MBTA 2014 Bluebook

Bad news on the Commuter Rail ridership front: Weekday ridership went from 140k+ in 2009 down to 129k in 2013. The transfer from MBCR to Keolis can't come any sooner.

On the other hand, rapid transit ridership is up-up-up.

Red line: 192k to 217k
Orange line: 141k to 159k
Blue line: 44k to 50k

However, ridership on the Green line subway is down slightly, from 96k to 87k.

These are all 2009 and 2013 figures respectively.

I speculate that the aggressive fare and parking increases have hurt ridership numbers on the commuter rail

Uhm, are we looking at the same numbers?

Bluebook 2009 to 2014

Red Line: 243k to 273k
Orange Line: 183k to 203k
Blue Line: 58k to 63k
Green Line: 250k to 228k

The Red Line has really spiked in ridership.

The Green Line is a bit surprising since it is busy as ever. Maybe people are being discouraged and moving away from it. One change that stood out to me was that Packard's Corner has now taken over firmly as the Number 2 station in boardings behind Harvard Ave, eclipsing Babcock Street by quite a bit. I remember that in the old Bluebooks, Packard's Corner was always kind of mediocre in boardings, but that did not jive with my observations.

The Green Line is a bit surprising since it is busy as ever. Maybe people are being discouraged and moving away from it. One change that stood out to me was that Packard's Corner has now taken over firmly as the Number 2 station in boardings behind Harvard Ave, eclipsing Babcock Street by quite a bit. I remember that in the old Bluebooks, Packard's Corner was always kind of mediocre in boardings, but that did not jive with my observations.

Maybe it has to do with the lack of 3 car trains on the GL anymore? It seems more busy even though overall there's less capacity.

There's a lot of horrible errors in this, and some possible outright lies:

Hyde Park jumped from 628 to 148 riders
Islington: 285 to 844
South Weymouth: 721 to 136 three years ago; never recovered

The worst, though, the the 2007 Newburyport/Rockport Line data. It's clearly faked. Bev Farms, Pride's Crossing, Salem, Swampscott, Lynn, and Chelsea all have numbers that are very far off the values in others years - a jump from 14 to 244, for Pride's!

These CR nunbers are a joke. Who is collecting them? And what are they smoking. The conductors aren't gathering these (?). They can't even collect the fares. The CR is losing a lot of money every day. Conductors can't be bothered to collect fares let alone count heads. Can't wait for the change, but I hope there will be a shake up of the conductors. Half of them should be given the boot. Why are the 3 conductors allowed to jam everyone into two cars of a 5 or 6 car train? Are they revolting (work to rule), because of the double deckers or just plain lazy? I pick the latter!!!!!

Last edited:
Uhm, are we looking at the same numbers?

B.

The first person was looking at the summaries of entries at stations by line, which does not include riders transferring from other lines, while you are looking at the total activity by line (which includes transfers)

Are outbound commuter rail boardings by station seriously not included in this thing for the second time in a row?

I found outbound ridership per line, but per station doesn't appear to be in here. Again.

Maybe I'm just the only person in the whole world who thinks that might be useful information to have. I don't know.

Are outbound commuter rail boardings by station seriously not included in this thing for the second time in a row?

I found outbound ridership per line, but per station doesn't appear to be in here. Again.

Maybe I'm just the only person in the whole world who thinks that might be useful information to have. I don't know.

They don't have detailed outbound data by station (except in the MPO report). The MPO report summarizes the different sources of commuter rail ridership that are available:

(quote from the MPO report)
Limitations of Other Commuter Rail Ridership Information Sources, and are summarized below:

Unlike rapid transit and bus services that are operated directly by the MBTA, the commuter rail system has never had faregates or fareboxes that can count passengers. Conductors on board each train must collect fares and inspect passes, but they do not record each transaction. Monthly ticket and pass sales figures can be used to estimate ridership, but they do not show the distribution of trips by day or by station.

-Conductors are required to file headcount reports showing the total number of passengers on each trip each day, but these are usually rough estimates rather than actual counts and are inconsistent with figures obtained by other means.

-MBCR Train Audits are performed a few times each year by conductors, who count the number of riders by fare-payment type boarding each inbound train at each station on one weekday, one Saturday, and one Sunday. The Train Audits usually portray much higher ridership than indicated by platform boarding and alighting counts, onboard peak load counts, or daily totals derived from monthly ticket and pass sales figures.

-Peak-period passenger counts, which are taken twice each year by consultants to MBCR, include inbound AM peak alightings and outbound PM peak boardings at North Station, South Station, Back Bay, and seven other stations in fare Zone 1A or with direct rapid transit system connections. These are reasonably accurate but do not provide any information about off-peak ridership or ridership at any stations that are not included in the counts.

Anyone notice the bit for the provisions for the never built PO square subway? Does anyone know anything more about this? It'd be really interesting to find out what they had planned.

It looks like it would have had to go under the tremont st subway?

Anyone notice the bit for the provisions for the never built PO square subway? Does anyone know anything more about this? It'd be really interesting to find out what they had planned.

It looks like it would have had to go under the tremont st subway?

This is what he's talking about btw:

2wrqb6e.png

Back