Longwood Center (Joslin Place) | 360 Longwood Ave | Longwood Medical Area

a shame it would have been something else at that height, still looking good!

Didn't go that height due to the the protests of the Winsor School as it would cast shadows on their athletic facilities.

From what I remember it was also a completely different design so impossible to really judge what might have been based off the current incarnation. However, does anybody know if there is the possibility of Blackfan ever being eclipsed as the tallest in the Longwood area?

Funny, more like every moon-bat, wacko NIMBY group came out of the woodwork from the Fenway and Brookline.

Didn't go that height due to the the protests of the Winsor School as it would cast shadows on their athletic facilities.

Too bad about the final height, but I must say that it feels huge in person...not only does it's 10 stories really seem to get up there but it's wide as all hell too.

Here's my basic recollection of the project, going back to ~2003...

Brian Thompson, in collaboration with Cambridge Seven, designed a proposal for a ~30 story residential tower at the corner, above a podium of labs tied exclusively to the adjacent Joslin Clinic. The tower was to be leased to Harvard Medical School for a term of 99 years as student housing, and that long-term lease would have guaranteed financing for the entire project. The protest of the Windsor School and economic forces conspired to kill this scheme. The Harvard Med students ended up living in Trilogy.

In 2006, Kling-Stubbins had taken over design duties, after Joslin had divested of the project, selling the site and development rights to National Development for an exclusively lab project, with a portion of the rentable space devoted to Joslin research. The site was cleared, but then the wheels fell off of the economy. I'm sure we all remember the big cat-box on the corner of Brookline and Longwood...

Here's my basic recollection of the project, going back to ~2003...

Brian Thompson, in collaboration with Cambridge Seven, designed a proposal for a ~30 story residential tower at the corner, above a podium of labs ....The site was cleared, but then the wheels fell off of the economy. I'm sure we all remember the big cat-box on the corner of Brookline and Longwood...

Beton -- that's known as the Boston factor .... sometimes a idea becomes a proposal.... it goes through extensive planning, meetings with the public and ... even property acquisition may begin --- but by the time that all the approvals are in place to actually start construction .... the economy has tanked

Still others just languish as plans for decades .... disappear in obscurity ..... and then suddenly they return with a new name, new owners and ....

Finally there are those that are wired from the start and hit high iron even before the renders are finished

Boston specializes in all three

11077448576_11fe11dda4_b.jpg

Not bad...I like it more than I thought I would, but it'd be so much better if it had just an ounce more personality. It wants to be sleek and Scandinavian like Spaulding but never quite gets there. It coulda been a contendah!

Back