Maine Public Broadcasting Bldg. | 25 Commercial St. | Portland

Cosakita18

Reaction score
I couldn't tell if this project had its own thread or not, but Maine Public is moving forward with its plans to redevelop and expand the Galt Block building and add a new 5-story office/ studio / event space at 25 Commercial St.

Historic Preservation Board review application was made on 9/29

No renderings yet, but we'll likely know more soon:
HPBR-002232-2022 (portlandmaine.gov)

It has been lightly discussed in the New Construction thread. They were originally going to flip the Galt Block and build their new facility in the parking lot; I wonder if that's still the plan. Also, when AE sold the building, a company called Certify signed a lease to move into it; I wonder what happened to that, if it fell through when the original purchaser died, or what.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 10.00.33 AM.png

Thanks to Max, I added these early renderings from the New Construction thread.

Maine Public Broadcasting Building | 25 Commercial St | Portland according to the Historic Planning Board application?

I thought they changed names with the rebrand, but maybe "Maine Public" is just an assumed name and the legal entity is still Maine Public Broadcasting?

From the application, I can't tell if the address is 25 or 35.

1664884916729.png

Adding to the confusion, the Galt Block is technically 29 Commercial:
I think it covers quite a few numbers; Auto Europe used 39 Commercial when they were there (and the left front storefront could probably get away with 2 Franklin).

I really like how it transitions from one building height/angle to the next. This should make the HPB happy - although I'm sure they'll have something to say about it.

(oh no, not those window awnings on the top floor)

They had their first workshop with the HPB last night. The board seemed generally receptive (although I wasn't listening that closely). The developers played this video at the start of their presentation: https://www.mainepublic.org/a-new-home-for-maine-public-virtual-tour

Looks like they're going to build a really state-of-the-art facility.

Last edited:
As someone who has devoted his entire career to working in media, and on a national level, this is great. I love the design--exterior and interior. The planning board needs to sail this one through. The community benefits to PBS programming are immense, and in this location, enhanced with neighbors like Roux and the Univ. of Maine Graduate and Professional Center. If they need more money, I'll contribute (I think I just answered that--it's PBS).

Very impressed with the video. MP hit a home run on this. I wish all developers would have a presentation like this. What is going to happen with the Galt Building next door?

Back