Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment + Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex | MH

Re: Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment/ Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex

6421436043_55eaab1967_b.jpg

Uh...who stole Boston and replaced it with Brussels?

Re: Mass Mental Health Center Redevelopment/ Brigham & Women's Mixed Use Complex

This new project at Brigham Circle stands to radically make over what has been an auto-centric no man's land:

8209848293_fc197587de_b.jpg

The current parking setup is so repelling to the average person that, despite having gone by here dozens of time, I never noticed the two flanking buildings and their symmetrical composition. I'm glad to see they're not only sticking around, but being brought back to their former glory.

I always enjoy Halvoron's landscaping. I hope plantings aren't VEd out because this is understated but quite nice.

Keep in mind that it will take several years for the plantings to mature to a point where the landscape looks anything like the rendering.

Keep in mind that it will take several years for the plantings to mature to a point where the landscape looks anything like the rendering.

Right, I mean I hope they actually plant them not just go with grass.

Though if they have enough money, it's possible to plant fairly mature trees that will afford plenty of coverage and shade (e.g. Post Office Sq. park).

Apparently there's no dysfunctional or aesthetically repulsive space in this city that cannot be fixed with a new urban lawn.

This is exactly what should be done with City Hall Plaza.

Apparently there's no dysfunctional or aesthetically repulsive space in this city that cannot be fixed with a new urban lawn.

Not getting your complaint, briv. What would you do here?

I'm just generally annoyed with the non-stop proliferation of lawns in this city. Most of them, IMO, are useless or dysfunctional. And while I do appreciate the restoration of the formal axial plan in this case, I think laying down a bed of grass is about the most banal, unimaginative thing you can possibly do.

Agreed. Given its Portuguese population, how about giving Boston at least one square with some calcada pavement?

macao18.jpg

underground01.jpg

Pair with some colorful Bryant Park-style heavy chairs.

I like!

It looks like they are getting ready to start work on the Fenwood Residence. The Suffolk signs have appeared on the fences and office module. A geo truck is drilling on the site (left side of pic) and some minor site prep has begun.

Fenwood Residence 12/23

Centennial Quad underway:

8734520884_6a1d7f7d0f_b.jpg

I know it'll take a couple of years to really mature, but I really think that's going to look nice when everything is done/grown in.

Centennial Quad underway:

8734520884_6a1d7f7d0f_b.jpg

Just add a giant clock to that pediment and this'll look just like Back to the Future's Courthouse Square. Hopefully it'll become an annual tradition to screen the movie on the quad when it's completed.

haha that's a very good call. And to think there are probably 1,000 Doc Browns only a couple of blocks away doing science experiments.

Cries out for a dome or something...

Have they had an offical ground breaking at this site? The site has been fenced off, the parking lot is being torn up and trees removed. As you can see three earth movers have been moved onto the site. Is this thing still called the BBF (Brigham Building of the Future)?

Last edited:

The BRA website has the residential portion of this development listed as U/C, although I doubt it starts until the new Brigham Building for the Future is done. In any case, the most recent renderings (as of 7/1/2013) have it reduced to a 10 story building by ADD (vs. 14? by TAT?). Link to the presentation is:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/4ef97a3c-5591-414b-aa34-ea15a242dd6c

Back