Marine Wharf (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) | 660 Summer St | Seaport

This had SO MUCH potential. but that cladding and design scheme for the panels is really hideous. I was driving around here a few weeks ago. This very industrial area needed some good design. The office/lab building behind the hotel is quite nice.

Wait!!!! What happened to this???????????

1597108926493.png

Wow! I recently commented on another thread that the original Commonwealth Hotel looked like a gigantic plastic toy building. This is just about as bad, and not likely to get a makeover soon.

I was just thinking that this is what you get if you gave a very uncreative kid some plain gray basic lego bricks.

I was just thinking that this is what you get if you gave a very uncreative kid some plain gray basic lego bricks.

Frankly, I'm disgusted with this building. It's an insult. The developer basically chose to dump this one out.

I agree. This is the kind of massive failure the BRA and BPDA should not be allowing. Also another bait and switch planning render.

Calm down, guys. It's a Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites, not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. I think given the occupant and compared to what was there before, this is great. For cruise passengers spending a night or two next to Black Falcon Terminal hoping to walk to the ships, this is a superior addition than what you'd see in most domestic ports (I'm looking at you, FL) and even Caribbean ports. The color scheme and facade pattern--though a bait-and-switch--are no different than literally dozens of institutional and hotel projects built throughout Boston.

Visit the Google Images for "Hampton Inn" and "Homewood Suites." Boston made out okay.

I go back and forth on this project.

Part of me hates it for all the reasons discussed above, but part of me almost appreciates the design leaning in to the flat / "render" look and embracing it. Like, if you're going to go flat, go flat. I'll take that over, for example, the first phase of Waterside Place, which was just as flat but tried to pretend it wasn't. Once this is all patched up and finished I can imagine it having something of a "glitch in the matrix" appearance, especially on the window-less frontage. You can see this in BeeLine's first shot below:

Standing by itself that wouldn't work, but mixed in with some (better) neighbors it could provide some cool juxtaposition.

I also appreciate that this project came to fruition. Putting aesthetics aside, this building's function is perfect for it's location; it was sorely needed.
Calm down, guys. It's a Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites, not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. I think given the occupant and compared to what was there before, this is great. For cruise passengers spending a night or two next to Black Falcon Terminal hoping to walk to the ships, this is a superior addition than what you'd see in most domestic ports (I'm looking at you, FL) and even Caribbean ports. The color scheme and facade pattern--though a bait-and-switch--are no different than literally dozens of institutional and hotel projects built throughout Boston.

Visit the Google Images for "Hampton Inn" and "Homewood Suites." Boston made out okay.

I don't think it's fair to compare this urban Homewood Suites to the architecture of their suburban properties. I've stayed at the Homewood Suites in DC's Navy Yard (basically their Seaport) a few times and it's typical 2010s corporate "fast-casual" architecture: bland and uninspired but not objectionable.

ould have been nice if they had something a little bolder on this East facing blank wall.
Maybe something like they did at the Austin Homewood Suites.
Homewood-Suites-Austin-1_FPC by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

The one at LAX has a similar treatment:
h-hotel-homewood-lax-oct12-17-6181-comp04.jpg

Love the LAX designer wall. Would love to see ours with this design, but with shades of purple and burgandy

And some people enjoy eating head cheese..........

j/k dshoost. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you here. The Boston's Seaport isn't Port Canaveral. This is supposed to be a world-class city. We shouldn't settle for dogshit.

Back