Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

For a mostly leafy, single-family suburb, where Melrose does urbanity, it does it quite well.

Thats a classy looking building! Imagine if the seaport was filled with 6 story variants of this

So aside from the Moynihan Plaza redevelopment, I noticed a fair amount of retail changes for what's usually a pretty constant area. Whittemore Hardware has given up one of its 3 storefronts for an unknown new tenant. Further down Main St, Coffee Tea & Me and Mike's Barber Shop have been completed gutted. Not sure if there will still be two businesses there or if it will be combined.

I've heard some meh reviews about Giacomo's (loud, awkward layout, food nothing special). Has anyone tried all three locations?

**SIGH**

Developer in Malden playing ball with minor league team

Boston Globe said:
A plan to purchase a minor league team for a baseball stadium project in Malden may be rounding third after the developer announced a prospective deal with a team owner.

After receiving appraisals of the three adjacent properties, Bok said the owners received offers in February. Bok declined to specify the offers, but said they include full market value with no reduction for environmental cleanup, plus a premium.

Bok said he hopes to meet with property owners over the next month.

The project hinges on a deal with these owners, City Councilor Paul Condon said in an interview, because the council has signaled an unwillingness to take the property by eminent domain.

“If they cannot come to an agreement, I imagine the project won’t move forward,” Condon said.

Malden Field of Dreams has until June 15 to reach an agreement with the owners of the three properties, Malden Mayor Gary Christenson said. If a deal is not reached by then, National Grid will likely resume operations at its site.

Meh Single A is basically college baseball. I would love a Double or Triple-A team in a T accessible area of Boston. If you just enjoy watching baseball then going to Fenway is expensive as fuck.

^Ture but at this point it's better than nothing... wouldn't it leave open the possibility of future upgrade too?

Corey Street development has been approved and demolition of the existing structure has begun.
34452711715_4a182c5af2_z.jpg
[/url]Rendering-Burkhard-Corp by christopher cunniffe, on Flickr[/IMG]
34322300691_08ce719c45_h.jpg
[/url]unnamed-1 by christopher cunniffe, on Flickr[/IMG]
34452631375_d3aebcc570_h.jpg
[/url]unnamed by christopher cunniffe, on Flickr[/IMG]
Theres a great opportunity for the developer to redesign this path with some benches and streetlights. I know dozens of people who use it on a daily basis and theres probably hundreds who walk it daily. Its currently an eyesore (unpaved, overgrown grass, graffiti) but with a little love, it could really add value to the surrounding area.
34452660215_e53f54af9a_h.jpg
[/url]unnamed-2 by christopher cunniffe, on Flickr[/IMG]

They are ruining these areas now. Too much development not enough space for traffic.
The surrounding areas of Boston are getting way too congested and suffocated by Cars.

TheRifleman, where would you suggest they build then?

TheRifleman, where would you suggest they build then?

Build skyscrapers with some height focused on the MBTA hardrails.
Its the only way to contain the growth without building better infrastructure without congesting these areas.

The surrounding areas of Boston are not even enjoyable anymore because of the amount of traffic to get there.
Cambridge, Arlington, Belmont, Everett, Malden, Woburn, Medford, Somerville.
The NorthShore is becoming a congested mess without an overall plan to help deal with the massive influx of people that want to live in the city.

They are building on every lot possible (knocking every tree down to build something on their land) Its very sad that these great communities at one time have become like this.

Build smarter

This development is about 100 feet from Wyoming t station plus steps from mbta buses 131, 132, 136/137, 106*. Im betting most people won't be driving into Boston for work rather they will take the T. People pay a hefty premium to live next to transit for a reason

I'm not saying don't build. It just seems the areas in the North Shore-
Cambridge, Arlington, Belmont, Everett, Malden, Woburn, Medford, Somerville, Wakefield, Lynnfield, Saugus, Lynn, Charlestown----Are so heavily congested now with traffic. Along with building on anytype of parcel that is buildable at this point.
It's sad--- I feel like Boston unique character from a small city with neighborhood community living to nothing more than a rich snooty cosmopolitan out of town city goers.

Boston character is gone.

Meh Single A is basically college baseball. I would love a Double or Triple-A team in a T accessible area of Boston. If you just enjoy watching baseball then going to Fenway is expensive as fuck.

You could take the commuter rail out to Lowell and watch the Spinners.

Or the PawSox.

I'd rather see a new home for the Revs in Malden then another baseball stadium.

It's sad--- I feel like Boston unique character from a small city with neighborhood community living to nothing more than a rich snooty cosmopolitan out of town city goers.

Boston character is gone.

^^all the housing projects need is better faux bricks and stonework trims, and the developers to bring the tree installers
behind them....and happy days are here again. it took me an hour to find the image (of this one), so i'll repost....
there are many more great examples!

Theres a great opportunity for the developer to redesign this path with some benches and streetlights. I know dozens of people who use it on a daily basis and theres probably hundreds who walk it daily. Its currently an eyesore (unpaved, overgrown grass, graffiti) but with a little love, it could really add value to the surrounding area.
34452660215_e53f54af9a_h.jpg
This is actually a culvert. It's a shame that it "prevents" building something nice on the corner of Wyoming and Berwick. A park and path would be nice, connecting to Foley Park and Downtown. I believe this is owned by the MWRA.

Malden city hall demolition

Housing and Economic Development Secretary Jay Ash gives remarks at celebration of demolition of Malden's existing Pleasant Street City Hall complex to make way for site redevelopment, 200 Pleasant St., Malden, 12:30 p.m.

Back