MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

Electrical infrastructure.

Because the Quincy garage is expected to charge busses overnight, during those hours it will draw about as much electricity as the entire town of Belmont.

Of course, if electric busses could charge their batteries en-route, from, say, low-voltage wires hung over the street, our bus garages wouldn't have to draw as much power and could be much cheaper to build.
Thats $3M+ per bus extra for infrastructure! Im sorry, but that bird wont fly!
And you don't have to tell me about IMC, I was lead author for TMs report on bus electrification. Most cities would kill to have the legacy infrastructure we are ignoring. Every other wired city is expanding use of IMC buses, while we're scrapping what we have.

The governor just came up with $5M for an engineering study for a Palmer train station. Holyoke built an entire station for the same money. We have gutted the project planning and management ability of MassDOT and we pay the price.

Of course, if electric busses could charge their batteries en-route, from, say, low-voltage wires hung over the street, our bus garages wouldn't have to draw as much power and could be much cheaper to build.
I like in-route charging and think it has merit, but uh - you're not going to charge a bus in any useful way from "low-voltage" wires unless they're very thick, very heavy, and very expensive. Volts x Amps = Watts is not really a negotiable formula.

Electrical infrastructure.

Because the Quincy garage is expected to charge busses overnight, during those hours it will draw about as much electricity as the entire town of Belmont.

So, nightly electric draw per bus is almost exactly the same as average household usage in MA. So, 125 buses would draw the same as 3+K households, if every bus operated every day and charged completely once a day.

So, nightly electric draw per bus is almost exactly the same as average household usage in MA. So, 125 buses would draw the same as 3+K households, if every bus operated every day and charged completely once a day.
I think it's worse than that - per the EIA, average household electricity use in the Northeast is 8200KWh / year. CARB estimates that a 40ft transit bus uses 10000KWh / month. That's a 15x difference, and in essence each bus consumes the power of 15 houses. Especially once you consider that a lot of this will be fast charge, yea. The power infrastructure will be hefty.
Assuming the T has bought the top of the line NFI battery buses, with a 520KWh capacity battery charging between 20-85 percent is ~340KWh. At ~1.5Kwh/mile, that's ~6700 miles a month, which is reasonable for a bus to do. If you use all of the capacity it's 15000kWh/month.

(Though your math has confused me - charging 125 buses with ~340KWh per night gives me 15GWh, which is equivalent to ~1700 homes, not 3k, unless you're talking about the instantaneous load in the night?)

Attachments

• 1000034202.jpg
    1000034202.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Some scattered thoughts:

The big winners on the Fitchburg Line are Littleton/495 and South Acton - unsurprisingly, the two stations with proven demand that got major upgrades (and, for Littleton, a frequency boost) - which drove almost all the line's increase. Impressively, this is at two stations that already had full parking lots every day - these increases are coming entirely from carpools, dropoffs, and walk/bike. The speed increases didn't help other stations much, and Wachusett is at just 130 riders a day (but growing - in February 2017 it was 45-75 daily). Brandeis lost a lot of reverse commute ridership - perhaps this count was in the summer.

Still cannot understand why MBTA hasn't made a STOP in the Walden Pond reservation! The trip rockets past the pond, you can see people swimming then goes about 2 miles down the line to the next stop. At Concord meaning by road you'd have to walk back about 4 miles.

Digital_Islandboy said:
I think it's worse than that - per the EIA, Still cannot understand why MBTA hasn't made a STOP in the Walden Pond reservation! The trip rockets past the pond, you can see people swimming then goes about 2 miles down the line to the next stop. At Concord meaning by road you'd have to walk back about 4 miles.
Err I think this is the only new part, but why? I get it might be nice as a flag stop so city folks have a nice easy ride to the reservation, but I struggle to see how it'd actually work on the T; I know there's a lot of rural flag stops in the UK but even those tend to be either truly kinda far from anywhere or at least serve a hamlet. Literally the only people who might get on/off here are folks visiting the pond and even then it's on the opposite side from the visitors center and beach. It'd probably have worse ridership than Silver Hill ever did. Also, Concord station isn't that far away; it's closer to 1.5 miles. Granted, the ped infrastructure on Walden St and the latter bit of Thoreau is non-existent, but improvements to that / a bike lane, combined with Concords existing municipal bikeshare program (and possibly expansion to that), is all you really need.

Last edited:
Err I think this is the only new part, but why? I get it might be nice as a flag stop so city folks have a nice easy ride to the reservation, but I struggle to see how it'd actually work on the T; I know there's a lot of rural flag stops in the UK but even those tend to be either truly kinda far from anywhere or at least serve a hamlet. Literally the only people who might get on/off here are folks visiting the pond and even then it's on the opposite side from the visitors center and beach. It'd probably have worse ridership than Silver Hill ever did. Also, Concord station isn't that far away; it's closer to 1.5 miles. Granted, the ped infrastructure on Walden St and the latter bit of Thoreau is non-existent, but improvements to that / a bike lane, combined with Concords existing municipal bikeshare program (and possibly expansion to that), is all you really need.
Metro-North has us beat.

Harlem Line, Appalacian Trail:
403px-Appalachian_Trail_train_station.jpg

Hudson Line, Breakneck Ridge:
640px-Breakneck_Ridge_train_station_2022.jpg

They needn't be big productions. They could throw down one of those freestanding 1-car mini-highs and see how it works.

Metro-North has us beat.

Harlem Line, Appalacian Trail:
403px-Appalachian_Trail_train_station.jpg

Hudson Line, Breakneck Ridge:
640px-Breakneck_Ridge_train_station_2022.jpg

They needn't be big productions. They could throw down one of those freestanding 1-car mini-highs and see how it works.
Fair enough; I did forget about those tiny stations on Metro- North. That said, MAAB would throw a fit at those, but all are at least proximate to a road. I acknowledge it's would be an amenity to have a stop in a recreational area, but I'm not convinced that Walden is where I'd put it, even one of those free standing mini-highs, simply because someone would have to build a hard surface accessible route to it. The pond path decidedly isn't.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I honestly see more opportunity for a low-ridership low-cost high recreational value flag stop somewhere along the longer distance lines; Mt Tom on the Valley Flyer, or Spencer State Forest on East West for example, but I'm not sure there are great options in the CR territory.

Last edited:
I think it's worse than that - per the EIA, average household electricity use in the Northeast is 8200KWh / year. CARB estimates that a 40ft transit bus uses 10000KWh / month. That's a 15x difference, and in essence each bus consumes the power of 15 houses. Especially once you consider that a lot of this will be fast charge, yea. The power infrastructure will be hefty.
Assuming the T has bought the top of the line NFI battery buses, with a 520KWh capacity battery charging between 20-85 percent is ~340KWh. At ~1.5Kwh/mile, that's ~6700 miles a month, which is reasonable for a bus to do. If you use all of the capacity it's 15000kWh/month.

(Though your math has confused me - charging 125 buses with ~340KWh per night gives me 15GWh, which is equivalent to ~1700 homes, not 3k, unless you're talking about the instantaneous load in the night?)
I was assuming one full capacity charge of high end battery packs(60ft buses) and charging inefficiency. Assuming that good battery longevity means never dropping below 20% and that some vehicles would not be used all day but that some may take more than one charge, it's tough to figure exactly what demand would be.
The key points are that IMC buses would be lighter as the would need a much smaller battery pack and that the demand would be more spread out throughout the system, and much of the present system for RT could be utilized. Add in that some of the legacy infrastructure is still extant from the trolley(bus) system, it would be a lot less expensive to build the needed transmission capacity. In addition, more of the demand would be during the day, when solar might provide it, but of course if we do make a major investment in wind and/or nuclear, nighttime may have more excess capacity.
Dayton doesn't even do overnight charging on their fleet of IMC buses and reused the old carbarn for the fleet.
The T is nuts for walking away from trolleybuses.

I like in-route charging and think it has merit, but uh - you're not going to charge a bus in any useful way from "low-voltage" wires unless they're very thick, very heavy, and very expensive. Volts x Amps = Watts is not really a negotiable formula.
Modern trolleybuses with small onboard batteries to run short distances off wire function fine on our existing 600v system. The efficiencies of modern motors allow for in-motion charging but the batteries can also charge when the vehicle is stopped and using minimal power.

Fair enough; I did forget about those tiny stations on Metro- North. That said, MAAB would throw a fit at those, but all are at least proximate to a road. I acknowledge it's would be an amenity to have a stop in a recreational area, but I'm not convinced that Walden is where I'd put it, even one of those free standing mini-highs, simply because someone would have to build a hard surface accessible route to it. The pond path decidedly isn't.
It would obviously be granted an exemption by the MAAB because the station wouldn't be egressing onto a previously accessible surface. Exemptions to the ADA and New York's accessibility regs were granted for both of the MNRR stops (Appalachian Trial was infilled post-ADA, and Breakneck Ridge was fully rebuilt a few years ago) because they were limited-service stops strictly catering to able-bodied recreation. There's no expectation that wheelchair users will be using the long-unpaved pond path, and the MAAB is rational enough to see that.

About the only thing they would have a quibble with is approving the recreation infill stop while so many regular-service Fitchburg Line stops are still lagging in non-accessibility. The prioritization would be thrown into question, which is a reasonable conclusion. But I don't think a weekender flag stop would be an objectionable approval once Fitchburg fares better on overall accessibility.

If you're building with two platforms to avoid trains switching tracks, it would also give access to the Adams Woods trail network. I feel like the value proposition would be pretty good. Just as long as passengers don't imitate Walden and walk down the tracks into Concord.

I think you mean Thoreau.

Would the DCR object to a Walden flag stop for crowding reasons? They already close the admissions during the day if there are lots of folks on the beach.

Modern trolleybuses with small onboard batteries to run short distances off wire function fine on our existing 600v system. The efficiencies of modern motors allow for in-motion charging but the batteries can also charge when the vehicle is stopped and using minimal power.
600V is fine enough, I agree.

"Low-voltage" as a commonly used term in the US in my experience, is usually referring to <50V, which usually has much less in terms of regulations in terms of how + where you can run it. (ex: The guy pulling network cables typically doesn't need to be a licensed electrician). If you/the prior poster meant 600V, I have no objections.

If you're building with two platforms to avoid trains switching tracks, it would also give access to the Adams Woods trail network. I feel like the value proposition would be pretty good. Just as long as passengers don't imitate Walden Thoreau and walk down the tracks into Concord.
I love the idea of a Walden Pond stop too, but the idea of a pedestrian grade crossing to access the farside track seems dicey. MNRR's Appalachian Trail station is single tracked, and it looks like Breakneck Ridge has a pedestrian overpass (along with measures to dissuade pedestrians). The tracks at Walden at on an embankment, so perhaps an underpass could be constructed, but that significantly increases the scope of the project.

The alternative, like you said, would be to wrong-rail southbound trains so they can serve a single side platform; you'd have to wrong-rail from Concord to Hastings, but if this is a weekend-only service that might not be the end of the world.
Would the DCR object to a Walden flag stop for crowding reasons? They already close the admissions during the day if there are lots of folks on the beach.
This is where I think there would be more of an issue. It's not actually that large of a park. I suppose they could just be that much more assertive about closing things early, even with a larger fraction of passengers arriving by train.

On the other hand, the tracks are actually maximally distant from the beach itself. So, if crowding is of biggest concern at the beach, perhaps the stop wouldn't contribute to it as much. (Along with the beach, all of the other facilities, including changing rooms and bathrooms, are on the other side of the pond. A flag stop would probably be more compelling to "nature walkers" rather than "beachgoers".)

Either way, I'll probably start adding it to my crayon maps, if only for fun!

DCR will never, ever go for a CR stop at Walden Pond. The place has serious erosion problems from overuse as it is, and because the stop would be on the other side of the pond from the beach, a CR stop would make the problem much worse.

I used to be an interpretive ranger there (and other DCR -née Department of Environmental Management- parks in late 90s and early 00s) and there was talk about putting in a small stop to accommodate a handful of trains (they would have limited the number of tickets sold per day and added a "Walden surcharge" to board or disembark at Walden) in exchange for a reduction in parking. Around the same time there was a proposal to reroute Route 126 around the backside of the parking lot, between the lot and Goose Pond, and through the trailer park (which was on Reservation property), rejoining Route 126 near the town dump entrance, but neither proposal apparently went anywhere. The park supervisor at the time was very much in favor of this, along with building a (sorely needed) new VC, which they eventually got, but apparently the then-DEM commissioner was lukewarm to it.

Back