Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

[sarcasm]Tits?! We can't have sex! That will scare away all those suburbanites whose money we so desperately need! [/sarcasm]

Why can't sex be an acceptable form of entertainment? I guess this is the wrong place to ask that.

But what ask is this: Is Times Sq better now that it has been Disney-fied?
There are some who want to make Bostons Theater District like Times Sq. and all I have to say is, "Have you ever been to Times Sq?"

Fuck that place. Tourists and suburbanites can stay home if sex offends them so much.

?

Sorry, couldn't disagree more.

Times Square today is a vast improvement from what it was.

I'll take the tourists and congestion over slums, any day.

Re: ?

JimboJones said:
Times Square today is a vast improvement from what it was.
Sometimes I think this, and sometimes I don't. It's arguable.

Economically, it's probably a wash; making money has gone from pimps, whores, strippers and scam artists to big corporations and chain stores.

I'll take the tourists and congestion over slums, any day.
A well-patrolled district is not necessarily a slum, as Amsterdam, Las Vegas or Pigalle will attest. If built from scratch it could resemble the collection of antiseptic-looking clubs that are beginning to appear along the Hudson in the West 40's and 50's.

vanshnookenraggen said:
Fuck that place. Tourists and suburbanites can stay home if sex offends them so much.
It's not the tourists and suburbanites who is offended. It's the people who lives in Chinatown. And I disagree about making more of these strip clubs because though it bring entertainment, it also increases crime rate around the area.

DarkFenX said:
It's not the tourists and suburbanites who is offended. It's the people who lives in Chinatown.
Exactly. And that's why the zoning district that allows it should be moved to the Seaport.

Not much left to save.

How will they make it live up to its grandiloquent exterior?

A bit off-topic but I just found this on a Google Image Search and thought it was awesome so I figured I would share:
005943.jpg

This was the Tremont Street entrance to the first B.F. Keith Theatre. I believe it was reused for the later B.F. Keith Memorial (later called Savoy, now called Opera House). Unfortunately, the elaborate detail was long gone by the 1960s, and the entrance was demolished in the 1980s.

Emerson's Paramount extension project will occupy the former site of the first Keith theatre.

Actually, a replacement entrance was rebuilt on Tremont St. next to the new condo building. It vaguely calls to mind the fanciful picture above; it has a white facade and, if opened, would allow pedestrians to pass through to the Opera House.

Except that there is no public entrance to the Opera House from Mason Street anymore. That went away with the stage expansion in 2002-2004.

An article in this week's Regional Review says that Suffolk University is considering a feasibility study of renovating the Modern Theatre, which would be next door to their new dormitory.

I think there was a similar mention of that in The Courant....it is part of the concessions of converting 10 West into a dorm.

If this happens, it will leave only the RKO Boston still sitting abandoned and unloved. (Well, also the Wilbur, which currently has a For Lease sign on it.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see a national chain take over some of these as small - medium venues. I know in NYC there have been a rash of venue closings but there have also been a wave of closed ones reopening under the Blender "brand". As much as I like seeing new ones open I hate that they change the name of established places, but whatever.

Ron Newman said:
...the Wilbur, which currently has a For Lease sign on it.
Renovations left and right, but truth is: Boston can't get its theatre act together.

Moribund and provincial. No wonder the patronage isn't sufficient to keep the theatres open.

Why is Boston's theatre scene so dull and uninspiring? There's no shortage of educated people.

(And this coming from a theatre buff who regularly checks the listings for something that might motivate a visit).

Back