Longfellow Bridge update

Do away with vehicles and make it 4 tracks and 2 bike lanes.

Throw the Blue Line extension on it, hit up Kendal, down the Grand Junction, follow the Pike to Riverside.

YES.

I believe bike lanes and wider sidewalks are part of the plan, but it's going to be a mess while construction is going on.

Rickety

4726261156_574ab7176c_b.jpg

4726254870_34aab7ffd8_b.jpg

4726252240_ab2f6eeab3_b.jpg

4726253698_c0f3a66db9_b.jpg

4725609495_889e54be16_b.jpg

4725610749_da294d6592_b.jpg

4726262502_57a97646a0_b.jpg

Rickety, but still beautiful

4725613075_e2448583c8_b.jpg

You're life flashes before your eyes if you walk across the Longfellow and a Red Line train crosses. The whole western side side shakes violently. I'm not exaggerating.

The state of this bridge is an absolute disgrace. Welcome to the Land of Deferred Maintenance.

History Channel did a good report on this in general, about the state of American infrastructure. The Tapanzee is also quite unstable. It's quite upsetting and when you realize that lots of our infrastructure was built when construction was a lot cheaper, and now we have to repair a lot of it at todays crazy costs. It's a major challenge for a maturing superpower.

It seems we have another one of the 'rip-er-down' sort.

Loony over Longfellow
By Brian McGrory

Please circle the date on your calendars: Monday, June 21, 2010. It?s the date that state officials announced plans to rebuild the Longfellow Bridge, but more to the point, it?s the date when Massachusetts lost its collective mind.

It?s not the project that?s so bad. The Longfellow is a perfectly nice bridge in dire need of repairs. It spans the Charles between Boston and Cambridge. It carries the Red Line. It?s a journeyman?s bridge with a dash of Old World style.

The problem is the price tag, which is $260 million.

Think about this, ladies and gentlemen. We are about to spend 260,000,000 dollars on a bridge that?s already there, and nobody seems to be batting an eye.

To put this in some perspective, The New York Times published a recent story about an amazing bridge that?s nearing completion above the Hoover Dam on the Nevada/Arizona border. Engineers used unprecedented feats to build a structure in 120 degree heat and high winds 900 feet above the Colorado River. There was no foundation to support construction.

The cost to create this bridge: $240 million.

Or travel downwind from the Longfellow to the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge less than half a mile away. It?s the widest cable-stayed bridge in the world, with 10 lanes of traffic inside and outside the cables. It has become a signature structure in this city since it was dedicated in 2002, its purplish glow gracing posters and postcards.

The cost: $103 million.

I?m no math genius, but by my calculation, it?s going to run 2 1/2 times more to rehab the Longfellow than it cost to design and build the spanking new Zakim Bridge in a stronger economy less than a decade ago.

And the state projecting a price tag of $260 million is like Bill Clinton saying he never had sex with that woman. It?s nice to believe, but you are skeptical.

If they come in under $500 million within five years of their deadline, the champagne will flow like we just won the World Series.

The feds are paying 80 percent of the projected costs, but probably won?t pick up a dime on the overrun.

All of which is part of a Massachusetts phenomenon that has to be stopped. Ever since the Big Dig, we?ve lost all sense of proportion about what projects should cost and what we can afford. We build high schools that run toward $200 million. We build rail lines in the hundreds of millions. We fuel the fact that everything in Massachusetts, from health care to electricity to construction, costs more than just about anywhere else.

I called the State House yesterday with this proposal: Build a brand new bridge next to the Longfellow, and once it?s finished, knock the old boy down. You could undoubtedly get more lanes for less money, and for the preservationists, transfer the iconic salt and pepper shaker-shaped columns from the old to the new.

Jeffrey Mullan, the state secretary of transportation, was kind enough to hear me out before shooting me down. He decried something called the 4(f) process, which a Federal Highway Administration website said ?is considered by many to be a complex law.??

Include me among the many.

I?m paraphrasing here, but I think federal guidelines call for anyone trying to change a historic transportation structure or build near parkland to burn in hell. The Longfellow is more than a century old, is in a protected district, and crosses parks.

?I admit, it?s a lot of money; it?s too much.?? Mullan said. But he didn?t offer alternatives.

So we?ll accept that the bridge has been sorely neglected for decades and the feds have onerous rules. We?ll stipulate that Deval Patrick has stepped up where prior governors have looked the other way.

But what we are willing to pay is utterly ridiculous. As much as we need to fix the Longfellow, Massachusetts also has to fix the way it gets things done.

http://boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/06/23/loony_over_longfellow/

Who is doing the design? The same guys who did Newton North High School?

Building a new bridge next to the current one would be very difficult if you want to maintain Red Line service throughout the construction period. I also wonder what land taking it might require from MIT or Mass. General or other landowners.

I'm sure this project would be much less expensive if it were practical and allowable to shut the entire bridge down to all traffic (car, pedestrian, and Red Line). But it isn't.

I guess I wasn't the only one that thought 260,000,000 is a lot of money. Any one have specific reasons why it would cost so much?

Few reasons:

Having the bridge remain open to traffic during construction.

Union labor extortion and the cost inflation/escalation resulting from.

24 hour work (how many skilled welders and heavy equipment operators want to work at 2am?) I assume to allow use of the Red Line and traffic which passes beneath the bridge.

Environmental mitigation of all the fairly nasty construction materials over the Charles.

Why not shut the bridge to traffic and just keep the red line moving?

Why not shut the bridge to traffic and just keep the red line moving?

Well you would have to shut down Red Line service at some point.

Traffic engineers would cry foul if you shut down auto traffic all the time but the fact is that much of the traffic would find alternative routes. People can change their habits quickly some times.

Cars can find alternate routes, but the Red Line can't be rerouted, and pedestrians really can't either (given how far away the next two bridges are).

To be honest, the only historic aspects of the bridge I care for are made of stone. I wouldn't mind if they tore out all the old ironwork, and the entire traffic deck, and totally reconstructed them with new materials in a contemporary style. In fact, I think it would look pretty damn cool.

How about this: knock down one side of traffic, rebuild the deck there, and divert traffic to the other side (one lane each way). Do this again for the opposite side. Finally, close the two inner lanes to work on the Red Line.

....I wouldn't mind if they tore out all the old ironwork, and the entire traffic deck, and totally reconstructed them with new materials in a contemporary style. In fact, I think it would look pretty damn cool.

Good heavens no. The new look could very well be amazing, but I'd never want it to come at the expense of that ironwork. Once it's gone, it's never coming back.

I don't know, man. The state it's in, I already think it's never coming back. It'll take a hell of a restoration job.

Back