Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Re: Theater District Parcel P-7A

The night-time activity of that area depends entirely on what is playing at the Wilbur, Majestic, Shubert, and Wang theatres on any particular evening.

^ ... which ... tell the truth ... is generally not much!

The Hub of the Universe ... the Athens of America ... is now the Boonies.

THEATRE DISTRICT A FEW DECADES BACK

Richard Burton?s baritone had rung the rafters for three hours in Equus. The departing crowd rustled and murmured in excited appreciation. They had witnessed something significant, and they were elated.

When my girlfriend and I wriggled into our parked car on Tyler Street, my hand slipped naturally into her pants. A minute or two later, the policeman?s flashlight halted the proceedings, while emerging theatregoers continued to swirl. ?Hey kid,? he grinned, ?I understand ? but you?d better move along. And don?t let me catch you again!?

I was wondering about this parcel as I passed by it yesterday. I like the idea of a NYC style pod hotel, especially since it will be in close proximity to the new youth hostel across the street from the W Hotel. Sixteen stories is a decent height for the building as well. I hope the Abbott Group comes up with a design similar to their original proposal of a mixed use building in that location.

16-story pod-hotel here? I think I'll take it. Always wondered why the pod-hotel hasn't caught on here.

From the Herald:

Boston Herald said:
Micro-room with a view
Developer pitches hotel planfor slice of Theatre District
By Greg Turner | Saturday, January 14, 2012 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Real Estate

A Hub developer is sizing up a sliver of land in the Theatre District to build Boston’s first hotel featuring micro-rooms where guests can bunk down with just enough space for a bed.

Abbott Development has pitched a 16-story, 200-room hotel to the Boston Redevelopment Authority, dropping a long-delayed condo project but sticking with a flashy Times Square-like video billboard for the “gateway” corner of Tremont and Stuart streets.

The hotel’s moderately priced rooms will likely measure no more than 200 square feet — a significant downsizing from typical Boston lodging — and be modeled after small but stylish “pod” hotels that have popped up in New York, London and other big cities.

“It’s a successful business model in other cities and it does allow you to put more rooms ... on the site,” said Abbott principal James McAuliffe. “It makes it more financially viable.”

Abbott won city approval in 2006 to build housing over a restaurant, but the 14-story project stalled during the Great Recession. Last year the developer lined up an assisted-living facility, but the BRA deemed it “inappropriate” for the area, McAuliffe said.

Now the hotel concept is catching on. “They haven’t officially signed off on it but they responded favorably,” McAuliffe said of the BRA.

At Thursday night’s board meeting, the BRA gave Abbott an eighth extension on its development rights to the 5,800-square-foot site. The city’s effort to enliven the eyesore of a corner, which once housed a flimsy trailer selling theater tickets, stretches back to the late 1990s.

“The project could be under way as early as late fall, early winter of this year,” Bud Shadrawy, an attorney for co-developer Amherst Media Investors of New Jersey, told the BRA.

Shadrawy noted the idea comes on the heels of a Menino administration push for super-small and more affordable apartments in rental projects on the South Boston waterfront.

Patrick Moscaritolo, CEO of the Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau, said “small” rooms at Hub hotels typically measure around 275 square feet, while “executive king” rooms size up at 350 or so.

“This (project) will be breaking new ground because now the moderate price is driven by downsizing the room, although I’m sure some would argue the trade-off is worth it,” he said.

Rates at the Pod Hotel in New York City go as low as $89 for a bunk-bed setup, up to $169 for a queen. That compares to $200 to $500 a night for rooms elsewhere.

Christopher Muller, dean of Boston University’s School of Hospitality Administration, said Boston is attractive to micro-room hotel operators but there are few places as economically accommodating as the Theatre District parcel.

“It’s a great spot for it,” Muller said. “It’s very trendy and it appeals to people who have creative aspects who aren’t interested in doing anything but sleeping in these.”

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1395749

i need to go to NYC next month for a night or two... i may be looking into these pod hotels now....

As far as I know, the Pod Hotel at 42nd St and 10th Avenue is the only such hotel there is in NY. The reporter did imply that there are multiple such hotels in NY, but that may have been an instance of fudging the facts a bit to make a "trend" story out of something that is a bit less of a trend than the story wants it to be.

Regardless, this sounds like a fantastic project. This is a perfect place for a hotel (seems like that will do even more to liven up the area than the previous iteration of this project as condos would have), and I am thrilled they're keeping the "Times Square" lighting. Hope this one gets its financing and gets built soon.

There's the Yotel in NYC, now, which I guess they consider a pod hotel, although it sure ain't cheap. So, two's a trend?

We stayed at the Pod Hotel and it was nice. It was smaller than a typical NYC hotel room, with storage underneath the bed. Doesn't work very well for two people. Private bath.

The elevator got stuck which freaked one of us out. The lobby was nice w/ free wifi and a indoor/outdoor lounge.

As far as I know, the Pod Hotel at 42nd St and 10th Avenue is the only such hotel there is in NY. The reporter did imply that there are multiple such hotels in NY, but that may have been an instance of fudging the facts a bit to make a "trend" story out of something that is a bit less of a trend than the story wants it to be.

Regardless, this sounds like a fantastic project. This is a perfect place for a hotel (seems like that will do even more to liven up the area than the previous iteration of this project as condos would have), and I am thrilled they're keeping the "Times Square" lighting. Hope this one gets its financing and gets built soon.

Itch -- a couple of years ago -- I stayed in a hotel -- the Mansfield -- a bit higher up Manhattan (near 45th), to be close to a meeting site -- the rooms were the smallest that I'd seen in the US - but the price was well into the low $150 range.-- this place originally had been built as an orphanage around 1900 -- later converted to a rooming house and then revamped into a business hotel in the 1960's.

However, even though small -- you couldn't have the door open to the bath without blocking the view from the bed to the TV set --- I've stayed in much smaller rooms in Europe and Asia -- some of which were quite pricey due to their proximity to something of interest.

We should rename this is board archwhighlander.. I like your posts... just too many of em

Minor point.

Kudos to the Herald for its headline "Developer pitches hotel plan for slice of Theatre District" rather than the usual "Pod hotel approved for Theater District."

It's a bit more honest in terms of distinguishing between projects entering construction and trial balloons entering the approval cycle.

I just moved to San Francisco and one of the things that is amazing to me is the SRO hotel culture here. It's really such an old model once used for low income folks and people down and out but it's also perfect for adapting to high numbers of relocating professionals. I got a job out here and needed a place to stay while I went apartment hunting...I booked two weeks in a hotel for $300 a week. And it's a really nice and clean with wifi ($15/wk), private bath etc...We just don't have that in Boston and New York.

Maybe you don't have great credit and you don't want to live with a roommate...You can also apply for month to month rent and go through the process like you would for a real apartment...

If Boston made it easier for people to relocate and developed these types of weekly hotels...it would a lot easier for these people to just pack their bags, throw caution to wind and bring their talents to the city.

The pod hotel model wont cut it if they are going to charge $120 a night....you might as well stay in a hostel...The key is reasonable weekly rates; not smaller rooms.

Last edited:

So, how do you keep the clientele "classy"? Or, does it matter? Is the idea that the price is too high (and by the week) so that the almost-homeless can't pay?

About two decades ago, Mike Barnicle did a column on how all the SROs in Boston were torn down in the interest of public health and public safety - but that nothing was built to replace them, leading to the increase in homelessness.

Might not have been the most novel idea, but I had never heard it before. Makes perfect sense.

In SF, they never got around to tearing them down. The entire Tenderloin district is stuffed full of them.

The typical culprits are at work here, probably: city politics, NIMBYs, fire and safety codes, smaller neighborhoods, fewer buildings.

Tenderloin is such a unique neighborhood for being in a world city. A lot of SRO's are now turning into illegal hotels...the city just looks the other way....these 'hotels' pepper Craigslist with ads targeting 'classy' occupants. With prices $250-$350 a week and with a lot of upgrades being done; you are moving outside of the comfort range for the typical SRO welfare bum....Of course SF still has rent control on buildings developed prior to 1980...and it doesn't kick in until after 28 days. Which is perfect for short term stays. Boston doesn't have a Tenderloin or rent control; so it would definitely be tough to develop new housing based on the short term weekly rate model. But there is money to be made there considering you can probably fill all of your efficiency studios quite easily if you're offering them at $300-$400 a week and you keep your costs down.

Good articles on the history of SF SRO's and illegal hotels:

http://ccsro.org/pages/history.htm

http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=9759

Design change for this parcel. Now proposed at 19 floors and 219'.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ects/PipeDocs/Parcel P-7a/Parcel P-7a_NPC.pdf

parcel7a2.jpg

parcel7a.jpg

Design change for this parcel. Now proposed at 19 floors and 219'.

parcel7a.jpg

Hmm, taller and boxier than what was previously proposed:

wilbursquarenightshotapz8.jpg

Though I wished they would have kept the bottom three/four floors for neon, rather than the corners.

Back