Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Expansion | West End

Jason Lederer, a project manager for the Charles River Conservancy, a nonprofit advocacy group, read a letter from president Renata von Tscharner, who opposed the project. "To build a private, underground garage on parkland is simply not appropriate, the existing contains many mature trees that would be destroyed for the garage," the letter said.

It's amazing that these people comment without even understanding the plan. Democracy in action!

Adam, I think that's not actually the root of the problem. That's just part of their delirium.

The real problem is that THEY (themselves) refuse to acknowledge the existence of the T. THEY are likely car-drivers who live in the West End, park in their luxury underground garages, and sit in traffic all day. They are entitled to the road, but others aren't simply because they were there first. I read their concerns about traffic and studies as nothing more than ME ME ME.

I would like something to cover the giant concrete facade that is currently messing up my nice view from cambridge. But can someone please tell me why the building is like a big capped tooth? Is it the law of unintended consequences applied to historic preservation?

What makes you think the Charles River Conservancy doesn't understand the plan?

The Conservancy wants to move part of Storrow Drive away from the river. MEEI wants to move the other part of Storrow closer to the river. The two plans are in direct conflict.

ya but one plan creates a usable building on an awkward parking lot in a intersection and take no green space. The other plan is to turn it into an awkward and difficult to access and redundant park while leaving busy roads on both sides. I go with plan A.

There are two lanes. The plan's to move them both closer together. And no part of the garage goes into former park land.

I think the batshit crazy lady was talking about the existing mature trees along the edge of the existing parking lot.
You know they really do make for a pleasant stroll through an asphalt parking lot sandwiched between Storrow Drive and the Charles St extension.

Mass needs better gun laws so these people can access them, then accidently shoot themselves to clear way for healthy city improvements

The parking lot actually is former park land, as is Storrow Drive itself. I don't want to see the road squeezed further towards the river; the opposite should happen.

I don't understand the hubbub this has generated, and will undoubtedly continue to generate. According to that rendering all MEEI wants to do is move the inbound lane out by about 50 feet; the outbound lanes and all of the on- and off-ramps are staying put...nothing earth shattering. And yet I get the distinct sense that emotions over this will soon spiral hilariously out of control.

But, let me repeat, the Charles River Conservancy and Esplanade Association want to have the Esplanade widened here, by moving the outbound lanes away from the river, to the next archway inland. You can't do that if MEEI is trying to do the exact opposite.

Ron, if you look at the map you'll see the lanes are more than far enough appart to substantially move both the inbound towards the Esplanade and the outbound towards MEEI. It's not a mutually exclusive proposition either way.

Mumbles puts his foot down:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r....html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-06-29

The mayor, who’s support essential to getting any major commercial real estate project built in the Hub, has given the proposal a thumbs down. “I’m against it right now,” Menino told the Boston Business Journal. “Where’s the money coming from? How are they going to change the configuration of the roadway? They want to do air rights over Charles Street. How do you do that? It’s a historical district.”

Mayor Does Not Yet Understand Finances, Construction Methods, Preservation Implications
Objects to Project Anyway Based on Finances, Construction Questions, Preservation Concerns

The West End's a historic district now? Or does the mayor not know where MEEI is?

He must have heard someone say "Charles Street", flipped through his trusty copy of Fodor's Boston and pictured a bunch of antique shops.

Ron, if you look at the map you'll see the lanes are more than far enough appart to substantially move both the inbound towards the Esplanade and the outbound towards MEEI. It's not a mutually exclusive proposition either way.

Uground -- yesterday I was driving Storrow enroute to parking at the MOS and taking the T to a meeting at the Westin @ Copley

It took more than 20 minutes to make the drive from the western end of the Storrow Tunnel to the split where the mob decides either to go under to the Tobin or stay right and go under to the Tip and Ted

Hopefully, if they bury the parking lot -- they will fix the rotten lane allocations (might mean widening Storrow for a few hundred feet)

Back