Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Re: Theater District Parcel P-7A

The elimination of the rooftop bar is a bummer, but everything else is great.

How long before we get an approval?

Why did they eliminate the roof-top bar? NIMBY attacks? Menino didn't want another alcohol license going out?

I'm guessing those two forces of irrationality (NIMBYs and Menino) must explain this - there doesn't seem to be any logic behind not giving this hotel permission to have a roof-top bar. This would be the perfect location for one.

Why did they eliminate the roof-top bar? NIMBY attacks? Menino didn't want another alcohol license going out?

I'm guessing those two forces of irrationality (NIMBYs and Menino) must explain this - there doesn't seem to be any logic behind not giving this hotel permission to have a roof-top bar. This would be the perfect location for one.
It was probably just VE'd out.

Yep, that was the design released a few years ago. It was pretty good, I thought - and doesn't put the fright of "that could be cool - or it could look reaaaally cheap" in me that the latest rendering does.

I thought there was an edgier one that was posted that had Apple smeared all over it.

I thought there was an edgier one that was posted that had Apple smeared all over it.

Downburst's post on 07-24-2013, 09:23 P (#274) has the current iteration with the Apple ads.

That image would seemingly be way too short to be the current (17 story?) proposal. The pnf shows the hotel as being a fair bit taller than the building that houses the wang.

That image would seemingly be way too short to be the current (17 story?) proposal. The pnf shows the hotel as being a fair bit taller than the building that houses the wang.

Yeah, they did a nice job on the BRA website but posted ANCIENT pix of some of the developments. This one in particular is weird because the pic they show clearly contradicts everything they write about the current development in the description.

That is what I was thinking. And I thought the hotel was going to be 21-stories. When did the floor count go down?

I'm not the least bit surprised that the information on the new BRA site was either wrong, obsolete or misleading. But hey, at least looks nice and flashy right?

Anyone know why this project pulled from the BRA Board agenda last night?

^^^ There is another board meeting on Jan 2nd. Menino is still the mayuh on that date.

Maybe an obvious question, but what is the rush to get things approved before Menino leaves? Are developers and the BRA really that concerned that Walsh is going to come in yelling "stop!" ? Do developers have to refile or something?

Maybe an obvious question, but what is the rush to get things approved before Menino leaves? Are developers and the BRA really that concerned that Walsh is going to come in yelling "stop!" ? Do developers have to refile or something?

I think the developer are scared because Walsh did campaign on a complete overhaul of the BRA. While Walsh has said development would not grind to a halt, things do tend to slow down a lot during a "complete overhaul".

Walsh did campaign (though has since retracted) that he would dismantle the B.R.A. upon entering office. This created a lot of uncertainty. He received little political support from the development community in his campaign so doesn't owe any favors.

Walsh is also more or less a populist and some fear that he will not be assertive enough with the NIMBY neighborhood groups. Hopefully he will ease the transition and not make any drastic changes in his first 6 months.

I think it's ego. Menino want to be credited with being one of the most important mayors in Boston's history.

Busses -- you're doing a Riff kida misread -- Its the old refrain '' some shouts "the King is dead", fokllowed immediately by a resounding chorus of "Long Live the King"

What will happen on January 2 is that the Menino favored developers will have their last dive into the trough and a couple of days later the Walsh favored developers will have their first dive into the trough

If you want a single name lookin forward think da Don as in Chiofaro -- not exactly a Meniino favorite -- just perhaps his ship will now dock after a few years of waiting for the pier to be available?

On the other hand perhaps Anthony "call me the Y2k developer" Pangaro of Millennium Partners -- Filene's might be it for a while?

Last edited:

Back