MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

I was just wondering about this on the Fairmount Line. I don't ride that often, but you're supposed to be able to use a CharlieCard and I've never once seen one of those validation machines working. I rode the other day and told the conductor the validation machine was broken. He said "Yeah," walked away, and I never saw him again.

Is that still supposed to work? Or they gave up on that integration? Or just no one cares about the Fairmount Line?

I was just wondering about this on the Fairmount Line. I don't ride that often, but you're supposed to be able to use a CharlieCard and I've never once seen one of those validation machines working. I rode the other day and told the conductor the validation machine was broken. He said "Yeah," walked away, and I never saw him again.

Is that still supposed to work? Or they gave up on that integration? Or just no one cares about the Fairmount Line?
Not collecting fares on Fairmount when the validators are broken is reasonable. How many people are riding this line that aren't connecting to another service and don't have a pass?
On inbound trips, in theory you're supposed to be able to show the receipt from paying on board to an Ambassador to gain free entrance to rapid transit but they don't understand the nuance of the fare policies in the first place. Even more insane is expecting someone starting on the Fairmount line to explain to a bus driver why they don't have to pay (especially say Fellsway or Lynn). How are you supposed to pay the difference in fare to board a 50x bus downtown?
On outbound trips the conductors can't read CharlieCards or tapped credit cards to see who has already paid. The validators can't even read tapped credit cards in the first place.
I really hope there is finally a push to a unified fare structure because the current system is totally nuts.

validator.jpg

Last edited:

Back