Marine Wharf (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) | 660 Summer St | Seaport

I agree entirely! I worked on the new Johnson and Wales building and we ended up using rated curtain wall in A LOT of places. The stairs came out awesome!

If i remember correctly though, technically you only need curtain rated glass if it is within 15'-0" of another glazing system (curtain wall/window, etc.), which in all reality is always the case, otherwise you end up with a dreaded blank wall (ie Province street which is a party wall, i know).

I don't understand what this means. Can you re-explain for me why 45 Province had to have a blank wall and other buildings can have glass. Thanks.

If i remember correctly though, technically you only need curtain rated glass if it is within 15'-0" of another glazing system (curtain wall/window, etc.), which in all reality is always the case, otherwise you end up with a dreaded blank wall (ie Province street which is a party wall, i know).

Don't wanna start a huge tangent but the Province St blank wall is not a party wall. It fronts Chapman Place, and the blank portion is flanked on both sides by windows and balconies.

I don't understand what this means. Can you re-explain for me why 45 Province had to have a blank wall and other buildings can have glass. Thanks.

Don't wanna start a huge tangent but the Province St blank wall is not a party wall. It fronts Chapman Place, and the blank portion is flanked on both sides by windows and balconies.

My bad, I shouldn't have used that reference. I really just wanted to give the impression of a blank wall, and I know how the aB forum has expressed their love for that wall over time.

My original point was to say that you don't always need fire rated curtain wall, as long as there is a certain distance between the stair curtain wall and any other punched opening in the exterior wall.

Marine%20wharf%20updated%203%20on%203%2012.jpg

Groundbreaking was today, May 1.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...wood-suites/GxOF1aVYbNymXMc55Mg3dJ/story.html

love the setbacks. the materials, not so much.

could just be the low quality/low res render, though. here's hoping.

I absolutely love the massing, but the materials look uh...not so hot.

I miss the exposed stairs but I didn't like the dark grey on the other one.

Since it’s a Hampton Inn, I’m going to assume that, at best, it’ll have a similar building quality to that of The Element and Aloft hotels nearby on D Street. If it does, it wouldn’t be completely unfortunate.

Looks like a kid bought the Waterside Place lego kit and assembled it wrong.

For 2016-17, average development cost per room of extended stay upscale hotel was $191,000. Average cost per room for dual branded hotels was $209,000. This hotel has 400 rooms. $200,000 x 400 = $80 million. The project cost estimate is $176 million. This suggests, but does not guarantee, that the materials will not be cheap.

See:
https://www.hvs.com/article/8130-us-hotel-development-cost-survey-201617

For 2016-17, average development cost per room of extended stay upscale hotel was $191,000. Average cost per room for dual branded hotels was $209,000. This hotel has 400 rooms. $200,000 x 400 = $80 million. The project cost estimate is $176 million. This suggests, but does not guarantee, that the materials will not be cheap.

See:

I'm afraid that doesn't account for the high cost of union construction work here in Boston (The Envoy, Seaport ended up costing $500K per room), I think we're going to get something mediocre, hope I'm wrong!

See:

These costs assume you have a clean, flat site with no need to build structured parking or use union labor. Hard costs on this are $450K/room minimum, replacement cost is probably somewhere around $550K/room including land and everything else.

Just for reference, the Residence Inn on Congress Street is currently being marketed for $700K/room. The Envoy sold for like $830K/room in 2016.

Squint your eyes and it looks a bit like the Age 3-7 Lego-kit version of this.

That's some Godforsaken country.....

The architectural significance of JANET Air's northwest terminal in the Kingdom of Nye.

Back in the day, Tony Lavier might have put a hanger here, parked his F-104 inside,

and no one been the wiser.

/

Last edited:
I like it. Theyll have good views of the cruise ships

Back