Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin Oriental

But there's only space for *maybe* three more stores. The salon and kitchen eat up over half of all possible storefront area. And this arcade is a single-loaded corridor (meaning there's shops on just one side of the hall), which the original configuration of the Pru showed does not work for retail. If some exclusive shops open up in what little space is left, there'll be no reason at all for most Pru shoppers to go down there. Maybe I missed something, but is that their intention?

Perhaps the stores are catering to Manderin guests who are walking into the mall instead of mall shoppers who syumble into the area.

And while the area is empty, so is the portion of the pru connecting the commercial buildings

Behold!

img4905kq4.jpg

img4906za3.jpg

Donald Trump would be proud.

img4907fg9.jpg

Did I see they just closed or will be closing the Copley Gucci? I guess this one is better.

They copley one was kept open during the holidays but has or will be closing soon with all stock being moved to this new one, which opened in November.

That service entrance to the left of the Gucci store really adds to the luxury shopping experience

That service entrance to the left of the Gucci store really adds to the luxury shopping experience

If whitewashed cinder block and exposed electrical conduits/ HVAC doesn't spell LUXURY, I don't know what does.

If whitewashed cinder block and exposed electrical conduits/ HVAC doesn't spell LUXURY, I don't know what does.

Pictures don't capture the 150 decibel, ultra high pitched BBZZZTT BBZZZTT BBZZZTT BBZZZTT every time a vehicle approaches the exit.

Ultra-mother-fucken'-high-class.

I hear it's all the rage in Europe.

Man, what is it with Mandarin Oriental hotel fires pre-opening?

China: Fire engulfs 40-story luxury hotel

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A massive fire engulfed a newly constructed, unoccupied luxury hotel in central Beijing on Monday night.
Fred Rice was in the middle of watching fireworks when he saw flames rise from the Mandarin Oriental.

The cause of the blaze at the 40-story Mandarin Oriental is not known, and there were no reports of injuries, according to CNN staff members who were at the scene. The fire began at about 9 p.m. (8 a.m. ET) and continued to burn an hour later.

CNN's Beijing bureau chief Jaime FlorCruz said he was on one side of the hotel, but, "It seems like virtually the whole building is burned."

Fire crews are on the scene and appeared to have control of the fire.

CNN correspondent Emily Chang said the fire reached up past the 30th floor, but did not appear to be spreading to any of the nearby buildings.

The hotel is next to a newly constructed tower for China Central Television (CCTV), but no one has moved into that building either.
It happened in the final hours of the Chinese lunar new year as people set off fireworks across the city.

The modern, angular building was a sign of Beijing's recent transformation and modernization. It had been scheduled to open late last year, but that was postponed until this year, although most of the building had been constructed. iReport.com: Are you there?

According to its Web site, the Mandarin Oriental-Beijing is the flagship property in China for the Mandarin Oriental hotel chain.

This is a classic example why building codes, continued maintenance, and quality control during construction are important. I wouldn't set foot in any skyscraper outside of Hong Kong while in China, or any of the glitzy garbage plunked down in the Magic Kingdoms of the Middle East for all those reasons.

It also illustrates how sculpture as architecture is a disaster in a disaster. When there is finally a big earthquake in Los Angeles I fear all architecture designed with grand focus in theory slaughter their occupants.

Wow, that is one enormous fire. Normally, when a fire does occur in a skyscraper, only a few floors would be on fire. This one looks like it engulfed pretty much over half the building.

Wow, that is one enormous fire. Normally, when a fire does occur in a skyscraper, only a few floors would be on fire. This one looks like it engulfed pretty much over half the building.

That was a Rem Koolhaas/OMA building.
Somewhat sculptural and interesting, though I would imagine completely dehumanizing if one were standing in the 'plaza' next to it.

http://www.oma.nl/

Anyway, if you look on their website and look up the hotel, there are some section drawings included. The whole middle portion was an atrium, and my guess is that the atrium functioned as a great big smokestack during the fire.

the OMA webpage said:
Structure, Services, Fire, Security: Arup, London/Hong Kong/Beijing

Our friends at Arup may have some explaining to do for the insurance adjusters.

capt.406f168196674b20844292b2913aad46.china_hotel_fire_xay107.jpg

Fireworks from the state television building on the right caused the fire.

How does that work out?

In America the developer would sue the the US government for a gazzilion dollars. Is that possible in China?

I knew it! It seemed to be the most logical answer (outside of Arson) all things considered.

Any indications as to whether fire supressions systems were installed (2 hour doors, sprinklers, etc.)

How does that work out?

In America the developer would sue the the US government for a gazzilion dollars. Is that possible in China?

Founding principal of PRC law:

"Justice comes from the barrel of a gun." Chairman Mao, "Little Red Book".

Question: Who holds the gun in PRC?

(Here's what will happen: the guy who lit the fireworks and the guy who did the "safety" inspection will be executed. The investors will be given some modest compensation and some future commercial concessions.)

Back