MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

while i dont love the design -- boston has too many flat or slanted roofs. how about another ziggurat-eque peak like the old JHT? -- i do like the height and placement. plays well both with what's currently surrounding and what'll be there soon. i hope this happens, although i realize that even if it does ultimately get approved nothing will actually be "done" until... 7(?) years or something.

What with the top floors drawing the highest $$$ you'd be more likely to see an inverted ziggurat.

It looks pretty good. I'm skeptical it clears the neighborhood but we'll see... the city (mayor) seems to be less concerned with neighborhood bitchiness for key construction proposals and if the only way this part of the Pike actually gets built over and restores some of the urban fabric it may just end up happening.

^^120 people in the neighborhood shitting over a 616' highrise that..... blah, blah, blah, da, da ....blah, blahblah.

Ask the West Enders how that turned out..... + vs ++ this one is wayyy better.

Re: Wiener Ventures Tower/1000 Boylston

A beautiful tower! And it covers the pike!

Wrong thread. This isn't air rights nor is it on Boylston.

Not gonna lie: I thought the new tower was very close to the Pru, but the one-block distance makes all the difference in the world. I can intellectually argue for more height and density, but I cringe deep inside looking at those renders. Forget that the building looks like crap — it changes the vantage everywhere. I DO love that when facing outbound on Boylston from Copley, you're looking at a manageable and homey low rise, old fashioned view. Ditto from Kenmore. I don't like this at all. I may end up supporting it nonetheless. But it sure as hell won't be for me.

i attended the meetings. Helps when you're walking up to the meeting 30 feet from the parcel... That block is the deadest stump literally 150 feet from so much foot traffic -- unbelieveable they didn't fix this in 1985. Now, hole shut, unreal street improvement, very good building ...minus 1 shitty render. when i want some fast retail, coffee/donuts/ egg whites and danish, and warm up on a cold winter's day this spot will be it.

And the nimby's want all this gone.

bunch of assholes.

Odurandina (or others), based on your attendance at those meetings, what's your best assessment as to whether this project will ever see the light of day, and at what point might we know its fate? (wasn't sure if there was a vote coming up, etc). Thanks.

just guessin' November BPDA meeting will be a few days after the election. 1000 Boylston gets rammed through on that day if Marty loses.... 1000 Boylston would sail through by Jan or Feb if Marty wins.

this tower is already approved by the Board.

they just haven't approved it in front of the cameras.

it's a powderkeg.

There are certain angles, such as from Mass Ave. Bridge, where I just love this tower.

Odurandina -

Thanks for your reply, but I'm confused: you wrote that "the tower is already approved by the Board," but on the Board's website the project is listed as being "UNDER REVIEW" rather than at the next stage of "Board Approved."

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/1000-boylston-street

I'm sure I'm getting something wrong here, but can you (or someone) help clarify what it is? Thanks!

Last edited:
^ I believe odurandina means "as good as approved."

Not gonna lie: I thought the new tower was very close to the Pru, but the one-block distance makes all the difference in the world. I can intellectually argue for more height and density, but I cringe deep inside looking at those renders. Forget that the building looks like crap — it changes the vantage everywhere.

1 Dalton will change the vantage from everywhere way more than this one, and that's happening now. If anything, from most angles this tower will help bring back some balance.

1 Dalton will change the vantage from everywhere way more than this one, and that's happening now. If anything, from most angles this tower will help bring back some balance.

True - re: the Back Bay and Kenmore views in the renders. But I especially dont like the way this new one hulks along Boylston. AND, I'm expecting that 1 Dalton will be a lot more svelte than this blunt hunk they're proposing here.

This isn't that large a building compared to many others especially some nearby neighbors... like the Hancock building for example. It is relatively thin compared to many other buildings in Boston. It seems like you are reacting more to the change in an immediate negative way than actually on the merits of the building and what it will do for the city.

Havent seen some of these posted before.

https://postimage.io/

MassDOT-Air-Rights-Development-Parcels-12-15-Back-Bay-Fenway-Boston-Samuels-Associates-Weiner-Ventures-Prudential-Financial-Housing-Apartments-Condos-Retail.jpg

Last edited:

Back