Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment + Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex | MH

Re: Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment/ Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex

As ugly as that current apartment building is, it manages to look more dignified than the new Fenwood Inn. And it has more capacity, too!

The Binney St. building looks like it came straight out of the "what we learned not to build in the 50s" handbook. It's not even an attempt at elegant modernism; it just looks like disposable postwar trash.

I pray the larger and more visible parts of this project don't follow similar design philosophies.

Re: Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment/ Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex

The old Mass Mental is no more

5449056651_3f756bc5c2_b.jpg

5449057311_f0dcc257e0_b.jpg

And the little addition is well under way

5449665628_3526bd84a0_b.jpg

5449666592_2350229b89_b.jpg

(^bad angle, but no way was I trying to park around there)

So the Farber, Brigham, and Children's are all expanding. I think the BI leased space in the new Blackfan research center. When is Joslin going to get its act together and fill in the gaping hole @ Longwood and Brookline??

^^ On good authority, Longwood Center is in the mail.

Yesterday:

5696186279_2e66809283_b.jpg

5696763628_3a6333e70d_b.jpg

5696187717_12645b03f5_b.jpg

^lower floors look very awkward

6041169667_3b6f107b28_b.jpg

6041170235_da6f35f7a5_b.jpg

This is the smaller project on Vining Street:

6041719136_222f0b7b5d_b.jpg

6421436043_55eaab1967_b.jpg

6421438245_8760ba1ef9_b.jpg

Hiya, 1960!

In all honesty though, I don't hate this. I like the louvers, and they'd be even better if those silly terra cotta colored alucobond panels weren't there.

Between this building and the Simmons Hall expansion, we have a full on Neo-Modernism movement on our hands!

Hiya, 1960!

In all honesty though, I don't hate this. I like the louvers, and they'd be even better if those silly terra cotta colored alucobond panels weren't there.

I actually like the terra cotta...I know that's weird, but that part of the building backs up to the parking garage, and it's used sparingly. It's a winner to me, and I hope when others decide to use terra cotta, they'll use it similarly to this project.

Wow the building is already dated by decades...

I like it though in a quirky way.

Win. It's unique, it's interesting, and it blends in.

Brigham and Women's plans a 12 story $450 million building at Brookline Ave and the Riverway (vacant Fernwood Rd lot); 350,000 sq ft to be used mostly for clinical research. 400 underground parking spaces. Construction start 2013. The vacant lot between Fernwood and Vining is used for parking by Google Streetview, or is the vacant lot where the old red brick Mass Mental Health building was demolished?

Also B&W will build an underground parking garage (400 more spaces) on the Francis St Common near Huntington Ave. Top of the garage would be grass and gardens. To be completed by 2014, cost $55 million. I am guessing that is the space right at the corner of Francis and Huntington, near the old front entrance to Peter Bent Brigham.

http://www.boston.com/business/heal...s_to_expand_while_cutting_back/?p1=News_links

Last edited:

so are they canceling the residential portion?

so are they canceling the residential portion?
If not cancelled, pushed back. $55 million for a 400 space parking garage is expensive.

Not sure if this means anything, but I found a truck drilling (GeoLogic of Norfolk, MA) in the SE corner of the southern portion of this site. This is the portion they paved about 3 or 4 months ago. I thought the next phase of the build out was going to be the residence tower on the northern portion. B&W changed mind??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/6789429890/in/photostream

Back