MBTA Buses & Infrastructure

Ok I get that building the new curbs and bus islands will take a while, but there has to be a quick-build method for this right? Put down paint in the center bus lanes and put down planters and flexposts to designate the bus-stop islands. And paint new zebra-crossings and traffic-calming markings for all the new mid-block ped crossings.
At least semi-permenant islands are needed for any new median bus stops for accessibility, and any new bus stop islands will mean reconfiguring all the other traffic lanes. That's 75% of the work of the full solution, so better to just get the work done all at once.

Local politics is so deeply, frustratingly, small “c” conservative. We dreamed big and fucked up big with post-war planning and development. Now each individual change to the built environment has a hefty burden of proof that it won’t make things worse, even when the benefits seem obvious.
The most succinct summary of our civilizational struggle I’ve seen

Hopefully this new layout will make it so people cant double and triple park on BHA anymore, its by far the worst road for this in the entire city. The right lane isnt even usable much of the way due to so many people parked in it, drives me crazy. BHA is the perfect road for center running bus lanes so glad to see this.

Local politics is so deeply, frustratingly, small “c” conservative. We dreamed big and fucked up big with post-war planning and development. Now each individual change to the built environment has a hefty burden of proof that it won’t make things worse, even when the benefits seem obvious.
That post-war "dream big" also came with "tell the townies to put up or else". Which is why that post-war stuff didn't end up working out in the long term.

Probably airing an unpopular opinion here given the vibe, but I can understand why it's taken so long for the city to do the right thing and give this project the official green light. The 28X proposal was like the Hindenberg (highly recommend SB Mass's piece on that for context). The political backlash was real with all the state and local electeds coming down on Governor Patrick and MassDOT. It's only natural that A) any public agency would need several years for things to cool off beyond trying again, and B) there would need to be strong political support before proceeding. To get that second part, any agency would need to do an act of contrition by the public process (which the city seems to have done). I'm sure there's been plenty of political wrangling behind the scenes, too. By all measures, Wu's achieved that now. You read the press release City Hall put out the other day, and it's all the king's horses and all the king's men getting behind this project now. It's no small thing to get a second chance for a big project like this.

I'm not saying that this shouldn't have happened 15 years ago (because it should have and would have been life-changing for thousands of people in a real way), but that's these are the shitty limitations of the system we have here.

Probably airing an unpopular opinion here given the vibe, but I can understand why it's taken so long for the city to do the right thing and give this project the official green light. The 28X proposal was like the Hindenberg (highly recommend SB Mass's piece on that for context). The political backlash was real with all the state and local electeds coming down on Governor Patrick and MassDOT. It's only natural that A) any public agency would need several years for things to cool off beyond trying again, and B) there would need to be strong political support before proceeding. To get that second part, any agency would need to do an act of contrition by the public process (which the city seems to have done). I'm sure there's been plenty of political wrangling behind the scenes, too. By all measures, Wu's achieved that now. You read the press release City Hall put out the other day, and it's all the king's horses and all the king's men getting behind this project now. It's no small thing to get a second chance for a big project like this.

I'm not saying that this shouldn't have happened 15 years ago (because it should have and would have been life-changing for thousands of people in a real way), but that's these are the shitty limitations of the system we have here.
A couple other things I think might be important related to this, that have changed:

- the climate toward BRT and bus lanes has shifted, at least somewhat.
- the original proposals for the Silver Line were put forth in a bullshit way, by 1) offering the SL as if it was “just as good” as more major, promised transit reforms (especially the axing of the Chinatown tunnel) and a generally cheesy branding (the old crappy Art Deco “Silverline” logos on the front of the buses that wasn’t even properly centered and had felt like it was the result of some corny liberal arts kid designing something out of transit-phile nostalgia for streetcar design in the 20s). It just had the feeling of the state totally bullshitting the people. It just had the feeling of the state pulling a massive switcheroo and acting like they weren’t. And it still is very bogus that Silver is listed as a legit line. However, now that we have a couple more bus lane lines, I think the attitude might be shifting where people realize that bus lanes can offer a significant improvement even as they might not be the same as a rapid transit line. Messaging is really important, if you tell people “you’re going to get a bus and like it because all the experts in the state are telling you it’s just as good as a subway”, versus “we’re going to do something innovative with your local transportation that is definitely going to improve times”, it’s a major distinction.

For those who haven't noticed, I've started my personal website and blog on transit:
https://teban54transit.com

Today, I decided to add a page named "Official Projects: Transit Priority and Bus Lanes". It is intended to be a collection of bus lanes and other transit priority projects that are underway, either in planning or construction.

I have added the following projects to the outline, even though I have not populated most of them with details yet. I intend to provide links to official project pages (MBTA or the cities), designs, etc.
  • Summer St (Seaport)
  • North Station to Seaport Multimodal Corridor
  • River St (Cambridge)
  • Rutherford Ave
  • Columbus Ave Phase 2
  • Blue Hill Ave
I'm sure I must have missed some upcoming projects, so please feel free to add more to the list! In the future, I may also include a list of existing bus lanes on the page.

For those who haven't noticed, I've started my personal website and blog on transit:
https://teban54transit.com

Today, I decided to add a page named "Official Projects: Transit Priority and Bus Lanes". It is intended to be a collection of bus lanes and other transit priority projects that are underway, either in planning or construction.

I have added the following projects to the outline, even though I have not populated most of them with details yet. I intend to provide links to official project pages (MBTA or the cities), designs, etc.
  • Summer St (Seaport)
  • North Station to Seaport Multimodal Corridor
  • River St (Cambridge)
  • Rutherford Ave
  • Columbus Ave Phase 2
  • Blue Hill Ave
I'm sure I must have missed some upcoming projects, so please feel free to add more to the list! In the future, I may also include a list of existing bus lanes on the page.
Nice, congrats. I like the green reconfig map a lot. I’d say a key idea that isnt mentioned as key ideas on that is the line to Harvard sq which would significantly alleviate downtown pressures; also, that the D-E connector + GL to Harvard Sq means there are light rail partial crosstown routes. Those seem “key” to me, since a lot of our collective GL visions are mere extensions, whereas the Harvard ext actually is more than that if you can go from Harvard to Kenmore and then transfer to get to Hyde Sq.

Glad you’re doing a site, will be cool to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Anyone know any details or can point me to plans for Seaver St extension of the Columbus Ave busway? I thought it was in the works but cant find anything concrete or in detail on the MBTA site or elsewhere. Is this just a vague future plan or is it in development?

Anyone know any details or can point me to plans for Seaver St extension of the Columbus Ave busway? I thought it was in the works but cant find anything concrete or in detail on the MBTA site or elsewhere. Is this just a vague future plan or is it in development?

The only extension that’s in development is in the other direction: to Ruggles.

There has been no concrete commitment to a Seaver St extension.

IMG_4750.jpeg

Love the busway extension to Second St.

Really like the dedicated busway on Lower Broadway and Alford St.

Yeah I’ve only just skimmed the Exec Summary, but I like what I see. That’s a lot of dedicated space for transit, and it sets up use for other circumferential services in the future.
It’s a shame they punted on the SL6 and alternatives beyond Sullivan. This seems like the bare minimum of the alternatives they were considering.

This would be an extension of the SL3, right? Not a new service that short-turns at Eastern Ave?

This would be an extension of the SL3, right? Not a new service that short-turns at Eastern Ave?
Yes, it's an extension. The completed project will result in an SL3 that runs from South Station to Sullivan Square via Seaport, East Boston, Chelsea, and Everett.

Love the busway extension to Second St.

Really like the dedicated busway on Lower Broadway and Alford St.
💯

But it's not clear to me what is meant by dedicated busway. It's a bit vague, but hopefully is at least a stronger segregation from traffic than what the side running lanes on Broadway provide.

It’s a shame they punted on the SL6 and alternatives beyond Sullivan. This seems like the bare minimum of the alternatives they were considering.
It sounds like their last public outreach of SL3x and SL6 seemed to indicate they are two separate projects, not either-or. This was evident in their assumption that for all SL6 alternatives (particularly those that do not go to Chelsea), Chelsea residents can still get to Kendall by transferring from SL3x to SL6. So I wouldn't take this as a sign that SL6 has been gutted.

Yes, it's an extension. The completed project will result in an SL3 that runs from South Station to Sullivan Square via Seaport, East Boston, Chelsea, and Everett.

💯

But it's not clear to me what is meant by dedicated busway. It's a bit vague, but hopefully is at least a stronger segregation from traffic than what the side running lanes on Broadway provide.
They talk about moving the bike lanes onto private property for a stretch of 99 to make room for a bus lane. I'm skeptical about the real caliber of busway that this whole segment will be able to provide. 99 is not that wide, and there is a ton of future development here, and the plan has the buses in mixed traffic through the rotary. Painted bus lanes that weave in and out of traffic at the rotary and the bridge does not seem like a recipe for success, if the same choke points remain unaddressed. But I guess we'll see.

Also, doesn't the drawbridge operate? I feel like I once was stuck waiting for it to lower while on a bike ride, but maybe hallucinated that memory.

Some more details in the StreetBlogMASS article:

The T would also build new dedicated busways on lower Broadway in Everett and on the Alford Street Bridge across the Mystic River into Boston (see map above).

Other segments of the route would run on more traditional curbside bus lanes, which already exist on Broadway in Everett. Two shorter segments would run in mixed traffic on narrow streets around Everett Square, with "transit priority" traffic signals that would be programmed to turn green when buses approach.
Hopefully we'll get real, effective transit signal priority this time! (Does that even exist anywhere else on the MBTA?)

As for existing curbside bus lanes at Everett Square, the bus lanes are currently only for rush hours in the peak direction. The detailed SLXAA report explicitly mentions they will be converted to full-time bus lanes, eliminating street parking:
In its current configuration,
Broadway has peak-hour bus lanes and
parking on both sides of the street . The LPA
would convert these peak-hour bus lanes to
become all-day bus lanes, which would remove
on-street parking between Chelsea Street and
Sweetser Circle crossing Route 16.

Back to the StreetBlogMASS article:
The report also predicts that serving the
extended SL3 route with buses that arrive every 10 minutes would require buying 4 more Silver Line buses for the MBTA's fleet.
The BNRD has 11-min headways for Frequent Bus Routes (FBRs) during middays, and 8-min during rush hours; it also lists SL3 with the same headways as any other FBR. However, the SLXAA report assumes SL3 has 10-min frequencies during peak. So it may also just be an approximation, or that the SLXAA team and the BNRD team were working independently.

According to a spokesperson, the MBTA has submitted a federal RAISE grant application to fund a $28 million street reconstruction that would create a dedicated transitway on lower Broadway in Everett.

Back