Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin Oriental

how is railroad.net's mbta board way more popular than this site?

There are a lot of people out there who love choo choo trains.

Ron,

Is there a Boston based forum that you are not a member of?
Every new board I find, your name pops up. :)

In fact, I find new Boston-based forums by googling your name

Sunday January 27 2008

zoomed in a bit more -- this is my favorite part of the building.

And the back.

I am not a fan of ridiculously high luxury but I love this building.

^^

Didn't notice the glass penthouse on top until now. A nice touch to the middling design.

Taken today, Feb 1 2008. It was raining really hard, but you can barely tell.

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Makes the Lennox look good.

Are those terrible Pru buildings ever going to be recladded ... or nuked?

It's like a little piece of Harare in the prime real estate heart of Boston.

Too bad Druker McCorrupt didn't choose to raze those buildings for his shopping mall...

Makes the Lennox look good.
But lose the Lord & Taylor, fresh re-clad and all. Build up the streetwall to the prevailing height.

Are those terrible Pru buildings ever going to be recladded ... or nuked?

It's like a little piece of Harare in the prime real estate heart of Boston.
They're growing harmless as they're masked by newer, better buildings. In time they'll seem like nice old relics of a bygone era. (In fact they're already almost there.) Give them marks for diversity and layering in their newly-emerging context.

^nice point ablarc... i like the positive spin on it

^^ I think this is brings up an issue with Boston. until all the small parking lots where buildings used to stand have been infilled, (ie the western side of bullfinch triangle) i'm not sure if we have any right to be tearing things down for aesthetic reasons. its like city hall plaza. if we reconnected Hanover St. to cambridge St, and infilled the desolation with cool modern buildings, (ie imagine a wedge building right where the fountain was), then brutalist desolation could become an eclectic collection of bostons past (sears crescent) present (concrete insanity) and future (glass and metal)

I've just yet to see a situation where knocking something down accomplished anything...

I'll clarify - parking lots AND parking structures. seeing the province st. garage go down was very exciting, and seeing the gov't center garage go down (hopefully!) will bring me the same warm fuzzies.

But lose the Lord & Taylor, fresh re-clad and all. Build up the streetwall to the prevailing height.

They're growing harmless as they're masked by newer, better buildings. In time they'll seem like nice old relics of a bygone era. (In fact they're already almost there.) Give them marks for diversity and layering in their newly-emerging context.

Post Office Square Garage?

(I agree with you about parking lots.)

I've just yet to see a situation where knocking something down accomplished anything...[/QUOTE]
The demolition of the Travelers Building was ok by me. But it would be cool if there was a tax break or expedited permitting for projects that fill in currently vacant space. Or even incentives for projects that demolish anything built in the last 40 years, like the Commonwealth Hotel, Government Center Garage, and so forth.

I understand the problem with parking structures and lots, but bottom line is its a necessity. There's days I dont want to take the red line into town but I have no choice, because theres no cheap parking.... I paid 28 bucks on MLK day because I missed the bus( thanks sat. schedule) and needed to get in there. that was at 500 boylston. what's wrong with parking lots? seriously.... I think most of you either never go in town so you just bitch about parking lots. they wouldnt exist for no reason... parking rates are INSANE. its one thing to destroy a parking structure and move it underground and build above it, but its another thing to completely eliminate parking. if thats what some people want to do, you live in never never land.

$375 a month for me to park under Lafayette Place!

I understand the problem with parking structures and lots, but bottom line is its a necessity. There's days I dont want to take the red line into town but I have no choice, because theres no cheap parking.... I paid 28 bucks on MLK day because I missed the bus( thanks sat. schedule) and needed to get in there. that was at 500 boylston. what's wrong with parking lots? seriously.... I think most of you either never go in town so you just bitch about parking lots. they wouldnt exist for no reason... parking rates are INSANE. its one thing to destroy a parking structure and move it underground and build above it, but its another thing to completely eliminate parking. if thats what some people want to do, you live in never never land.

Improved mass transit would eliminate parking as a necessity.

Back