Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

What I really like about this site is that you have BOTH -- no need to choose. You have the nicely redone old, and the nicely complementary new, right next to each other.

Construction elevator is getting taken down. We're in the home stretch.

Crews have been installing pre-cast panels where the construction elevator was since yesterday. They were about three floors up this morning.

Although its not a plateau-breaker, peak, crown, whatever...this is one of the best developments in modern times in my opinion. Every single time I see it im impressed. Improving upon what was there, great ground level, interactive waterfront, public space, boston pallette, great materials, great context, this thing fits the bill. This is the model for how to build in Boston in the current development cycle.

Although its not a plateau-breaker, peak, crown, whatever...this is one of the best developments in modern times in my opinion. Every single time I see it im impressed. Improving upon what was there, great ground level, interactive waterfront, public space, boston pallette, great materials, great context, this thing fits the bill. This is the model for how to build in Boston in the current development cycle.

Stick -- agree completely and further it's of the appropriate scale for the edge of the North End

DHZ -- very impressive photography :) of a most impressive development :D

This project has turned out to be significantly better in reality than it looked in the renders :eek:

There is true "traditional attention to detail" that should make this a model for this kind of development where there is a mix of new and "well-done" existing construction

This building works both at a distance with its overall Exuberance [e.g. the Converse Sign "floating above the old building roof"] and also close up with its attention to human-scale details. It's both modern and yet blends well with the historic adjacent Submarine Signals Building

Excuse me if this has already been addressed (I scanned through the thread briefly and couldn't find a definitive answer), but does anyone know if there will be any colored accent lighting in coordination with what's been seen with the submarine building, TD garden, and Zakim bridge? I've seen some renders with the development having white lights around it, but none that suggest it'll throw some color in there too.

31413895795_79331d78c6_b.jpg

30592713654_17c6919cc0_b.jpg

Love that brick work. It's simple things like this that really take a boring building and makes it worth a damn.

Has anyone seen pricing for these?

Love that brick work. It's simple things like this that really take a boring building and makes it worth a damn.

Indeed.

The brickwork saves this building from the cartoonish stepped-glass gesture on the north-facing facade, a design element that should have been consigned to the dustbin in 1989.

Last edited:
Indeed.

The brickwork saves this building from the cartoonish stepped-glass gesture on the north-facing facade, a design element that should have been consigned to the dustbin in 1989.

Hmmmm, frankly, I like how the glass wall on the residential portion of the complex complements the glass addition on the top of the Converse side. It's a beautiful addition to Boston, from the new surrounding grounds on up! A massive improvement from just a few years ago. Really is one of the best new developments in the city. And agreed, the lighting is awesome!

I walked around this one yesterday and there's a couple things that surprised me (that you can also see in many pictures above):
1) A mechanical penthouse is visible through the glass on the top floor of the tower; why isn't this all on the roof?
2) The ground floor finishes are high quality and look even better in person
3) The building was lit up (from within) at night; it seemed like every single light was on inside

Back