Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

10 years ago, this site was a wreak. Now, it's a perfect joining of old and new, in every respect. Bravo to the developers!

It sure was. The change is unbelievable. From January 2013:

SLMiGJ0.jpg

RXdPg6P.jpg

Nice render - but the beverly st extension looks nothing remotely like that - think the state police boat ramp would be somewhere in the foreground

yea it's a pretty amazing turnaround. i grew up down the street and literally never stepped foot in all my life in that area, but now it's as easy and pleasant as pie

Agreed on the transformation btw - this is stunning, project of the decade material

SLMiGJ0.jpg

If you can't see the beauty in that, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh hell yes I definitely think what was there before was amazing in its way. But I'm also glad that its been redone, and especially in a way that preserves the dignity of the sub signal building. In many cities (including ours) in many eras (including ours) this would have a hig probability of getting scraped

131 Beverly was a fine-looking building but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it could not realistically be converted to residential. The walls were too thick, not enough windows, too many columns, etc.

Yeah, it would have been either unprofitable or not profitable enough to restore 131 Beverly and the new building is perfectly ok. I just wish people were a little bit sadder about what we lost. That's just me though.

Oh, I was sad to see it go, but I had to accept it couldn't be saved. Well, unless they'd done something like the upper floors of Macy's. But that would have meant losing the site for residential, so either way there was some loss.

Honest question. Which building do you like better? This or the renovated Submarine Signal Building?

Honest question. Which building do you like better? This or the renovated Submarine Signal Building?

The new building is extremely well done. However in most cases, and this is no exception, the original is always better.

That said I think they did the glass better on the new one. (comparing the corner vs the Converse glass top)

Back