Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

LEGO will set up its new headquarters on Boylston Street
The toymaker is leasing 100,000 square feet in a highly visible building under construction atop the Massachusetts Turnpike
By Catherine Carlock Globe Staff,Updated August 21, 2023, 37 minutes ago

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08...-up-its-new-hq-boylston-street/#bgmp-comments

1692636784004.png

“What we were looking for in terms of workforce, in terms of location, in terms of amenities, was completely different from where we are today, nearly 50 years later,” Kodak said.

The new office’s location near both downtown Boston and Cambridge, access to public transportation, and sustainable building elements were draws. Being just a mile down Mass. Ave. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was also a plus. The toymaker has partnered with MIT for nearly 40 years, sponsoring the MIT Media Lab and collaborating on robotics and automation, and the LEGO Foundation in 2017 endowed a graduate student fellowship program at the Media Lab. Kodak is hopeful a Boston headquarters will create more opportunities for partnerships.

“Being in proximity can make a big difference in collaboration,” Kodak said. “You don’t know who you might bump into when you move into a new neighborhood.”

From the Globe. Signage is a negotiation between the tenant and owner (and whatever permitting requirements there are). Guessing CarGurus had that as part of their lease agreement; who knows if Lego would pay for this. I agree it's the better moniker for the building!

" CarGurus has already installed its red-and-blue sign on its exterior, which is visible on both the Back Bay skyline and to drivers entering central Boston on the Turnpike below. While there are no plans yet for a colorful LEGO logo on the building’s front, LEGO and Samuels intend to keep the matter open for discussion. Kodak said signage is “an interesting opportunity.” "

From the Globe. Signage is a negotiation between the tenant and owner (and whatever permitting requirements there are). Guessing CarGurus had that as part of their lease agreement; who knows if Lego would pay for this. I agree it's the better moniker for the building!

" CarGurus has already installed its red-and-blue sign on its exterior, which is visible on both the Back Bay skyline and to drivers entering central Boston on the Turnpike below. While there are no plans yet for a colorful LEGO logo on the building’s front, LEGO and Samuels intend to keep the matter open for discussion. Kodak said signage is “an interesting opportunity.” "

I can't imagine that happening as long as CarGurus is in the building. I think a ground level sign is more likely, and maybe wait and see what happens in a few decades.

Maybe if the numbers work and CarGurus is amenable, Samuels can let CarGurus out of their signage agreement in favor of one with Lego. CarGurus may be interested in saving some cash.

Maybe if the numbers work and CarGurus is amenable, Samuels can let CarGurus out of their signage agreement in favor of one with Lego. CarGurus may be interested in saving some cash.

But then why would they have bought the sign in the first place?

When I first saw the rendering when the project was approved, my reaction was ho-hum, big woof. But that has changed significantly. I really like the layout, the design, the courtyard, the concourse, with a smattering of plants and vegetation. I think it's going to be very inviting for the pedestrian traffic with shops and open-seating cafés.

Last edited:
That means that if Lego is moving in there, then the MBTA will have to get on the ball & stop playing games & get Hynes Station going with its modernization program!!!! It will have to be made ADA compliant!! I never got off the trolley there because there are way too many damn stairs to climb getting out of there to the street!! And there is only one escalator that's on the outbound platform ONLY. :mad:

Last edited:
That means that if Lego is moving there, then the MBTA will have to get on the ball & stop playing games & get Hynes Station going with its modernization program!!!! It will have to be made ADA compliant!! I never got of the trolley there because there are way too many damn stairs to climb getting out of there to the street!! And there is only one escalator on the outbound platform. :mad:
Cant wait to get on at the renamed Cargurus/LEGO T stop....Cargurus under 😍

Back