Marine Wharf (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) | 660 Summer St | Seaport

Re: Harbinger Development - 411 rm hotel | Summer Street | Seaport

Wow, this is way at the far edge of the developing Seaport.

^agreed. But the design center (the old army base) is a bit of a place in itself (especially given the ongoing renovation), and if this can contribute to filling in Summer St. between the BCEC and the reserve channel, then maybe soon it won't feel so far away ...

I wonder if the roof decks on this will be open to the public, since it is a hotel and not a residential.

I imagine based on the render it will be used as event space similar to Cambridge Hyatt.

That has to be the nicest looking Hampton Inn / Homewood Suites I have ever seen.

Boston needs rooms at that price point.

Wow ... this thing has a triple personality disorder. Someone should give it some therapy before it gets stuck like this.

cca

Updated render from the Globe:

view%20from%20convention%20center.jpg

So bright. Such color.

This project is called "Marine Wharf", so any chance we can update this thread title to something like:

Is 3,500 square feet really enough retail space for a bistro, cafe, and a brewery?

Well the bistro/cafe are probably going to be part of the Hampton/Homewood lobby as that is a Hilton requirement these days. My guess is the 3,500 SF is all for the brewery.

I would caution though that I highly doubt this gets built in this cycle. The construction costs will be through the roof for a design like this and RevPAR in the Boston market is down from last year. Construction lending is drying up and this developer, while they have the track record, does not have the equity on hand to move forward without a substantial financial partner.

Also for those who are confused, RevPAR = Revenue per Available Room. It's basically just the hotel's occupancy X average daily rate.

^ OK, but Boston RevPAR is still astronomical per national averages. We had multiple days this summer / fall with zero room availability in a 50 mile radius!

Well the bistro/cafe are probably going to be part of the Hampton/Homewood lobby as that is a Hilton requirement these days. My guess is the 3,500 SF is all for the brewery.

I would caution though that I highly doubt this gets built in this cycle. The construction costs will be through the roof for a design like this and RevPAR in the Boston market is down from last year. Construction lending is drying up and this developer, while they have the track record, does not have the equity on hand to move forward without a substantial financial partner.

Also for those who are confused, RevPAR = Revenue per Available Room. It's basically just the hotel's occupancy X average daily rate.

I'll take the bet. This is getting built.

Don't get your hopes up too high, but a Geo/soil rig has been working the site this past week. I also noticed some new markings and warning flags around the site.

https://flic.kr/p/21ry1uR

https://flic.kr/p/21rxNLF

This project is called "Marine Wharf", so any chance we can update this thread title to something like:
Bump this rename request.

mods: please change to JB's suggestion.

Heres an angle I've never seen before that includes both proposals.

SEAPORT%20RENDERING%20-%20view%20from%20drydock%20_OP_COURTESY%20Perkins%2BWill%20for%20Harbinger%20Development_CP__20161118192126557_6627948_ver1.0_1280_720.JPG

This one has been posted but heres a bigger and better quality render.

SEAPORT%20RENDERING%20-%20view%20from%20summer%20aerial%20_OP_COURTESY%20Perkins%2BWill%20for%20Harbinger%20Development_CP__20161118192126639_6627950_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

There are few things more sexy on a building than an exposed stair. They are so expensive though because you need fire-rated glass curtain wall assemblies.

Anyone know when either of these towers are going up?

There are few things more sexy on a building than an exposed stair. They are so expensive though because you need fire-rated glass curtain wall assemblies.

I agree entirely! I worked on the new Johnson and Wales building and we ended up using rated curtain wall in A LOT of places. The stairs came out awesome!

If i remember correctly though, technically you only need curtain rated glass if it is within 15'-0" of another glazing system (curtain wall/window, etc.), which in all reality is always the case, otherwise you end up with a dreaded blank wall (ie Province street which is a party wall, i know).

Back