MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

Heck, even just hourly to Providence and every 1.5 hours to Worcester would be a big improvement and totally 100% warranted.

Replying to my own comment from a Sunday morning inbound Providence Line Commuter Rail train that has about 1,000 people on it by Attleboro, by my estimate.

Boston Calling, beautiful Memorial Say weekend day, Red Sox afternoon game, and the next train is two hours later.

It’s time for hourly weekend Providence Line service.

Replying to my own comment from a Sunday morning inbound Providence Line Commuter Rail train that has about 1,000 people on it by Attleboro, by my estimate.

Boston Calling, beautiful Memorial Say weekend day, Red Sox afternoon game, and the next train is two hours later.

It’s time for hourly weekend Providence Line service.

It's also time for weekend service on the Stoughton Line. Recently, I was looking to take the Commuter Rail from South Station to Stoughton on a Saturday afternoon to meet up with some friends at Town Spa Pizza in Stoughton. I completely forgot that Stoughton saw no weekend service, and I was shocked when I looked at the schedule and saw no trains stopping there.

It's also time for weekend service on the Stoughton Line. Recently, I was looking to take the Commuter Rail from South Station to Stoughton on a Saturday afternoon to meet up with some friends at Town Spa Pizza in Stoughton. I completely forgot that Stoughton saw no weekend service, and I was shocked when I looked at the schedule and saw no trains stopping there.

If I were god-emperor, the next schedule would have:
  • Hourly weekend Providence/Stoughton service, for approximately 18 round trips.
    • 13 round trips to Providence (compared to 10 today).
    • Five round trips to Stoughton (compared to zero today).

Replying to comments re the new commuter rail schedules here.

In general, I wonder if we are seeing the influence of Eng's tenure at the LIRR -- I feel like we are seeing more "creative scheduling" than the T has historically been willing to do, in a way that reminds me of LIRR/MNR schedules. This reinforces my theory that Eng has been saying things like "Why are we running trains past platforms at Readville and South Attleboro without stopping?" and "Yes, I know it'll be too difficult to get the first train of the day all the way out to Haverhill, but there's no reason we can't start that trip at Lawrence, is there?". All of which is encouraging to me, as it suggests a willingness (and the needed political clout) to shake the T out of its provincial "we've always done it like this"-ness.

Other random things I noticed

Notably, I think this may be the first time that Anderson/Woburn has been listed on an ordinary Haverhill Line schedule (it's been listed on a number of "recovery service" or "severe storm service" or bus diversion schedules).

Yes, I wonder if this is an "art of the possible" decision, perhaps due to trains being turned or staged at Readville Yard? Or are these accommodating freight moves in and out of the Yard? It's also interesting that this practice is also done on weekends -- the "creative scheduling" is mostly weekday-only otherwise.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I also think it may be a single set that consistently turns at Fairmount rather than Readville.

(Oh, looking below at the Franklin Line schedule, it looks like there is potentially some correlation between a Franklin train through-running and the previous/subsequent Fairmount train originating at Fairmount instead of Readville?)

This is maybe the most interesting thing about these new schedules. I wonder if this is being done as a "practice run" to test the viability of using a Readville Transfer more broadly. I'm sure Eng has been thinking about LIRR practices at Jamaica, so I wonder if he has theories he wants to test out.

The 4:23am one seems pretty gratuitous, and probably was just the easiest way to add a third inbound departure. It actually looks like there are four outbound departures though, departing Boston at 11:18am, 2:20pm, 3:52pm, and 5:40pm.

I'm still a little more optimistic than I think you are, though. Pre-pandemic, if we look at trains that arrive at South Station between 7am and 9am (i.e. the start of the whitecollar workday), there were five departures from S Attleboro:
  • 6:09am
  • 6:32am
  • [gap for a train that originated at Attleboro]
  • 7:23am
  • 7:39am
  • 8:00am
By my read of the 2018 passenger counts, 78% of South Attleboro's boardings came from trains that arrived in Boston before 9am. 62% came from those five trains listed above, with the 7:23am crushing the competition, 6:32am coming in a strong second, and the 6:09am pulling in a respective third place.

Pre-Pandemic DepartureBoardingsPost-Pandemic Equivalent
5:09 AM98
5:34 AM88
6:09 AM1236:11 AM
6:32 AM185
7:23 AM2517:21 AM
7:39 AM59
8:00 AM77

In other words, they are restoring two of the three most heavily utilized departures (which alone account for 33% of all boardings all day). If they manage to attract ~half of the riders from the 6:32am, that's 41% of South Attleboro's total all-day boardings... achieved with just two departures (which equals 10% of departures all day -- achieving 41% performance with 10% of the resources is a pretty good ROI).

South Attleboro historically was in the top 12 stations across the whole system; at 41% ridership, it would be comparable to Littleton/495, Wakefield, Canton Center, Roslindale Village, Newburyport, Lawrence, Waltham, and Greenbush. (33% puts us on par with Hanson, Lynn, Needham Junction, Whitman, and Cohasset.) Pretty much all of those are seen as successful stations.

Going outbound, the six highest ridership trains totaled 763 alightings at South Attleboro (70% of overall alightings). The trains departing BOS at 3:55pm and 5:40pm accounted for 273 (25%); adding the 4:53pm train in brings us to 423 (39%). (The spread of ridership on the afternoon departures is more evenly distributed, with the 4:53pm and 5:40pm leading the pack, but not as severely as the morning trains.)

Anecdotally, my experience was that if you were lucky and could leave work early-ish, you'd catch the 4:53, but if someone insisted in running the end-of-day meeting all the way to 5pm, you got stuck on the 5:40. So I'm guessing a fair fraction of the 4:53's ridership would consider the 5:40. So I'd SWAG it that the T's new afternoon departures will capture about 33% of the pre-pandemic ridership. Again, that's not amazing, but it's still solid and would put South Attleboro right in the middle of the pack systemwide.

So, I dunno. It's definitely an anemic schedule for sure, and the lack of flexibility will probably dissuade some riders. On the other hand, South Attleboro is in a lower farezone than Pawtucket/Central Falls, so perhaps that will in turn attract riders. Overall, though, getting between 33% and 41% performance out of 10% of resouces... that seems like a reasonable ROI to me.
Went by the S Attleboro station today on a Friday at about 9am. I counted just three cars in the commuter lot. The reopened station with a reduced schedule does not appear to be getting many riders.

Went by the S Attleboro station today on a Friday at about 9am. I counted just three cars in the commuter lot. The reopened station with a reduced schedule does not appear to be getting many riders.

TBF, Friday could be reduced to a weekend schedule and noone would notice.

Maybe this could be a thing, I don't know, but I don't think this is a good example. Pawtucket/Central Falls gets way more trains and is only ~10 minutes away, it's not surprising S. Attleboro isn't being used much. If I had to make one change though I would make it a flag stop.

Maybe this could be a thing, I don't know, but I don't think this is a good example.

Just mainly that even hybrid workers typically stay home on Fridays. So it's not going to be representative of the weekday ridership of the other 4 days.

This is completely false. Friday ridership is more than twice as high as weekend ridership on Providence/Stoughton according to the Blue Book portal's April 2024 counts.

EDIT: Fridays highlighted
1718482815600.png

Last edited:
I took the 7:00 AM train from North Station to Newburyport today and the conductors announced that they would be pulling into a siding somewhere north of Beverly for 10 minutes to let a southbound train pass. This is the second time on this train that I have heard this announcement. I get off at Salem so I didn't experience the delay itself, but it led me to some questions:
1. Does anyone know where a good track map of the Commuter Rail system can be obtained? Vanshnookenraggen published an excellent map of the T's rapid transit system that includes mainline rail, but only within the rapid transit service area.
2. Where on the system are there remaining segments of single-track that need to be double tracked if we move to a Regional Rail system (which I am defining as gradually ramping up frequency to achieve 30 minutes to terminals, 15 mins on core segments like North Station-Beverly, or the Fairmount Line.) I am assuming the line up to Newburyport would be a key candidate if it is already seeing delays like this one.
3. The Franklin Line double-tracking seems to have been pretty successful so far without the usual cost blowout seen with megaprojects. Where else is there low-hanging fruit like that? Obviously, the Old Colony bottleneck is a very tough fix and the Salem tunnel too, but are there significant segments of single-track that could be doubled with relatively few encumberments?
4. Pending those projects, it seems odd to schedule a mid-journey layover like I have heard the conductors announce on my Newburyport train. Are there any such other routine passing move delays around the Commuter Rail system?

Where on the system are there remaining segments of single-track that need to be double tracked if we move to a Regional Rail system (which I am defining as gradually ramping up frequency to achieve 30 minutes to terminals, 15 mins on core segments like North Station-Beverly, or the Fairmount Line.) I am assuming the line up to Newburyport would be a key candidate if it is already seeing delays like this one.

You may like reading Transit Matters' reports on the subject, they do line-by-line regional rail analyses. I think some of the users here consider their predictions for what's possible with relation to speeds and scheduling to be unrealistic, but they do a pretty good job of showing for example where they'd infill, where they'd put double track, etc.

1. Does anyone know where a good track map of the Commuter Rail system can be obtained? Vanshnookenraggen published an excellent map of the T's rapid transit system that includes mainline rail, but only within the rapid transit service area.
It's not specific to the MBTA, but https://www.openrailwaymap.org is an excellent resource. Zoom in anywhere and you can see what sections are single tracked, if that's what you're looking for.

Dave Perry's website has a copy of a 1993 diagram. Definitely a bit out of date in some places, but gives you a starting point.

I took the 7:00 AM train from North Station to Newburyport today and the conductors announced that they would be pulling into a siding somewhere north of Beverly for 10 minutes to let a southbound train pass. This is the second time on this train that I have heard this announcement. I get off at Salem so I didn't experience the delay itself, but it led me to some questions:
There was an excellently detailed CR track map atlas done in 2010 by some guy...it's like a 70-page PDF. I have an offline copy, but all online copies seem to have been scrubbed from the Internet.

2. Where on the system are there remaining segments of single-track that need to be double tracked if we move to a Regional Rail system (which I am defining as gradually ramping up frequency to achieve 30 minutes to terminals, 15 mins on core segments like North Station-Beverly, or the Fairmount Line.) I am assuming the line up to Newburyport would be a key candidate if it is already seeing delays like this one.
Newburyport has had additional infill double-track proposed ever since the 2004 North Shore Transit Improvements study. The single-track segments are definitely a constriction for adding any more frequencies.

3. The Franklin Line double-tracking seems to have been pretty successful so far without the usual cost blowout seen with megaprojects. Where else is there low-hanging fruit like that? Obviously, the Old Colony bottleneck is a very tough fix and the Salem tunnel too, but are there significant segments of single-track that could be doubled with relatively few encumberments?
Newburyport, pretty much. That's the next one after Franklin that has large segments of single on a formerly double-track roadbed where infilling would be cheap. The '04 study didn't propose doubling-up Hamilton/Wenham and Ipswich stations, but did throw down a couple more passing sidings around those stations.

The Old Colony branches are all provisioned for double-track, and indeed the Buzzards Bay Commuter Rail study earmarked lengthening a couple of the Middleboro Line DT segments to match up with the new train meets that would entail. But the branches are obviously secondary importance to the constricted mainline.
4. Pending those projects, it seems odd to schedule a mid-journey layover like I have heard the conductors announce on my Newburyport train. Are there any such other routine passing move delays around the Commuter Rail system?
It happens on many lines when there's a mis-timed meet due to a late train. The Needham Line in particular has many brittle rush-hour meets on its couple of passing sidings, though the short length of the line means the meets mostly work and aren't subject to too much scheduling chaos.

I'm sorry, but in my world, spending 3x national average on tracklaying is cost blowout!

I'm sorry, but in my world, spending 3x national average on tracklaying is cost blowout!
The national average of projects in comparable settings or not?

The "average" piece of railroad track for the nation is likely in a rural area with zero challenges for access, working space, quality of life concerns for abutters, wetlands, etc. It'll also likely see a lower volume of usage, and what usage it sees will frequently be less time-sensitive. And that's without considering the much lower labor costs in much of the country.

The commuter rail lines through the outer Boston suburbs may not typically be inner-city level of complexity/constraints, but they're still vastly more so than a track through the rural Midwest or something is generally going to be.

Not factoring that in seems like it'll lead to absurd and useless conclusions. Rebuilding a mile of elevated highway in Boston will probably cost 100x or more what reconstructing a mile of plain highway does through a cornfield in Iowa.

The "average" piece of railroad track for the nation is likely in a rural area with zero challenges for access, working space, quality of life concerns for abutters, wetlands, etc. It'll also likely see a lower volume of usage, and what usage it sees will frequently be less time-sensitive. And that's without considering the much lower labor costs in much of the country.

The commuter rail lines through the outer Boston suburbs may not typically be inner-city level of complexity/constraints, but they're still vastly more so than a track through the rural Midwest or something is generally going to be.

Not factoring that in seems like it'll lead to absurd and useless conclusions. Rebuilding a mile of elevated highway in Boston will probably cost 100x or more what reconstructing a mile of plain highway does through a cornfield in Iowa.
Franklin Line DT includes several new interlockings for crossovers, bridge rehab, roadbed rehab, retaining wall and embankment rehab, and drainage improvements in addition to the double-track. Phase III is also going to include a rebuild of Windsor Gardens station. There isn't a circulating project itemization online breaking out the cost into each of the punchlist buckets, but the whole thing is a bit more involved than just slapping down a second track.

Phase I Walpole Jct.-Norfolk Station finished under-budget and ahead-of-schedule.

There is always an excuse for the cost bloat associated with EVERY project that the T touches. Explain the nearly 10x differential between PVTAs newish bus garage and the smaller proposed Quincy yard.

Back