Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

4 feet (zoning height not arch I'd assume) according to the Bay Village Apt Tower PNF:

LKE2mmNh.png

AVA 360', W Hotel 276'..... Those numbers are dead wrong. Those buildings are pretty close in height, not 84' apart. Also if you go further through that PNF you'll see they have different heights listed for some of the buildings (Revere for instance). I'm surprised you would post this. We all know the W is at least 300'.

^ But the W is hotel plus condos. This is pure hotel (I think that was the point).

^ But the W is hotel plus condos. This is pure hotel (I think that was the point).

yes that was my point, sorry I didn't make it more clear. Otherwise the Ritz Tower is also in play. Same reason why One Dalton doesn't qualify. I was interested in all hotel towers only.

In regards to ground level activation; three things. First, given the site, the elevator/core is going to have to go somewhere, and it will restrict ground level whatever in the southeast corner of this building. This has already been discussed on this thread.

Second, I don't know what is second.. but third, please get Los Gemios to the Wilbur when this building opens. We have already had them illustrate the vent building on the Rose Kennedy, and had a serious exhibition with them at the ICA. They also have a small graffiti thing on the side of the Revere.

It would be cool for them to interact with the space, connect it across Charles St. with their other installation, and generally bring an international vibe for what is certain to become a place for travelers.

Work has begun. Sign superstructure was taken down yesterday and there is an excavator on site today.

This is awesome! What a great little project, I've been wanting this to get started forever. I wish the electronic sign was bigger :/

So I drove through the theater district last night around 10pm(Tremont Street) and it was booming last night. Traffic was bumper to bumper all the theaters and bars had lines out the door. It was amazing to see. The only thing the area is missing is a couple of Felt like clubs now, maybe a couple better food options,I'm sure building this hotel will help increase the appeal to this area. Felt like I was in New York for a second. I think the city can do more to promote the area. The Walsh administration doesnt seem to care about nightlife that much. Thoughts anyone?

So I drove through the theater district last night around 10pm(Tremont Street) and it was booming last night. Traffic was bumper to bumper all the theaters and bars had lines out the door. It was amazing to see. The only thing the area is missing is a couple of Felt like clubs now, maybe a couple better food options,I'm sure building this hotel will help increase the appeal to this area. Felt like I was in New York for a second. I think the city can do more to promote the area. The Walsh administration doesnt seem to care about nightlife that much. Thoughts anyone?

I agree that theater district has been increasing in energy / people out& about these days. I think the Moxy will fill a nice gap, and make the W less of an island.

I'm kinda neutral re: Walsh in general, but I don't think it's quite fair to say he doesn't care about nightlife. He was a big champion of late night hours on the T and on getting more liquor licenses for the city (now, neither of those are quite working out yet, but it's been due to the opposition, not Walsh).

Site preparation has started.

picture.php

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

Earlier in the day part of Tremont Street was blocked off for utility access work.

Good to see,I'm across the street at the transportation building weekly and fail to notice they remove everything from site 😳

It is just me or have we not seen an official rendering of the hotel? Not just sketches

^ this thing has a fantastic cantilever over the sidewalk. It will be fun to watch the structure go in. Though the height is modest, this will nonetheless probably require a substantial foundation system.

I like this tower a lot. Its obviously not a game changer but it looks like they did a good job designing it and its going to fill in Stuart St even more. It looks clean.

Stuart st gets more and more interesting every year. Down by 1 greenway is kind of stuart streets "pike parcel" area that once it gets its own building to block the highway is going to improve it a lot.

I like this tower a lot. Its obviously not a game changer but it looks like they did a good job designing it and its going to fill in Stuart St even more. It looks clean.

Stuart st gets more and more interesting every year. Down by 1 greenway is kind of stuart streets "pike parcel" area that once it gets its own building to block the highway is going to improve it a lot.

Stick, I actually think this could be somewhat of a game changer. That vacant lot is on a pretty critical corner - it marks the beginning of a fairly dead zone heading east on Kneeland and south on Tremont. This will activate the corner significantly, and detract/distract from those dead zones in a positive way.

I definitely agree, although the ground level seems to be bare minimum, just having something in this plot will help a lot. Plus I believe its supposed to have an LCD screen and a theater.

^Totally - I griped already upthread about how they could've activated the Kneeland St side a lot more, but at least there will be people on that corner at night and not just dark pavement.

On another note - does anyone remember the little pizza place across from Wang that was literally a hole in the brick facade of that old building, just a little window right on the sidewalk serving slices?

Back