Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised if JetBlue is planning to cut back LGA shuttle frequency and repurposing that capacity to leisure destinations post covid. Especially with the AA partnership giving JetBlue FF an option.

If they can snag more Gatwick slot pairs, that'll give their London service a real shot. Stanstead is going to be tough sledding for them.

Ideally, they'd run something like Boston - Gatwick twice daily, JFK - Gatwick four times daily. We'll have to see how things playout with Norwegian abandoning TATL flying.

the airline in 2019 was the largest foreign carrier in New York, carrying more than two million passengers to Europe and other destinations.
Long-haul service was provided by the airline’s 37 widebody 787 Dreamliners. Norwegian has both the 787-8 (291 seats, 8,823 mile range), and the 787-9 (344 seats, 9,196 mile range.)
Average prices for new 787-8 models run around $248 million, while a new 787-9 is pegged at $292 million. (Obviously, aircraft prices are highly negotiable.) How about a used one? Controller.com has a 787-8 built in 2017 listed at $122 million, with three others “Call for price.”

LGW train is a really sweet way to get to/from London Bridge / City of London (if you're willing to do a whole days worth of walking within the airport)

(I will miss Norwegian & 787 but I hope JetBlue will innovate similarly)

JetBlue’s new Mint class seat for London flights, essentially a knockoff of Virgin’s antiquated and recently abandoned herringbone layout.

The layout they had on the 787? That was tighter (minimal storage, no surfaces apart from the tray table for laptops/ipads, etc.) and didn't have nearly the same level of privacy that JetBlue's layout appears to have. Also, can you name a commercial carrier that has a better product on a narrow body? I wasn't expecting a world beater here giving the limited real estate available in the A321, but this looks pretty solid to me.

We may not see Boston-London on JetBlue this year. Due to plane availability, its either going to be JFK or BOS.

My guess on how it plays out

1) They get a LHR slot and launch JFK
2) They do not get a LHR slot and launch either Boston-Gatwick/Stansted

During their earnings call JetBlue mentioned midwest expansion and Southeast coastal destinations. Alleged internal memos mention St. Louis, Kansas City, San Antonio, and Milwaukee as the next US destinations. The Southeast coastal destinations appeared well covered for Logan (Savannah, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Charleston). The only thing I could think of would be Myrtle Beach or a destination for NC Beaches like Wilmington. Obviously, post-pandemic economic recovery is needed for some of these routes.

Last edited:
Allegiant will announce Boston-Indianapolis and Boston-Norfolk VA tomorrow.

They are also launching

Providence-Savannah GA
Portsmouth NH-Nashville

The biggest expansion is in Rapid City SD - which I can see being a 2 weekly summer route from Boston at some point.

EDIT: Official Release is here: https://ir.allegiantair.com/news-re...ounces-major-service-expansion-34-new-nonstop

Both destinations from Logan are Mon/Fri service
Providence-Savannah GA was already a seasonal route.
Rapid City expansion is for Sturgis rally only in August.

Last edited:
Allegiant will announce Boston-Indianapolis and Boston-Norfolk VA tomorrow.

I fly BOS-ORF quite a bit as I have family in the area and I'm curious as to how Allegiant plans to price it in order to be competitive. Prior to the pandemic flights were regularly sub $200 on AA or DL (DL flew non-stop pre-COVID) and not hard to fund for $100 or less (main cabin). Checking Allegiant's website, they have promo fares for about $80 r/t. Presumably they won't keep them that low forever. And when you factor in the cost of a seat assignment and carry-on bag ($40ish + $20-30ish), there's no real reason to choose Allegiant over the others even with the $80 base fare.

And when you factor in the cost of a seat assignment and carry-on bag ($40ish + $20-30ish), there's no real reason to choose Allegiant over the others even with the $80 base fare.

Thats their business model though. Trick people with fees.

On the flip side, looks like Air Canada is going to be suspending service to Boston for a bit.

They're making suspensions/delays across the board - London, Dublin, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Denver, Washington - Reagan, Ft. Myers and delaying the launches of Dubai, Hong Kong and Tel Aviv.

Thats their business model though. Trick people with fees.

That’s true, I just wonder how sustainable it will be out of BOS where there are competitors (Spirit, Frontier) and larger carriers as alternatives.

That’s true, I just wonder how sustainable it will be out of BOS where there are competitors (Spirit, Frontier) and larger carriers as alternatives.

Many of Allegiant's Logan routes are formerly unserved markets that cannot go daily and are more tailored for people in those cities to visit Boston such as the Grand Rapids route.

The two exceptions are the Florida routes Fort Walton/Destin (still formerly unserved) and Sarasota/Bradenton.

I am actually surprised they are going into routes that are well served especially Indianapolis unless they see weekend/touristy travel traffic going 1-stop and think they can skim that.

Note: right now Norfolk VA-ORF is not served and not loaded for this summer by Delta but that is a market with legitimate travel demand in both directions.

American announces some new domestic flights
OriginDestinationSeason
BOSAsheville, North Carolina (AVL)June 5 – Nov. 6
BOSColumbus, Ohio (CMH)Aug. 17, year-round
BOSJackson Hole, Wyoming (JAC)June 5 – Sept. 4
BOSTraverse City, Michigan (TVC)June 5 – Sept. 6
BOSWilmington, North Carolina (ILM)June 5 – Aug. 14

I hope BOS becomes a Focus City for AA again soon.

More like a global hub if you take the two domestic airlines and their partners in cooperation (American/JetBlue + British Airways/Iberia/Qatar Airways/Cathay Pacific/Aer Lingus/Japan Airlines). I think JetBlue interlines or codeshares with all of American's international partners who serve Boston but not vice versa (especially Emirates!)

Nothing is loaded yet but Columbus should be at least 2x daily but I'm wondering if the others will be daily.

My guess is

2-3 daily Columbus E-170
1 daily Asheville E-170
2 weekly Wilmington E-170
2 weekly Traverse City E-170 - I am assuming this is a tourist route for New Englanders to see Great Lakes especially Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
2 weekly Jackson Hole A319 (may work well with JetBlue's Bozeman flight - I think there are tours that start/end in the two locations)

Also JetBlue expanded Newark big time (Including Antigua which is due for a weekly from Logan) and added Boise and Kalispell, Montana from JFK. The only love Logan Airport got was Key West being expanded to year round service up to 4 weekly. It also sounds like Boston-Washington National is being trimmed a bit (down to 4 daily) due to the partnership with American.

Back