Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

lol...was that serious?

The only thing for sure 8-10 years is that parking will be harder and more expensive than it is today.

You just answered your own question.

I love the brickwork and finishes on these 2 buildings.

I7tN6pi.jpg

LiUUvjZ.jpg

kXg6mmL.jpg

05jRQMg.jpg

^I had the chance to check out some of the units and the roofdeck a few months ago- the exterior quality is translated to the interiors as well. It's really a spectacular building.

Think of parking like any other amenity or feature of a house. You buy what you need, and not everyone needs everything. Some people buy a studio, others buy a one bedroom, or a two bedroom. If at some point you want another bedroom, you find another place.

The one difference with parking though is that it doesn't have to be tied to the house in some way. You can rent or buy a space in a garage, or from someone else who has one but doesn't need it.

Thanks Stefal/Beeline.

Do any builders patch the seams in the precast at street level?

Post #319:
Sidewalks, if you’re going to be living there at least 8-10 years, the next buyer won’t own a car. Everything will be autonomous vehicles one merely dials up. Good chance privately owned cars will be banned from the city center by then.
____

Post #320: 617: "lol...was that serious?
The only thing for sure 8-10 years is that parking will be harder and more expensive than it is today.

____

Shmessy: "Where shall I drop this mike?"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/ma...ces-parking/Y0XZEndZoMU5RHGpKzHXaK/story.html

""If you think parking in Boston is scarce now, just wait a decade or two — when it all but disappears.

That’s the feeling, anyway, of Kent Larson, director of the City Science Initiative and the Changing Places group at the MIT Media Lab.

“We won’t have parking for cars in 15 years in the city,” Larson said Friday, during an afternoon HUBweek panel titled “Housing the Workforce: Typology, Technology, and Techtonics,” which focused on the future of housing in the Boston area......."

Post #319:
____

Post #320: 617: "lol...was that serious?

____

Shmessy: "Where shall I drop this mike?"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/ma...ces-parking/Y0XZEndZoMU5RHGpKzHXaK/story.html

""If you think parking in Boston is scarce now, just wait a decade or two — when it all but disappears.

That’s the feeling, anyway, of Kent Larson, director of the City Science Initiative and the Changing Places group at the MIT Media Lab.

“We won’t have parking for cars in 15 years in the city,” Larson said Friday, during an afternoon HUBweek panel titled “Housing the Workforce: Typology, Technology, and Techtonics,” which focused on the future of housing in the Boston area......."

OK, but in 15 years will we need parking for cars in the city, or will they be an autonomous on-demand service -- freeing up huge amounts of wasted space storing tons of unused metal and plastic.

That story appears to have been duel-inspired by BPDA's long discussion about creating more housing units within existing dwellings (during Thursday's Board meeting).

OK, but in 15 years will we need parking for cars in the city, or will they be an autonomous on-demand service -- freeing up huge amounts of wasted space storing tons of unused metal and plastic.

I do see that happening but absolutely not in 15 years. No way in hell. There isn't even 1 fully autonomous car on the road yet. I like the vision towards the future and technology moves fast but not that fast. In 15 years we may just be at the very beginning of autonomous taxi/car share services like uber and lift, but theres still no guarantee that that will ever even be fully feasible yet.

Everything after your second comma.

Actually my roommate works for a company that is developing multi device sharing for gps/nav systems. He says the technology for automated cars already exists but has not been released yet do to minor imperfections. Essentially it won't become a feature for consumers until they get it perfect.

Actually my roommate works for a company that is developing multi device sharing for gps/nav systems. He says the technology for automated cars already exists but has not been released yet do to minor imperfections. Essentially it won't become a feature for consumers until they get it perfect.

Exactly. Within 15 years is a layup, inside of central cities.

Exactly. Within 15 years is a layup, inside of central cities.

So they’re just going to put public parking out of business in favor of autonomous vehicles? Everyone who paid $8M + for their unit plus parking at MT sorry no private cars in the city center - all the executives P.O. square garage seaport etc sorry guys no cars lol...not happening.

Cities around the world double triple Boston’s density with cars...it will just get more expensive to do so end of story. That being said this development makes it very easy to go car free, train station, grocery across the street. But how do you go golfing ? Go to the Cape? Ski?

So they’re just going to put public parking out of business in favor of autonomous vehicles? Everyone who paid $8M + for their unit plus parking at MT sorry no private cars in the city center - all the executives P.O. square garage seaport etc sorry guys no cars lol...not happening.

Cities around the world double triple Boston’s density with cars...it will just get more expensive to do so end of story. That being said this development makes it very easy to go car free, train station, grocery across the street. But how do you go golfing ? Go to the Cape? Ski?

Owning a private care will get more and more expensive in the urban center, but I agree it is not going away in America (It might in some other countries!).

Autonomous on-demand in the city center as a cost effective alternative.

Zipcar or equivalent to go skiing, to the Cape, or golfing....

I mean, that is really just "Autonomous" Uber plus Zipcar, which is the combo I use today! (regular Uber).

1) One word answer to your initial question - yes. The city doesn't exist solely for the interests of the public parking business. Anyway, the ones underground and inside buildings will do fine garaging the autonomous taxis, etc.

Initially it may be a combination of banning private cars for drivers from the suburbs plus punitive taxes on central city resident autos, eventually growing into full ban on private cars for central city residents.

2) Your last question - - easy - - dial up an autonomous taxi from Amazon/Uber/Lyft/GM, etc. You are mistaking being personal ownership car-free to not having any access to a car. The central city residents will very easily be able to get to the Cape and their golf courses.

In Gretzky's words - - skate to where the puck will be.

He says the technology for automated cars already exists but has not been released yet do to minor imperfections.

Oh, honey .... I don't know whether to LOL this or just smh.

Minor imperfections are the whole fucking enchilada.

It will happen, one day. 15 years is EXTREMELY generous for the entire makeup of a major segment of American transportation to shift over to autonomous. I don't want to get rid of my car and I don't think many other people are ready to do that either just yet. Were talking probably a generational thing here. I don't mind using Ubers to go out and hit the bar, go to work, or get to class, but I definitely don't want to have to take one to go visit my parents 45 minutes away. I definitely don't want to ride share up to Maine over the winter to go snowboarding either. Many people commute from outside of the city to work with commutes around this long and they're going to need somewhere to park. Also for people who work construction like my father who has a work truck this is unfeasible.

The younger kids may be more willing and used to this concept than we are, but its going to take a bit especially for suburban and rural areas. There is a certain privacy and freedom that comes with owning your own vehicle that not many people are willing to give up just yet. Hell my car is a 2006, and its barely over 100k miles, its going to take a while for everybody to get rid of their cars and agree to this ride sharing... again probably a generation.

Theres going to have to be an entire shift in the way people think about cars/transportation and that is not going to happen quickly by any means. Theres also going to always be a segment of people who will never want to do this. That would mean a ways down the line legislation would have to control when and where people are allowed to drive their own vehicles and it could get very tricky trying to figure this whole thing out. Its basically inevitable...just when is the question. My money is on no time soon. As far as replacing uber/lift/taxis that is already in progress and I see that coming within 15 years, but how much of a dent that would leave on parking spots in the city, I just see it freeing up more spots for people who drive their own cars.

It will happen, one day. 15 years is EXTREMELY generous for the entire makeup of a major segment of American transportation to shift over to autonomous. I don't want to get rid of my car and I don't think many other people are ready to do that either just yet. Were talking probably a generational thing here. I don't mind using Ubers to go out and hit the bar, go to work, or get to class, but I definitely don't want to have to take one to go visit my parents 45 minutes away. I definitely don't want to ride share up to Maine over the winter to go snowboarding either. Many people commute from outside of the city to work with commutes around this long and they're going to need somewhere to park. Also for people who work construction like my father who has a work truck this is unfeasible.

The younger kids may be more willing and used to this concept than we are, but its going to take a bit especially for suburban and rural areas. There is a certain privacy and freedom that comes with owning your own vehicle that not many people are willing to give up just yet. Hell my car is a 2006, and its barely over 100k miles, its going to take a while for everybody to get rid of their cars and agree to this ride sharing... again probably a generation.

Theres going to have to be an entire shift in the way people think about cars/transportation and that is not going to happen quickly by any means. Theres also going to always be a segment of people who will never want to do this. That would mean a ways down the line legislation would have to control when and where people are allowed to drive their own vehicles and it could get very tricky trying to figure this whole thing out. Its basically inevitable...just when is the question. My money is on no time soon. As far as replacing uber/lift/taxis that is already in progress and I see that coming within 15 years, but how much of a dent that would leave on parking spots in the city, I just see it freeing up more spots for people who drive their own cars.

Nice post, and agreed. Certain people do not have much of a need for cars. For those, please by all means, get rid of yours if you haven't already. Just don't around imposing what people living in the city should or should not be able to own or how they should or shouldn't commute to where they please. Again, if it works for you and your circumstances, go ride that bike, take that bus, rent that Zipcar, walk, or order that Uber/Lyft/taxi. It's all good.

Some posts here though, are borderline nonsensical. For example (and I paraphrase): "Why don't you simply move closer to where you work to avoid a commute that requires a car?" I'm tempted to believe that this doesn't even really need a response, but here are some reasons I thought of off the top of my head anyway:
1) Some people change jobs more often then they can move. Sometimes, that new job or location isn't really their first choice, but they need to take it anyway.
2) They're doing a solid for their significant other so they have a shorter commute.
3) They have roots down where they live and don't want to move.
4) They actually like their current home and don't want to give it up
5) School systems
6) Not everyone can keep their primary home (which they love) and rent/buy another place closer to work to use during the work week. So, you know, that's why they commute..
7) $$$, in general
8) Depending on your profession, you may need to go where the jobs are, and maybe that's not down the street from your home, and maybe down the street from work isn't all that desirable to live.

Anyways, I could go on, but I think the point is obvious.

Back