Longfellow Bridge update

For a quarter billion I wish the new deck was going to be paved with engineered stone setts (to slow down traffic and not ever require repaving) and have a radiant heating system (to eliminate ice/snow/wet conditions and not require salt or plowing which damages the bridge). Of course, I doubt the state could even create such a roadway on solid ground for that amount of money without overruns or completely screwing up the construction.

Starts & Stops
The Boston Globe
For future of the Longfellow, task force crunching the numbers
By Eric Moskowitz

The Longfellow Bridge is many things to many people ? historic landmark, visual icon, engineering marvel, symbol of neglect, and centerpiece of the state?s $3 billion Accelerated Bridge Program. But just how many people use it?

Some would have you believe that the bridge carries 49,500 automobiles a day ? a figure that appears in Wikipedia, in a 2008 press release from the state Department of Conservation and Recreation (at the time, the bridge?s owner and caretaker), and in multiple news articles over the past few years.

In fact, the bridge carries half that many vehicles each weekday, just under 26,000, a figure that drops by a few thousand more when weekends are included. That is the combined traffic for vehicles headed to Cambridge and Boston. But I?m betting that someone once mistook it for the number of vehicles in one direction and doubled it, and that others saw the figure and perpetuated it.

Vehicle traffic on the bridge fell almost every year over the past decade, down from an average weekday high of nearly 31,000 in 2000, according to Central Transportation Planning Staff data.

The state estimates that each vehicle on the bridge carries an average of 1.22 people.

By comparison, about 100,000 riders cross the Longfellow each day on the Red Line, according to the MBTA, making it first and foremost a public transit bridge.

Full-day pedestrian and bicycle estimates are harder to come by but probably number a few thousand.

The figures were presented earlier this summer to the Longfellow task force, convened by the Department of Transportation and scheduled to meet through October.

The task force ? which includes transportation officials, civic leaders, representatives of nearby institutions, and leaders of bike, pedestrian, and environmental advocacy groups ? is discussing how to balance transit, roadway, bike, and pedestrian needs during the next six years of bridge reconstruction and in the bridge?s final form.

As previously reported, the state ? as part of a $3 billion program to repair or replace hundreds of aging bridges ? is in the process of spending $300 million or more to shore up the 107-year-old Longfellow for generations to come, a once-a-century investment that naturally has stirred debate.

The bridge for years has been configured to carry two vehicle lanes in each direction, separated by the Red Line tracks, with the Boston-bound road surface widening to three lanes at the Charles Circle approach. The bike paths and sidewalks that flank the roadways are narrow and incomplete. The state initially suggested keeping the same layout with some improvements for bikers and pedestrians, but a network of advocacy groups has called for more dramatic changes, wanting fewer vehicle lanes and wider, more inviting promenades and bike lanes.

It is a debate over how to reconcile the demands of today?s car-centric society with the goals of encouraging more biking, walking, and public transit ? goals that have recently been written into state and federal transportation law and policy to promote fitness and quality of life and reduce carbon emissions.

State officials have said they want to make the decision based on facts and analysis, rather than emotional appeals or past practice. The usage figures are part of that, and they include a count of everyone crossing the bridge in both directions in one hour of peak traffic during a recent evening rush: 10,202 Red Line riders; 2,622 vehicle drivers and passengers; 326 pedestrians; and 167 bicyclists.
With such low traffic volumes would one traffic lane in each direction be enough for auto capacity? It would allow a ton of of space for widened sidewalks and bike lanes.

Maybe someday it will be pedestrian/bike on the sides and 4 tracks in the middle.

/pipedream

It used to have 4 tracks; two were for trolleys.

The tracks do make things harder. If it were just a road bridge then you could take one lane out and not change too much since the road will still be balanced (e.g. one lane which could reverse flow at peak traffic times). With the existing set up you have to be sure that one direction is seeing a dramatic difference in traffic to justify removing a lane.

Edit: found this while Googleing
This is the proposal from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation
3.jpg

Then the Liveable Streets proposal
4.jpg

Link

I'm all for the livable streets proposal, but what is the point of adding 2 1/2 feet on each side of the red line?

I'm all for the livable streets proposal, but what is the point of adding 2 1/2 feet on each side of the red line?

I was wondering the same thing last night.

But if I recall correctly, the Red Line does not have proper signal blocks on the bridge because there's not much room for signal boxes or something like that? I don't know...

The MBTA reservation currently has no clearance for a worker to stand when a train comes by. So by adding a few feet it would increase safety for the workers.

Having clearance on the sides of the Red Line would allow work to be done during the day. This would eliminate a lot of the weekend and emergency busing situations.

Also, why would the LS proposal want the crash barrier between bikes and peds, and a buffer between bikes and cars? I'm sure there's a reason but intuitively I'd imagine it would be the other way around.

I'm not so sure about the livable streets proposal. I guess it depends on how well the traffic can handle with only 1 lane. I can't help think that part of the reason many support the idea of 1 car lane is because they are not drivers (I'm a biker myself), so of course they support losing a lane for pedestrian and bike support. Now, if that idea works, then I'm all for it, but I worry that the gains of an nice bike lane and a nice promenade will not outweigh the possible super bottleneck of having 1 lane on each side.

If only the bridge can be widened to a greater span so everything can fit. Then again, why not throw a heat system and all the other bell and whistle. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that during construction that part of the original plan was to put an Art Deco style tower in middle of the bridge before that got cut out. That would be epic to complete that plan.

Also, why would the LS proposal want the crash barrier between bikes and peds, and a buffer between bikes and cars?

I think some of the concern about going down to one travel lane has to do with emergency vehicle access to MGH. If there's no barrier between the generous bike lane and the auto lane, an amulance could squeeze past auto traffic.

I think the best thing would be to add a 3rd track to stick disabled trains in during the day when needed.

I'm not so sure about the livable streets proposal. I guess it depends on how well the traffic can handle with only 1 lane. I can't help think that part of the reason many support the idea of 1 car lane is because they are not drivers (I'm a biker myself), so of course they support losing a lane for pedestrian and bike support. Now, if that idea works, then I'm all for it, but I worry that the gains of an nice bike lane and a nice promenade will not outweigh the possible super bottleneck of having 1 lane on each side.

If only the bridge can be widened to a greater span so everything can fit. Then again, why not throw a heat system and all the other bell and whistle. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that during construction that part of the original plan was to put an Art Deco style tower in middle of the bridge before that got cut out. That would be epic to complete that plan.

More bottlenecks, please. The city is too car friendly.

Also, thanks to all the quick responses concerning the widening of the red line. Makes sense.

The bridge would be a terrible place to add a third track. Way back, 1980?, when the red line trains and stations were increased from 4 cars to 6 the Boston Globe had an editorial suggesting that since the Common was going to be dug up for the expansion the the T should add a storage area under the Common for disabled trains and to store empty trains for rush hour.

I need more justification on the good of bottlenecks that being "too car friendly." Wouldn't the ideal be a bridge with everything- lanes, bikes lanes, promenade, tracks, and all better than all of that and 1 lane? If the bike lane and promenade only pleases... I don't know... 8,000 people a day and the 1 lane car lane frustrates 20,000 drivers, I have a hard time justifying it. If you are saying that in support of the idea that Boston should encourage people to walk, bike, and more, I rather see that done by elevating such things be equal to the accommodation for cars than just making cars be treat like how the MBTA is being treated right now.

Would it cost more? Maybe, but I rather have one mode that works well than all modes works poorly. For that reason, I think the MassDOT proposal looks like a fair compromise, as long all modes works well (and I'm assuming that 10 feet sidewalk with 5' bike lane and the red line can go just fine with 27').

Dreaming now: When funds become infinite, I'd like to see a covered footbridge from Wadsworth Street to Clarendon Street. Being able to walk/bike from the heart of Kendall into the heart of Back Bay could be a very useful link that's currently missing.

Whomever thought of sidewalk and congestion tolling needs to be hunted down and sent to the gulag.

Let's tax all the people so that only the very rich can travel and enjoy gloriously spacious infrastructure free of the pesky commoners! We can claim it is green, place ourselves on a faux moral high ground too, for added smugness, and an unearned sense of superiority! Woweeeee!

Plenty of tax money is already allocated to maintenance, it is simply horribly mismanaged. Every time there isn't sufficient money for something due to incompetence or fraud the solution is always, "WE NEED MORE MONEY!", instead of, "we need to become more efficient in how we spend".

Back