pre-COVID until Q2 2022. Who knows if they have altered this since (their board meeting materials for the last 2 meetings aren't available yet). I think Q2 2022 sounds like a reasonable target.

I'm not sure those expectations from this past summer included a 95% efficacy vaccination being made available before the end of 2020. If I recall last summer, the hope was for a 50-75% efficacy vaccine by Q2 2021.

The past week's news from Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna and AstaZeneca have been true gamechangers. The fact that Moderna's vaccine can be stored in -20 degree celsius freezers that already exist in most every pharmacy in the country is especially significant.

Boston is gaining more service to Brazil. Starting March 28, 2021, Eastern Airlines will commence non-stop flights, twice per week, to Belo Horizonte. It's bookable on their website. Can't tell which equipment they'll be using, presumably on a 763.

Launching service with the pandemic still likely raging. Huh. Not a look that I expected today. Wondering if they think that they'll create Interamerican demand with the new route?

JetBlue is announcing Miami tomorrow (MIA airport is hinting at a blue airline on their social media) and it appears Boston-Miami will be launched along with Miami-Los Angeles/Newark/Chicago-O'Hare but not Miami-JFK. There's also grumblings about Key West and Cabo San Lucas being added as JetBlue destinations but not clear if that would be from Boston.

JetBlue is announcing Miami tomorrow (MIA airport is hinting at a blue airline on their social media) and it appears Boston-Miami will be launched along with Miami-Los Angeles/Newark/Chicago-O'Hare but not Miami-JFK. There's also grumblings about Key West and Cabo San Lucas being added as JetBlue destinations but not clear if that would be from Boston.

Per a link posted on airliners.net, JetBlue will be adding non-stop service to Key West and Miami starting in February.

Key West and Miami are now both bookable on jetblue.com. Miami will be 4 daily starting February 11 and Key West will be 1 daily starting February 11. Not sure if Key West will be seasonal, or year round.

Here's the official press release from JetBlue. Key West will be flown 4 times per week and be seasonal. I am sure in 2022 it'll run longer than February through April which is what it's scheduled to do in 2021.

Last edited:
Key West and Miami are now both bookable on jetblue.com. Miami will be 4 daily starting February 11 and Key West will be 1 daily starting February 11. Not sure if Key West will be seasonal, or year round.

Here's the official press release from JetBlue. Key West will be flown 4 times per week and be seasonal. I am sure in 2022 it'll run longer than February through April which is what it's scheduled to do in 2021.

Was hoping for a weekly Cabo San Lucas flight.... maybe in a year or so once they see flows from Boston to JFK and LAX flights.

BOS-MIA on B6 means I will never have to fly American Airlines again and that's a good thing

I wish B6 offered more international partnerships because I'd be in the same boat.

I'll admit, I've flown AA several times during the pandemic (most recently, last weekend between BOS-MIA actually) and they haven't been too bad. Flights not full, mask adherence pretty good, and handing out sanitizing wipes to every passenger as they board.

I wish B6 offered more international partnerships because I'd be in the same boat.

I'll admit, I've flown AA several times during the pandemic (most recently, last weekend between BOS-MIA actually) and they haven't been too bad. Flights not full, mask adherence pretty good, and handing out sanitizing wipes to every passenger as they board.
That has been my challenge with abandoning AA as well. I use B6 to get around the US generally, but I need the AA international partnerships.

BOS-MIA on B6 means I will never have to fly American Airlines again and that's a good thing

I'd have said that with more enthusiasm a decade ago. All of the airlines had reached a kind of equilibrium of mediocrity before the pandemic hit.

I should have noted that I split my loyalty between Delta (for international) which is my employer's preferred carrier and JetBlue which is my own. But we have had company meetings in Miami, I had resolved that next time I would fly to fort Lauderdale and take trirail.

Evidently American is responding the Jetblue and adding Ft. Lauderdale - Boston/New York - JFK/LAX service. We'll now have 4 carriers on Boston - Miami and 4 carriers on Ft. Lauderdale.

Evidently American is responding the Jetblue and adding Ft. Lauderdale - Boston/New York - JFK/LAX service. We'll now have 4 carriers on Boston - Miami and 4 carriers on Ft. Lauderdale.
Are you sure AA announced BOS-FLL? Not challenging you, but I dont see a source/link to it.

Also... Aer Lingus and Emirates (7th freedom rights) applied for BOS-MAN. It looks like Aer Lingus will end up with route next summer. So we will see shortly.

Airlines are betting that leisure travel will come back faster than business travel.

Wow, this thread, my favorite under Transit and Infrastructure, was, like everything else, filled with nothing but bad news since Covid began. But this week, so much good news here. Glad to see such an uptick in flights and new routes for Logan. Can't wait to get vaccinated, and be one of those leisure travelers that the airlines are betting on. Cheers, y'all, for a healthy, a happy, and a traveling 2021!

Airlines are betting that leisure travel will come back faster than business travel.

This is what I've been saying for months (and not just because my kid is an HTM major in college).

The age 65+ set is living longer with more travel "experience" expectations than in any time in human history.

And not just in the US - - think about what is happening globally. People who have lived subsistence hut existences for thousands of years in Malaysia, China, Turkey, Brazil, etc. are moving to middle class/techno classes by the TENS of millions each year. This is a demographic explosion that will continue for decades.

What is nice is that Boston is almost uniquely positioned as a historical city, and a major ocean port at that.

As Gretzky would say about being where the puck WILL BE, not just where it is, holds true here. It is an inevitability.

Wow, this thread, my favorite under Transit and Infrastructure, was, like everything else, filled with nothing but bad news since Covid began. But this week, so much good news here. Glad to see such an uptick in flights and new routes for Logan. Can't wait to get vaccinated, and be one of those leisure travelers that the airlines are betting on. Cheers, y'all, for a healthy, a happy, and a traveling 2021!

Americans tend to be shortsighted. The bigger risk is to lose sight of the long term trend. You have every right to be excited about what the future holds in this regard. I dont think most people have grasped the actual size of the potential. What is particularly funny is that Everett Ledger "reporting" about the Encore having to be sold at 1/3 the cost of the development just two years ago.

Oh, absolutely. Estimates vary, but I accept an estimate that 30% of business travel (air, rental car, and business-travel hotels) has been permanently removed by this reset and won't return (from the new setpoint. During the recovery, it'll bounce back to 70% of its former volume and then grow by 3% a year, or whatever and so take nearly a decade for us to get back to 2019's business travel volumes)

So the idea of a FF-loyal hub-captive business flyer, becomes a much less central part of airline strategy, and instead the 6-trips-a-year kind of flyer becomes much much more important.

The motivation to change at a hub (and willingness to call it time at work) goes away. In its place is a desire for nonstops and (probably) more checked bags. So the hub carriers are all scrambling to put planes into leisure markets--you can zoom for work, but you can't relax.

There's also a real opportunity for afforable pay-to-upgrade options (Transatlantic on Norwegian's business class, transcon in Even More Space on jetblue) that people will be paying for out of their own pocket. Already a friend recommended that I look at paying for an F ticket for personal trips simply because First was no longer that much more expensive, but it guaranteed space and speed.

Back