Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

I did it for years too. Did you have kids with you? That makes it easier to want your own car. Putting in car seats in different cars all the time was not going to happen. It's all choice. Some make it work, some don't. Depends on individual circumstances.

I did it for years too. Did you have kids with you? That makes it easier to want your own car. Putting in car seats in different cars all the time was not going to happen. It's all choice. Some make it work, some don't. Depends on individual circumstances.

Yeah. Uber and Zipcar don't work near as well if you have small kids. And if you have small kids, you're going to need to drive at least sometimes.

These are luxury units. They prob have multiple houses, they go skiing, golfing, go to the beach, they will have cars...not necessarily for work but everything else.

One thing I don't think has been talked about enough with this building is the mechanical screen. We see way too many times a promising building topped off with disappointment. Developers cheap out on the screen and so you end up with something that clashes, something where the colors don't match or the materials are different. All too often it's an afterthought, not even a cohesive part of the design, as if they were surprised at the end to discover they had to put all this crap on the roof and now what are we going to do about it. 22 Liberty is a good example. Looks like they just found some scrap lying around at different work site and threw it up there.

On Lovejoy I love how it's transparent, how the glass just continues on up uninterrupted. I love how you can see the boxes and ducts through the glass. These are a part of the building, and the architect acknowledged that and didn't try to hide it. Just like the glass a couple floors down may reveal furniture and people, here it reveals the mechanicals. The glass ties it all together perfectly, integrating it instead of concealing it, making it feel like an important part of the structure and not something shameful that we're supposed to pretend doesn't exist. It's simple and cohesive and kind of brilliant.

nice observation, i would not have appreciated that without your noticing.

Some new detail / interior shots, via Boston.com article:

Link: https://realestate.boston.com/buyin...peek-inside-the-lovejoy-wharf-condo-building/

LoveJoy-Terrace-1024x576$medium.jpg

LoveJoy-Unit-View-1024x576$medium.jpg

LoveJoy-Lobby--1024x576$medium.jpg

Lovejoy-Party-Room-1024x576$medium.jpg

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead with a crappy cell phone picture. What I really want to discuss is the boardwalk itself by the water. That thing is FLIMSY! It actually feels like a lot of the boards aren't even nailed down. I was worried the whole thing was going to collapse into the bay. Has anybody else walked on the boardwalk and noticed this? It honestly feels very cheap and unsafe.

Photo1757 by David Z, on Flickr

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead with a crappy cell phone picture. What I really want to discuss is the boardwalk itself by the water. That thing is FLIMSY! It actually feels like a lot of the boards aren't even nailed down. I was worried the whole thing was going to collapse into the bay. Has anybody else walked on the boardwalk and noticed this? It honestly feels very cheap and unsafe.

Yep. Whenever I ride my bike over it, all the boards rattle...it has always been like this unfortunately. It seems to be a short matter of time before a plank dislodges.

There's a huge difference between planks that have a little bit of give and a boardwalk that is in danger of collapsing. I've always felt that the boardwalk is solidly constructed with "springy" planks.

That is scary to hear. Can you report it to the DOB or... who would you report that to?

Not to change the subject from springy planks, but how about that lit crown in DZH's photo. That looks pretty slick IMO.

It also is quite bright from this angle (Hub on Causeway webcam)

YImULqd.jpg

There's a huge difference between planks that have a little bit of give and a boardwalk that is in danger of collapsing. I've always felt that the boardwalk is solidly constructed with "springy" planks.

they are so loose (and have been since install) that my first impression was that it was done on purpose.
could they be concerned about a high tide pushing water up from below? the loose planks would allow the water to come through instead of pushing the planks off.
I really have no idea, but its hard to believe it would be that poorly constructed (and accepted by Related). I never had the feeling it was unsafe or going to collapse though. its just the boards, and not the structure, that is moving.

Last edited:
The lighting looks great, especially the accent lighting on the side. A real positive of this cycle has been that almost all of the new buildings have crown lighting, so our skyline is getting more interesting at night. Why Millennium does not I have no idea and will forever think that the ball was dropped there. Why would you not light up the tallest tower built in downtown in years, blows my mind. Its almost criminal to not light that, we are being robbed of this.

Another great aspect of this building is how the bunker hill monument lines up with the hole in the building. Nice lil touch there.

30749689963_79ed472bd4_c.jpg

This looks to be manufactured wood or faux wood plastic. It looks to be an imprevious surface so rain runs off. Spongy feeling could result from it being set on some sort of cushion/pad. The whole boardwalk assembly might be fiberglass.

^^^^ The bridge turned out fine. The thin brick sidewalk laid on top of the fiberglass cracked extensively within a year's time. (The photos look to be gone from the site.)

BU6_29th%20St%20Finished_web.jpg

The white-seamed brick is what has failed. The bridge itself, for reasons I am not going to disclose, is built like the proverbial brick shithouse. The running joke was it will support an Abrams tank and its transporter (which is not the reason it was built this way).

^ where is that bridge??

Apparently the answer is 'Washington DC'. Didnt realize you were referencing that phot from the article you linked.

Yeah the decking seem firmly attached, just very flexible. FWIW it does make a cool quasi-musical sound if you ride a bike across it really fast - like dragging a hammer across a (an?) xylophone

Apparently the answer is 'Washington DC'. Didnt realize you were referencing that phot from the article you linked.
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the bridge in the Google streetview.

The bridge with the fiberglass deck is on 29th St in Washington. next to a Four Seasons hotel. I believe the Federal government helped defray some of the cost with a grant because it is a test of a fiberglass deck.

Back