Lyra (née The Huntington) | 252/258/264 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

mEFicJVh.png

Am I confused or did they totally misplace (to the right of huntington ave) the Hancock tower in this render?

It actually looks like the Millenium. How odd.

Am I confused or did they totally misplace (to the right of huntington ave) the Hancock tower in this render?

It actually looks like the Millenium. How odd.

I shall correct myself. I am utterly wrong. The Hancock tower is where it belongs, to the right of Huntington Ave. and I have had Boston's geography defeat me yet again.

I love this tower, I think it's in a great location and the design is above par (for Boston at least). I wish there was a way though to save the facade of the building just to the left of the Huntington Theatre Company. I am not up to speed on this development - has this been discussed?

252-264 Huntington Avenue Impact Advisory Group Meeting

Jul 12, 2017 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Contact; Tim Czerwienski Tim.Czerwienski@Boston.gov

Description: QMG Huntington, LLC is proposing a redevelopment including up to 426 dwelling units, up to 7,500 square feet of retail space, and 14,000 square feet of cultural space in a 32-story tower adjacent to the Huntington Theatre Company site.

Please note that the purpose of this meeting is different than that of a traditional community meeting. As part of the development review process, Impact Advisory Group (IAG) members work closely with BPDA staff to identify the impacts of a project and recommend appropriate community benefits to offset those impacts. IAG meetings prioritize discussion between the project proponent (i.e. the developer) and IAG members.

Looking at 6-2 of the report regarding the history of the Old France Building, I thought "wow, this would be much less sloppy work if only they read Rev. Paco's post at http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=279666&postcount=24"

^^Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting note that their administrative offices are across the street (253-289 Huntington Ave) and lease due to expire in 2019. With a lease ending around then, I'm antsy to learn if that property owner has redevelopment plans of their own in the works... that 2-story commercial block is so ripe for 2 to 3 high rises it's not even funny. Imagine if there was a pocket park/square tucked just to the west of Symphony Hall where their event room currently is attached. Bury a parking garage under the block (***and better yet, make a Symphony Station underground link), connect some administrative offices/event space for Symphony Hall where their St. Stephens St. parking lot is now, and maximize the rest of the development down Huntington to Gainsborough St.

EDIT: Something like this...

HuntingtonRedevelopment2 by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

Last edited:
It would be a disgrace to lose the storefronts between Symphony and Gainsborough. Any development there (and there should be development there) should maintain the current facade and include a reasonable setback.

Sorry, but this would be a horrible idea. The density currently is great. I went to NEU and lived right in this area. It is always bustling. to lose that feeling would be a shame.

Like you (and I think Downburst), I also went to NU and lived in this area for years. I agree--it is always bustling. But, like the Midtown Hotel a block away, this corridor calls for something far denser than the 2 stories of use that's currently there.

To Downburst's point, I think a redevelopment of this commercial block could definitely preserve the existing retail facade and still accommodate high rise development set back from the street. It will complement the other dense development that's popped up along Huntington (YMCA residence hall, NEC, new Huntington across the street).

Like you (and I think Downburst), I also went to NU and lived in this area for years. I agree--it is always bustling. But, like the Midtown Hotel a block away, this corridor calls for something far denser than the 2 stories of use that's currently there.

To Downburst's point, I think a redevelopment of this commercial block could definitely preserve the existing retail facade and still accommodate high rise development set back from the street. It will complement the other dense development that's popped up along Huntington (YMCA residence hall, NEC, new Huntington across the street).

Based on this explanation, I think the problem is the way you've drawn your sketch. You used dark lines for what I presume are tower volumes rising from a podium of the existing streetwall, but the podium itself is missing a dark outline making it read as if it is open space, set back from the street with a pool in front.

Graphics matter.

Based on this explanation, I think the problem is the way you've drawn your sketch. You used dark lines for what I presume are tower volumes rising from a podium of the existing streetwall, but the podium itself is missing a dark outline making it read as if it is open space, set back from the street with a pool in front.

Graphics matter.

LOL, it was the equivalent of a digital back-of-napkin sketch on my work computer using Paint during a late lunch yesterday... sue me! Compared to you, I know I have the graphic design sensibility of a 7-year-old. But when it comes to maximizing uses of the spaces neighborhood-wide as a whole, I'm your guy. ;)

It would be a disgrace to lose the storefronts between Symphony and Gainsborough. Any development there (and there should be development there) should maintain the current facade and include a reasonable setback.

Huntington needs retail,

but a theater w/ a 400-unit residential tower is getting a lot of use from this space.

Symphony Hall has nearly perfect acoustics due to careful sound isolation. I doubt they'll want any digging next door or a major change in the abutting building. Nor shoudl they.

I'm all four it.

NeU, School of Business, Bachelor's of Science, Class of '89

Back