Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I distinctly remember being stuffed on the second to last row on a Delta 757 from Boston to Paris and swore that I would never do narrowbody across the Atlantic again. That was in 2015, and the last time that I took an American flagged carrier across. No idea what the loads are going to be like going into Europe / UK this year, but I'm flying LH into Boston in two weeks, and if my last flight was any indication, this isn't going to a full flight. I did take Icelandair in 2015 but I had a business class ticket so that wasn't so bad, and splitting the flight actually made it much more tolerable, so I'm curious to go JetBlue if they go to Dublin then I can hop to Germany. It would be nice I think if they did do Dublin as it is a preclearance airport because it's difficult walking from E10 to passport control / Global Entry, especially if you have a medical issue.
On a side note, I took a United 737 from Boston to ORD on Christmas. I have to admit that it wasn't a bad flight even in economy class. It seemed to have similar legroom to JetBlue, which a big dude like myself is grateful for.

My last flight to Europe (Spain) I picked an A340 on purpose because theyre going away :(

I distinctly remember being stuffed on the second to last row on a Delta 757 from Boston to Paris and swore that I would never do narrowbody across the Atlantic again. That was in 2015, and the last time that I took an American flagged carrier across. No idea what the loads are going to be like going into Europe / UK this year, but I'm flying LH into Boston in two weeks, and if my last flight was any indication, this isn't going to a full flight. I did take Icelandair in 2015 but I had a business class ticket so that wasn't so bad, and splitting the flight actually made it much more tolerable, so I'm curious to go JetBlue if they go to Dublin then I can hop to Germany. It would be nice I think if they did do Dublin as it is a preclearance airport because it's difficult walking from E10 to passport control / Global Entry, especially if you have a medical issue.
On a side note, I took a United 737 from Boston to ORD on Christmas. I have to admit that it wasn't a bad flight even in economy class. It seemed to have similar legroom to JetBlue, which a big dude like myself is grateful for.

I would suggest reading up on the proposed JetBlue TATL flights. They are doing BOS-LHR and JFK-LHR, and possibly both to Gatwick as well. A321LRs. Dublin is not in the offering at all.

I flew Norwegian from PVD to DUB and back on the (unbeknownst to me, or most people at the time) extra-crashy 737-MAX in October, 2018, returning five days before Lion Air Flight 610 went down. I was impressed by the aircraft because it was brand new, roomy, and perfectly comfortable for a transatlantic crossing. I even felt a little more confident in this plane and its ability to deliver me across the Atlantic than I probably usually would be, it was brand spanking new and clean as a whistle, so I thought "I mean, what are the chances?". I was lucky, of course, but I found out a few days later what the chances actually were.

I would suggest reading up on the proposed JetBlue TATL flights. They are doing BOS-LHR and JFK-LHR, and possibly both to Gatwick as well. A321LRs. Dublin is not in the offering at all.
I've heard that DUB and CDG are near-term destinations for JetBlue. Either way, my disdain of LHR basically means I won't transit or O&D there.

I've heard that DUB and CDG are near-term destinations for JetBlue. Either way, my disdain of LHR basically means I won't transit or O&D there.
If you can stay in T5 LHR is great, the second you have to transfer terminals it's a nightmare. The BOS-LHR BA flights all use T5 so I don't mind them, but most other carriers including AA don't use T5 so it becomes a transfer nightmare.

I've done a 757 with Aer Lingus from Boston to Ireland that was very reasonable in terms of comfort but few years ago I did WestJet on a 737 from Toronto to Glasgow and it was the least comfortable flight of my life, no 737 was ever supposed to go that far. Think a lot depends on carrier layout, the WestJet flight had limited recline and very tight seat pitch (and no entertainment or food service) while the similar width Aer Lingus 757 definitely felt like a more roomy layout. I certainly do miss the daily BA 747 flights from LHR to BOS though, but those are definitely never coming back.

Anywhere in Western Europe is a candidate for JetBlue service. JFK-LHR will be the first add, with BOS-LHR to come later.

When discussing planes, theres very little talk about bathroom per pax, but that really becomes a comfort issue after 4 hours.

Some airline room bathrooms to add extra seats, so you get a permanent line in the aisle

If you can stay in T5 LHR is great, the second you have to transfer terminals it's a nightmare. The BOS-LHR BA flights all use T5 so I don't mind them, but most other carriers including AA don't use T5 so it becomes a transfer nightmare.
I don't have anything on OneWorld so BA has never been a thing for me. I flew them once from LHR to FRA, and it was such an amazing flight that I took LH the next time.

When discussing planes, theres very little talk about bathroom per pax, but that really becomes a comfort issue after 4 hours.

Some airline room bathrooms to add extra seats, so you get a permanent line in the aisle
This is the reason that I will very much miss the A340 with the downstairs toilets. The A350 is quite nice with having facilities that my fat ass can move around in.

I've done a 757 with Aer Lingus from Boston to Ireland that was very reasonable in terms of comfort but few years ago I did WestJet on a 737 from Toronto to Glasgow and it was the least comfortable flight of my life, no 737 was ever supposed to go that far. Think a lot depends on carrier layout, the WestJet flight had limited recline and very tight seat pitch (and no entertainment or food service) while the similar width Aer Lingus 757 definitely felt like a more roomy layout. I certainly do miss the daily BA 747 flights from LHR to BOS though, but those are definitely never coming back.
Its basically the exact same fuselage. the 707, 727, 737 and 757 all have the same basic fuselage cross section (at least the upper lobe where you sit); the joke used to go that Boeing just produced fuselages in one continuous stretch and cut off bits of varying length to make each model.

However, your premise stands; the 1960s jet set were doing that flight regularly in perfect comfort aboard a 707. Its all about how the plane is configured; For reference, the 737 MAX 10 is 43.8m long; the 707 was 44.2. The difference is that in a 2 class layout the 737 is designed to carry 204 people, or 230 max in a single class. the 707 was designed to carry 137 and 174. Ignoring premium classes for the moment, in Economy, inches and fractions thereof in seat pitch and width really make a difference. United (and most of the other global airlines) prepandemic reconfigured their 777 fleets to densify them and have 10 seats abreast (3-4-3) instead of 9 across (3-3-3) in economy. (this was already the norm for some Asian carriers) Seat width went from ~18in to 17.05in. On a domestic 737, an economy seat is 17.2in wide - and the same amount of pitch. In other words, you have less space and feel more cramped on a 777 on some of the longest routes in the world - Newark to Hong Kong is a 16 hour flight, and double middles don't help - than you get on a 50 minute ditty to Newark. At this point, I wouldn't complain about a narrowbody across the Atlantic. Besides, Jetblue's Mint premium product is really dang competitive. It alone is basically why United flew the PS BOS-SFO service on an international 757 - to compete lieflat to lieflat. It'll do absolutely beautifully across the atlantic.

Because they're getting so long and impossible to get to the back, this is why a lot of new narrow body deliveries have a third forward/midcabin economy bathroom, or two mid cabin and one rear. Sometimes its more about the physical distribution; anecdotally, it feels better when they're spaced apart rather than all 3 at the rear. Some airlines sticking with 2 in economy physically separate them by putting one each mid and rear cabin.

Last edited:
I flew Lisbon-Boston on SATA (now Azores Airlines) and it was the tightest seat I've ever been in even though the A310 was a widebody. I'm 5'8" and was surprisingly miserable.

Similar to others' positive experience, I also flew Kona-Denver on a 757, a flight slightly longer than Boston-London, and was fine.

Anywhere in Western Europe is a candidate for JetBlue service. JFK-LHR will be the first add, with BOS-LHR to come later.

They have definitely had been eyeing Amsterdam since they spoke to Schiphol to try to get a list of available slots. However they may have been using this to make a case to DOT or EU. https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-is...in-london-and-amsterdam-for-european-flights/

Lots of cuts from JetBlue: No Baltimore Syracuse Rochester or Burbank.

One the positive side: Wilmington NC going to 5 weekly.

Cutting Syracuse and Rochester might be related to the new AA alliance, as american eagle serves those two routes.

Cutting Syracuse and Rochester might be related to the new AA alliance, as american eagle serves those two routes.

For some reason I thought AA cut Syracuse and was surprised to see they are actually doing 3 daily Rochester with ERJ-145 this Summer.

The Syracuse schedule is horrible for connections on Syracuse-Boston end since it arrives at 10:19pm.

They are not getting widebodies; they are specifically getting long range narrowbodies for this. Many east to west coast flights are on narrowbodies and exceed 6 hours regularly. Also, JetBlue has better legroom than many widebodies in economy and their new business class looks really good and on par with other larger widebody airline cabins.

LAX-BOS has to be significantly less than 6 hours, no? I'd imagine no more than 5, and maybe 5.5 going west.

OK nevermind, not a huge difference between 5.5 and 6, lol.

LAX-BOS has to be significantly less than 6 hours, no? I'd imagine no more than 5, and maybe 5.5 going west.

OK nevermind, not a huge difference between 5.5 and 6, lol.

As someone who's generally on that flight path 1x or 2x a year, it's about 6h30m to LAX and 5h30m back. the shorter flight time back makes redeyes less useful than you want it to, but, the redeyes are pretty full of budget travellers too.

the best tracker of how quickly/slowly airline passenger traffic is responding to COVID cases, vaccinations, etc. is the TSA daily count which compares 2021 with 2020 and 2019.

I think domestic travel will bounce back quicker than Massport's estimate in January, if only because the pace of vaccinations is accelerating.. California has announced that nearly all restrictions end on June 15. However, because Europe lags badly on vaccinations, I also think the number of passengers crossing the pond will be depressed until 2022.

FWIW, Jamie Dimon, head of JP Morgan Chase, issued his annual letter yesterday. He expects an economic boom through at least 2023..

Back