Longfellow Bridge update

Great article. Interesting story on finding Rockport Granite and the Hines Bridge up in Amesbury- I use it almost every day when I'm at home. It's good to know it'll be put to use on another bridge I use often.

There's a big shock.

Happens with old bridges. Condition is way worse then they first thought. Though the contractor is asking for a Red Line weekend suspension in October so they aren't that far behind.

One of my friends who works for J.F. White mentioned to me that construction was briefly halted this past winter due to the weather and that there were some design changes by MassDOT.

Does anyone have any updates on the project? I went to their website and the last picture update they have is from back in August.

Does anyone have any updates on the project? I went to their website and the last picture update they have is from back in August.

Mass -- in the past week I've:
  • driven on both Mem and Storrow and passed under the bridge: It looks as if most if not all the inbound bridge deck is gone [at least what you can see as you wiz by under] and work is underway on the structure
  • When I last crossed on the Red Line during daylight -- the fence obscured the work from the view from the train windows so that I couldn't tell what was happening other than a lot of equipment was located on the Inbound Side

You can sign up for a newsletter on this site:
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MADOT/subscriber/new?topic_id=MADOT_11

from yesterday's email

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation’s (MassDOT) design/build contractor for the Longfellow Bridge Rehabilitation Project, White-Skanska-Consigli (WSC), will temporarily perform overnight demolition work during the third shift beginning on Monday, February 2, 2015. This schedule will be in place for four to six weeks. Third shift work hours are from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.

This work requires the closure of two travel lanes on Storrow Drive east and westbound. These lane closures are prohibited between 5:00 AM and 11:00 PM, necessitating the overnight work. Third shift work during this period of time will be located on Spans 1 and 2 of the bridge over Storrow Drive east and westbound.

Activities during these work hours will include localized demolition of the concrete deck, including jack hammering and saw cutting, and removal of steel columns. Noise levels will be monitored during the work. WSC will implement appropriate noise control measures as needed. Pedestrian, bicyclist and vehicular travel across the bridge will be maintained in the current configuration.

Well, this is understandable. How could they have known that repairing a historic to exacting specifications could be complicated? Completely caught them off guard it did!

Globe
Longfellow Bridge construction delayed by two years

By Nicole Dungca Globe Staff July 29, 2015

Disruptive traffic restrictions on the Longfellow Bridge will be extended by two years until about December 2018 because of complications associated with preserving the historic nature of the century-old structure, according to the state transportation department.

Under the new timeline, commuters will have to endure at least two more years of traffic jams and interruptions of MBTA service on the vital link that connects Cambridge and Boston over the Charles River.

The bridge, known for its iconic “salt-and-pepper shaker towers,” has been estimated by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation to carry about 28,000 vehicles and more than 90,000 transit users on the Red Line daily when it is fully open.

Michael Verseckes, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, said that to preserve the venerable span’s original construction, workers must use complex techniques that have fallen out of use.

“MassDOT is now working with the contractor to speed up the process to safely repair the historic bridge,” Verseckes said in an e-mail.

The delay, which the agency has not yet been publicly announced, stretches to five years a project that had been originally estimated at three. Verseckes said the department will soon schedule meetings to notify the public about the new timeline.

Workers in 2013 began the project to strengthen and upgrade the steel-and-granite structure, but retain its historical integrity. Currently, only one Boston-bound lane is open on the bridge, which fouls traffic in the bustling sections of Cambridge’s Kendall Square and Boston’s Beacon Hill. When complete, the bridge will have two vehicle lanes into Boston, one into Cambridge, and a bike lane going each direction.

The delay could eventually increase the initial $255 million cost estimate to rebuild the span, but MassDOT has yet to estimate any cost overruns. If the costs do rise, officials say they could ask the contractor, JF White-Skanska-Consigli, to foot the bill.

The agency has also set aside about $48 million in other costs not included in the bid price. That includes $25.54 million in contingency costs, $7.5 million in police costs, and $15 million in incentives, such as rewarding the contractor for meeting project deadlines.

According to MassDOT, workers have had to deal with such historical quirks as lead-filled sand within the foundations of the towers and misaligned arches that have shifted over time.

Dennis Banzan, the vice mayor of Cambridge, and state Representatives Timothy J. Toomey Jr. and Jay D. Livingstone learned more about the new timeline during a tour this week. Toomey, a Democrat who also serves as a Cambridge city councilor, and Livingstone, a Boston Democrat, sent a request for a progress update to the MassDOT highway administrator in late March.

Toomey said he is frustrated by the delays, but acknowledged that the project needs to be done the right way.

Livingstone also expressed disappointment. “It’s certainly an inconvenience for the drivers going from Boston to Cambridge, but it’s something that people have adjusted to the best that they can,” he said.

One of the conditions of the contract was that workers would ensure that the bridge, which was built in the early 1900s, would retain its historical character.

Charles Sullivan, the executive director of the Cambridge Historical Commission, said he was not surprised by delays. “It’s a very, very complicated process and project that involves a lot of technology that is not current in the building trades today,” Sullivan said.

For example, the bridge was first constructed using rivets, a technique that was eventually replaced by bolting and welding. The laborious process includes heating the rivets up to 2,000 degrees, then jamming them into a hole before they cool.

MassDOT began the task of removing and rebuilding the towers in 2014. Each 58-foot tower has 515 granite stones, each of which varies in size and can weigh as much as three tons.

State officials say they will work to get the project completed sooner than December 2018. They also note the project could have taken even longer, but MassDOT and the contractor worked to reduce the timeline. Additional work will continue until August 2019, but will not affect traffic.

The state last completed a major rehabilitation project on the bridge in 1959. According to MassDOT, inspections in 2007 and 2008 confirmed that the bridge had “significant deterioration.” The state completed a number of interim repairs to help increase its life span before commissioning the current project.

Nicole Dungca can be reached at nicole.dungca@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @ndungca.

It's like a reflex for reporters to talk about how it "snarls traffic." Such bullshit. The amount of car traffic on the Longfellow is a tiny rounding error compared to the number of people carried by the Red Line + walking + biking (mostly the Red Line, though).

Windshield perspective.

BREAKING: Old things that have horrible deferred maintenance problems are complicated and expensive to repair, probably shouldn't have maintenance deferred for so long. Full team coverage starts at 5:00.

It's like a reflex for reporters to talk about how it "snarls traffic." Such bullshit. The amount of car traffic on the Longfellow is a tiny rounding error compared to the number of people carried by the Red Line + walking + biking (mostly the Red Line, though).

Windshield perspective.

Yeah. The Longfellow's closure is at most a minor inconvenience for drivers. It's much more essential to the transit network though. Presumably the Red Line disruptions will still be minimal as the project goes forward.

So we're look at what? 5 years to rehab this bridge? I would be surprised but then again it took over 2 years for the new elevator at Park Street to be built.

Also, $7.5 million for Police costs???????

Someone's gotta pay the state trooper to sit around in his car all day at the base of bridge and occasionally get out to harass a passing bicycle rider.

Oh, and there's the other one who stands next to the Paul Dudley White path where it intersects the bridge and, I dunno, occasionally directs traffic? Probably making a mess.

Come now, Menino and other politicians (I guess this is state level) worked hard to ensure graft for police details would be part of every construction project, from the biggest to the smallest.

Windshield perspective.

That's false according to the very same article. Pre-construction, Longfellow carried 90k Red Line riders and 28k vehicles, and average occupancy isn't only 1 person.

So people in cars were probably at least 25% of the bridge's traffic, that's not a "tiny rounding error".

That's false according to the very same article. Pre-construction, Longfellow carried 90k Red Line riders and 28k vehicles, and average occupancy isn't only 1 person.

So people in cars were probably at least 25% of the bridge's traffic, that's not a "tiny rounding error".

You are also wrong. Pedestrians and cyclists also make up a portion of the bridge's traffic.

Back