MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin developers eye Pike parcels for project

The B&T story has one rendering. It says you have to be a subscriber to read the entire article but I get in with just signing up and in.

Is there an existing thread for Parcels 12, 13, 14, and 15? Sorry, I could only find this one here.

There was news today about these four parcels.

To refresh your memories:

Parcel 12: The westernmost parcel; west of Mass Ave between Boylston Street and the Newbury Street extension including the Mass Pike westbound onramp. 78,000-sqft.

Parcel 13: East of Mass Ave and north of Boylston Street, this parcel includes air rights over portions of the MBTA Green Line. 54,500-sqft.

Parcel 14: That tiny (520-sqft) island south of Boylston Street bounded by Boylston, Cambria and St. Cecelia Streets.

Parcel 15: The easternmost parcel bounded by Boylston, Dalton and Cambria Streets. It’s south of Boylston Street. It includes only the 12,520-sqft over the rail lines. The adjacent 10,921-sqft of air rights over the Turnpike are owned by Prudential.

Above from: http://www.fenwaynews.org/miscellaneous/and-theyre-off/

Over the Pike Plans
Boston.com
by Steve Holt

The triangular parcel along Boylston Street has always been such a void that it’s easy not to see: a hole in the street that exposes steel and concrete infrastructure and conducts the roar of traffic from the highway below.

The site’s peculiar challenges and the difficulty of developing real estate in Boston have combined to stymie improvement of one of Boston’s most prominent crossroads, where the Fenway and the Back Bay meet along the busy spine of Massachusetts Avenue.

The state is trying to breathe new life into this and several adjoining locations over the Massachusetts Turnpike, by reviving the process to award air rights for projects that would close in those open scars - a process shelved several years ago because of the recession.

“It seems like the time to turn our attention back to this,’’ said Peter O’Connor, head of real estate for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. “It feels like a place that is crying out for a little bit of redevelopment. Getting some of these projects done there is going to really help that area achieve its potential.’’

The department is dusting off submissions that transportation authorities received in 2008 to redevelop the Boylston Street property, known as Parcel 13, and several others in that corridor.

One important recent step was the finalizing of a Citizens Advisory Committee, appointed by Mayor Thomas M. Menino, that will vet proposals for each of the four sites for their effect on the surrounding neighborhoods. The Boston Redevelopment Authority has instructed the committee to start by reviewing the lone proposal for Parcel 13, submitted by Trinity Financial and its partner in the venture, Boston Architectural College.

The other parcels include two smaller properties across Boylston Street that slope toward Dalton Street, and a larger one on the other side of Massachusetts Avenue that covers the turnpike from Boylston to Newbury streets.

But the relaunched effort will face tough going: Community opposition is a given, and a lengthy public review will still be required.

And there is the specter of the failed Columbus Center project looming over any turnpike development plan. The mega-mixed-used complex, which would have straddled the turnpike about a half-mile east of Parcel 13, became so expensive to build that its developers gave up.

And constructing a deck over a highway to support big new buildings is difficult and expensive. So Fritz Casselman, a member of the Citizens Advisory Committee, approaches his review of the first of the new proposals, that for Parcel 13, with a question nagging at him: Is it really going to happen?

“Are we looking at another Columbus Center?’’ Casselman asked. “Nobody wants that. I don’t think that will ever happen.’’

The plan for Parcel 13 calls for dormitory space, classrooms, and offices for the Boston Architectural College, as well as retail and rental apartments. The mixed-use building would extend over the turnpike from the Massachusetts Avenue end east down Boylston Street, about a half block.

Trinity’s project manager, Kenan Bigby, said the development would reopen a long-closed second entrance to the MBTA’s Green Line at Hynes Convention Center and make the station accessible to the handicapped.

Ted Landsmark, Boston Architectural College’s president, said school officials were “enthusiastic from the start’’ after seeing how Trinity’s plans would allow the institution to expand. The school is around the corner from the site, on Newbury Street.

“The additional space in the building that we would be able to utilize for shared student purposes was viewed as a significant enhancement to our ability to support our students,’’ Landsmark said, adding that students have worked on designs for spaces inside and outside the proposed building.

A retired teacher and Fenway resident, Warren Cutler, walks past the Boylston Street site daily. He said that while the Trinity-Boston Architectural College project won’t affect him personally, he anticipates it will cause some problems at one of the city’s busiest intersections.

“There’s going to be a lot of building around, and it’s going to affect car traffic,’’ Cutler said. “That corner is heavily trafficked by pedestrians and cars. It will have an effect.’’

But Trinity said it has received letters of support from community groups.

Bigby, the project manager, said that pending approval, Trinity aims to break ground by spring. “We think we’ve lined the project up that we can achieve those goals, and we’ll just have to continue to work with the city and state and community to get to that point,’’ Bigby said. “We think the project is positioned in such a way that those are achievable dates.’’

Development of the other three MassPike parcels - for which Chiofaro Co., Carpenter & Co., and a team including Weiner Ventures and ADG Scotia LLC had submitted proposals - will probably take longer, as agencies and community groups narrow down competing proposals. These plans include a 200-room hotel, a 500-unit residential building, and an office complex of more than a half-million square feet.

Individually, each project is sure to create issues with neighbors and others; collectively, four big developments in the span of a half-mile would probably raise a big question: Is this too much construction at once?

O’Connor said that as the owner of the property the Transportation Department is not in a position to control when everything gets built over the highway. That is up to regulators and members of the community, through the Citizens Advisory Committee, he said.

Their challenge, O’Connor added, can be reduced to a single question:

“Would you rather have all the development happen at once and get it over with or would you rather take it one step at a time and do it that way?’’

Link: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/07/27/pike_air_rights_projects_in_works/?page=full

We may soon need to start individual threads
MassDOT Turnpike Air Rights Parcels 12-15 CAC Mtg
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Division-Department: Planning and Zoning - BRA
Description: MassDOT Turnpike Air Rights Parcels 12-15 CAC Meeting #1
Location: Boston Public Library - Central Library at Copley Square - Boston Room, 1st Floor
700 Boylston Street

This is a reminder that the next working session for the MassDOT Air Rights Parcels 12-15 CAC is Thursday, October 13th, from 6:30-8:30 at the Copley Public Library in the Boston Room.

time for a new title or perhaps separate threads for each parcel?

Not really sure what to make of that, guess you had to be there.

Jeez, that made my eyes hurt. The fossils at the BRA need to brush up on their PowerPoint skills:

video_professor.jpg

Aren't some of the renderings new?

Are they planning to leave the turnpike partialy uncovered on Parce 13?

Not really sure what to make of that, guess you had to be there.

Van -- the powerpoint might be short on accompanying text -- but the history lesson that is taught in the first 30 some slides is invaluable

I doubt if there are more than a handful of members of the forum who can imagine that as late as the early 1950's that the site of the Pru was a good fascimile of the Beacon Park railroad yard (slide 11 through 18)

The history of failed developments or if not failed at least on hold (Fenway area) is also very instructive (slide 36 through 45)

As to the proposals and the renders -- I think I like to combine so pieces from several:

I like the streetscape of parcels 12, 13 of Trinirty

I also like the towers of parcel 15 of Chiofforo and Wiener

I think the existing garage should be a part of any project as in Carpenters proposal -- although their tower is strange

Hopefully the final competition will treat each of the parcels as individual lots just as one might do on a Boylston block not connected to the Turnpike

The Trinity proposal looks awesome. It would make that corner great. hy at parcel 15 and they not decking the whole thing to have a continuous frontWage to hynes. Seems like if you are going to deck those intersection, you shouldn't leave a random gap. I'd even be fine if they cover it and make it a (hold breath) park. Although the economics on that wouldnt work, so cover and build up. can't be any more expensive then the other parcels.

I retract that, the plan does, but those are prudentials air rights and not the turnpikes. :rolleyes:

Boylston and Mass Ave is one of the premier corners of Boston, let's hope that one of these moves forward. Given the confluence of public transit, foot traffic, commercial activity and residential areas nearby, if this isn't profitable, then I'm not sure any turnpike parcles will ever happen.

Beyond the low-fi graphics of the powerpoint, the other thing that stood out was what an immense opportunity was missed with Columbus Center. Let's hope that one or more of the turnpike air rights parcels finally get built out.

Another thing that stands out in that presentation is the fact that they present Fenway Center (One Kenmore, etc.) as a "dead project", which I'm pretty sure it isn't. The construction may be proceeding at a glacial pace, but as of yet it hasn't died...

The problem in all of these cases is neighborhood opponents who don't really behave like NIMBYs. Rather, they're like the Joker in The Dark Knight - they just want to watch these projects burn. It isn't about fixing the scar or improving connectivity without harming the neighborhood, it's about inflating their own egos at the expense of the city's future.

This current crop looks very nice, but what's to stop them from falling into the same trap (which is partially the creation of the BRA) as well? I see nothing in this PowerPoint to suggest that any of this has a real chance.

Are they planning to leave the turnpike partialy uncovered on Parce 13?

Makes no sense. The plan puts the Hynes service entrance access driveway totally underground underneath the new development. That would've been the only conceivable need to leave an open space, but looks like they've got that taken care of. The undecked portion on the renderings is totally superfluous. Can't they at least throw a park on top of it if they're not gonna build there?

I hope Hynes T stop actually gets a proper Boylston St. lobby as part of this. It's baffling enough that they refuse to open the current entrance. Putting it right at the sidewalk with some spaciousness inside would hugely improve the access. Ditto incorporating proper bus waiting areas into the storefronts of the Mass Ave. facing sides of Parcels 13 and 12 so the sidewalks are not so clogged with #1 riders and there's direct access on both sides into Hynes station.

I agree with the points made on pages 40, 46 and 56 of the BRA powerpoint presentation.

Don't like the Trinity plan for the area.

Honestly ANY of those would be great.

The first one is most likely given what's been going up around town these days.

I like the Weiner tower but the low section is crap.

I like the Chiofaro least.

1. Wiener
2, Carpenter
3. Chifaro (I don't think he'd be able to pull it off anyway)

Interesting the Weiner/Samuels owns the homeless garden behind the Scotia garage. I've always wondered about that parcel.

Also, I had no idea that the Prudential owned air rights at the Dalton/Boylston corner - have there been any plans for that parcel?

Trinity, despite the bad renders, is the only one proposing to build up both parcels 12 and 13 - the real trenches around Boylston/Mass.

Back