Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

You mean this one?
3567018714_55693bdedc.jpg

It's called the Hoffman Building, apparently used to be a torpedo factory.

That building was slated for a 14 story addition and turn into condo's there's a thread on here somewhere

Yeah but that proposal was denied by the NIMBYs.

Thumbs up for Vivien Li (on the BCC) and TBHA for their diligence at Atlantic Wharf.

Waterfront civic spaces including BSA's 2nd floor occupancy are a testament to her work. And she's the only one around putting the screws to MassDOT for fulfillment of past commitments.

I'm well aware this view is unpopular here. I'm not provoking an argument -- just commenting on the update in the North End newsletter above.

Paul -- right on target -- here's a new story in the BBJ

Waterfront developer switching from condos to office
Boston Business Journal by Thomas Grillo, Real Estate Editor
Date: Monday, June 18, 2012, 12:25pm EDT

The developer of Lovejoy Wharf, a $200 million luxury condominium project on Boston Harbor, is seeking approval to switch a portion of the development to office space.
Courtesy of the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The developer of a controversial condominium project on Boston’s waterfront is seeking the city’s permission to recast the development into commercial office space, according to sources.

Lexington, Mass.-based Ajax Management Partners first won approval for Lovejoy Wharf, a $200 million luxury condominium project with 240 units on North Washington Street along the Boston Harbor, next to the TD Garden , in 2008. But a lawsuit by 21 residents of Strada234, an upscale development next door, stalled the project. While the lawsuit was settled for an undisclosed amount last year, financing for condos is difficult and the developer is hoping to turn at least some of the project into office space.

0612_lovejoy2.jpg

I'd like to know why the developer was allowed to fence off part of the recently built walkway behind his building, which leads to a footbridge under the Charlestown Bridge. I believe that was a state DCR project built as a Big Dig mitigation!

Anyone able to pull up the BRA PDF? It appears they're knocking down the buildings closer to the Garden to build a modern building next to the Hoffman building. Wonder how they're going to split it into office and residential.

I'm happy seeing the NIMBYs get their way on this one. The old wharf architecture is far richer than the Innovation District Redux architecture that they want to replace the far-eastern portion of the complex with.

So, did the Strada residents retain their precious views???

I hope this project can reinstate ferry service. IMO the route that would probably see the most traffic is maybe Lovejoy to WTC.

Doesn't look like they are knocking down the Hoffman building. Are they going to renovate it? At its current state, it looks like that structure will turn to dust within the next decade.

I'm happy seeing the NIMBYs get their way on this one. The old wharf architecture is far richer than the Innovation District Redux architecture that they want to replace the far-eastern portion of the complex with.

What do you mean Itchy? I thought the development was mostly the same they were just switching the use to office.

I could be wrong, but the render makes it look like the far-western portion of the building (I mistakenly said "eastern" before ... what I mean is the portion closest to the Garden, as AdamBC said) gets torn down to make room for the new wing.

Here's the quickest and dirtiest image I could find. Compare it to the render. Am happy to be proven wrong on this one.

I could be wrong, but the render makes it look like the far-western portion of the building (I mistakenly said "eastern" before ... what I mean is the portion closest to the Garden, as AdamBC said) gets torn down to make room for the new wing.

Here's the quickest and dirtiest image I could find. Compare it to the render. Am happy to be proven wrong on this one.

Itch -- i think the building which boardered on Beverly Street is going to be razed to the foundation and a new structure built in its footprint

The historic structure is the Hoffman Building which once housed the Submarine Signal Company -- later acquired by Raytheon Co. If you go over to the Hofman Building on the it still says it over the doors in brickwork. Sub Signal was the place where sonar -- invented by Boston multi-inventor Reginald Fesenden was perfected and commercialized -- mostly for the Navy.

yhst-86587441912981_2213_58890400

amplifier-tubes-sm.jpg

Prof. Fessenden with his original underwater sound instrument

lowering_600.jpg

Reginald Fessenden and his electric oscillator, the first acoustic device to receive echoes from the bottom as well as from an obstruction in the water. The oscillator was designed as an underwater signalling, communication, and obstruction avoidance device. In "Submarine Signaling," Scientific American Supplement, No. 2071, pp. 168-170, Sept. 11, 1915. Image courtesy of NOAA Photo Library.

That building will definitely qualify for historic preservation at some level -- as in some ways Fessenden's work with underwater acoustics was as fundamentally significant as Bells work with the telephone a generation plus before

Last edited:

liKing das OOOBoaT sTuffLings!!! BOSTON NO 1 PLACES!!!!

Looks like everything after the roofline drop is toast - any BRA PDF yet?

pCBg0.jpg

Back