MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

Although I'm not sure what's up with the front car in that render, which looks like an HSR power car and not a passenger carriage.
My understanding, that render is actually from the MBTAs multimode locomotive RFI, which also explains the Siemens Charger.

The bottom one is a Stadler KISS, same one Caltrain ordered. Note the high-and-low boarding doors, which was the Caltrain customization. Although I'm not sure what's up with the front car in that render, which looks like an HSR power car and not a passenger carriage. The Caltrain KISSes board passengers in all cars of the consist.

Caltrain-electrification.jpg

Their BEMU pilot is a 4-car set. But egad...the price. $80M for 4 cars. It's estimated that they need eventually need 6 sets of them to cover the entirety of Gilroy service, which would cost them nearly a half-billion dollars at the going rate for the BEMU variant.

F-Line, they've been contemplating that style for some time now. As with the double-floor coaches, I think there are stairs at the end to allow the passengers to reach the second floor. :)

Last edited:
The MBTA is thinking about THESE again for their commuter rail lines. Electric locos. :)
View attachment 53063
I think this exact image was used on the local news last night. My husband, who has absolutely zero interest in public transportation, said "Look, the T is getting electric trains." I said, well not exactly........but then we paused and saw these images. I think the average person has NO IDEA what the difference between battery electric and overhead wire. It's all electric to most people, and they don't understand the details. :)

I think this exact image was used on the local news last night. My husband, who has absolutely zero interest in public transportation, said "Look, the T is getting electric trains." I said, well not exactly........but then we paused and saw these images. I think the average person has NO IDEA what the difference between battery electric and overhead wire. It's all electric to most people, and they don't understand the details. :)
To be fair to the laymen, that image is what the MBTA itself used in announcing the award.

Back