Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin Oriental

Never thought it looked bad. Never looked good, but never looked bad. It just needs something on the ground level. I get too hungry looking in at that restaurant. By the way, go inside to the bar for a drink sometime, because the interior design is very interesting-check out the bare cinder blocks they used along the entrance to the restaurant from the lobby.

There isn't anything wrong with it as it is. The problem is still the Prudential Center. The buildings can't block it off by themselves. They are a good first step in developing the streetwall.

agreed...this is the only angle where this building can possibly look good

kennedy said:
Never looked good, but never looked bad.

That's basically my feelings on this one too. Urbanistically it's fine, but aesthetically it leaves me wanting so much more. I guess I'll just have to squint and pretend its execution isn't so tactless.

Personally, I love this building. I wish we were seeing more of this kind of thing in Kendall Sq. or the Seaport instead of the precast and / or Alucobond junk with random bits of glass jutting out at extreme angles. Oh yes, and billowing facades, can't forget about those.

The Mandarin Oriental is a winner.

I realized today that when I'm exiting the Pru on Boylston I always cross the street because the other side seems more interesting. Maybe it has to do with the Apple Store and other businesses on that side. That stretch of sidewalk in front of the Mandarin still feels like unwelcoming dead space to me.

From www.lesvants.com

3-26-09_boston_4451-20%20copy.jpg

Hey look, SimCity4 R$$$!

joebos, it's probably because all the street level restaurants and retail in the Mandarin are too economically exclusive for most people. Other than Sel de Terre, there isn't much for people not wanting to spend less than a hundred dollars at a clip.

I realized today that when I'm exiting the Pru on Boylston I always cross the street because the other side seems more interesting.
Sunny side of the street, small-footprint buildings and shops?

The Hynes is getting restaurants at first-floor level (which unfortunately is not really street level, due to the Turnpike). Let's see what that does.

The Hynes is getting restaurants at first-floor level (which unfortunately is not really street level, due to the Turnpike). Let's see what that does.

Maybe "at street level" is a better description here. It will have commercial activity at both first-floor level (Dalton St corner closest to Fenway Park) and ground level (abutting the 800 Boylston plaza). Per the Hynes plan, the entrance at 900 Boylston is G, and up the escalator is 1.

The south side of Boylston from Mass Ave all the way up past 500 Boylston is a bleak stretch though.

The plaza is going to be built on, which may help "activate the streetscape" a little more than now. I think urbanistically, that side of Boylston is really becoming alive with the Mandarin, 888 Boylston, and the Hynes renovation; the only real problem are the tenants, and that will take a few years/decades before we get a retail mix that is ideal for one's desires (but may not be for another's, since everyone's urban retail wants are different).

Well, that didn't last long. They've torn up Ring Road, again, in two places. Road blocked off. No idea why.

ring_road.jpg

And, a two-fer: Two craptastic buildings - the added stories on the Courtyard Marriott on Exeter St and Trinity Place, behind it.

trinity_crap.jpg

Is this the 3rd time in 3 years ring road has been closed?

I never realized that was a Marriott. Looks like the Dakota Lite. Paging Jessica Simpson: your flat is ready.

I've stayed in that Marriott, surprisingly quaint. I never noticed the hat from the street level, otherwise it's quite an eye-pleaser.

I've stayed in that Marriott, surprisingly quaint. I never noticed the hat from the street level, otherwise it's quite an eye-pleaser.

I agree with kennedy. The addition to the Marriott is surprisingly well done, compared to the 70s and 80s bland that surround it. The vertical lines extend upward, and while not a perfect match, at a passing glance, it's cohesive enough to pass.

joebos, it's probably because all the street level restaurants and retail in the Mandarin are too economically exclusive for most people. Other than Sel de Terre, there isn't much for people not wanting to spend less than a hundred dollars at a clip.

Did the MO fill all of it's retail space? I knew Prada was suppose to go into the space, but it didn't.

Back