MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Maintaining those subway station tiles is much harder than papering them over. The few tiled stations that have been renovated with new tiles in New York have cost well beyond the MTA's budget for them and are generally funded by nearby private entities.

For reference the Arlington tile wasn't covered until 1968. From 1912-1968 the original tile somehow was able to not be severely damaged, and following the removal of the modernized tile, it is still in relatively serviceable condition.

Can you really expect any of the new, fragile, and expensive glass tile at Kenmore to last 56 years before being replaced?

The tile I wish was uncovered at Kenmore is across the tracks on the outer walls, which would never be touched by the public, yet would be quite visually appealing to those waiting on the platforms.

I also wonder why the awful brick flooring and walls has been left in short sections between the new stairs and mezzanine.

Obviously flooring is not something the contractors have a lot of skill in. See the photographs on the last page, or take a look at the already-crumbling lobby floor yourself.

I also wonder why the awful brick flooring and walls has been left in short sections between the new stairs and mezzanine.

Ive been wondering that too. I have a feeling as soon as everything else is done, theyll decide that those few yards need to be redone to fit, and well get another year of construction.

Do they really need escalators at Kenmore? They're just going to break down and be less than useless, not to mention probably have to be turned off for Red Sox games.
Escalators never break down, they just become stairs.

A couple more Kenmore pics:

img4478bq3.jpg

img4479qa7.jpg

^ Did you catch the frosted glass on the sides of the escalators? Wonder how long that stuff will stay in an unbroken state.

In related news, has the eastbound Copley headhouse been removed from the site for restoration? I worry about what might happen to it; we don't need a repeat of the Longfellow Bridge fiasco.

^ Did you catch the frosted glass on the sides of the escalators? Wonder how long that stuff will stay in an unbroken state.

In related news, has the eastbound Copley headhouse been removed from the site for restoration? I worry about what might happen to it; we don't need a repeat of the Longfellow Bridge fiasco.

The Copley headhouse was removed in October-ish. No idea where's it's at now (the MBTA built a plywood structure within the steel that supported the ironworks) but restoration was the original plan.

Color me suspicious.

Old South's cracked east wall:

img4536co6.jpg

img4535xi8.jpg

If they had bothered to start working on Copley when it was closed two years ago then this problem would have been solved by now.

Boston Metro - January 12, 2009
GM: Better done right than done on schedule
Construction on major MBTA stations will continue at least until spring

More than a dozen MBTA stations on the Green, Red and Blue lines are scheduled to see significant rehabilitation work completed this year.

But along the way, riders have grown frustrated navigating around construction, debris and temporary barriers as completion dates keep getting pushed back.

Last week, Metro tagged along with MBTA General Manager Dan Grabauskas as he toured Arlington, Kenmore and Ashmont stations to get progress reports from project managers onsite.

At Arlington, the new mezzanine floor is done after workers tore up the old one, which was built in 1913 and was found to be heavily corroded. At Kenmore, workers were building a brick elevator shaft at the new busway, and at Ashmont, the new roof is three-fourths complete, with new lobbies and platforms slated for below.

Though the end result will yield state-of-the-art equipment, some Green Line stations are still without elevators, while the temporary one at Ashmont must be manned by T officials when in use. In letters to Metro, T riders have called the Green Line construction ?interminable? and complained about safety issues related to the projects.

Another rider even complained that building the new Yankee Stadium will eventually take less time to complete.

When asked to respond to riders? frustrations, Grabauskas expressed regret for delays, but he asserted that doing the work properly outweighs ?keeping a schedule? set several years ago.

?We just try to be as honest with people as we can,? he said.

Under construction ... still
MBTA station projects are over budget and behind schedule, but look to be finished soon

Arlington/Copley Stations

* Modifications: Arlington ? new mezzanine, elevators, escalators, lighting, cameras and communication system, raised platforms; new entrance on Boylston Street will have stairwell and elevator at street level.
* Construction costs: Originally estimated at $32 million, now pegged at $46 million
* Time line: The Arlington Street entrance to the station is scheduled to reopen in May with new elevators. The major Copley improvements are expected to be done by December.
* ?The mezzanine became structurally unsound.? Project Manager George Shanks

Kenmore Station

* Modifications: Busway is 95 percent complete, including the glass canopy, with finishing sidewalks, elevators? headhouses and benches still remaining. Underground, new elevators must still be installed, and station will also have raised platforms, stairwells, communications systems and a refurbished mezzanine.
* Construction costs: Originally estimated at $23 million, now pegged at $32 million
* Timetable: Most of the busway?s improvements should be done in the next couple of months, while the new elevators should be installed by July.
* ?After The Station [nightclub] fire in 2003, we added emergency exit stairwells on the inbound and outbound side.? Project Manager Joseph Connor

Ashmont Station

* Work: The project is split into two phases. In all, work includes new lobbies, platforms, elevators, fare gates, bus turnaround, tile floors, ceiling and glass curtain walls to shield the station from neighboring homes.
* Construction costs: Phase I originally estimated at $35.2 million, but after some work ($4.9 million) transferred from Phase II and unforeseen repairs, updates and miscellaneous items ($7.8 million), Phase I now stands at $48 million budget.
* Timetable: The majority of Phase I will be completed by the summer and will likely overlap with the start of Phase II.
* ?It was falling apart a little bit.? Project Manager Scott Kelley, on why the project was changed to replace the entire platforms rather than just a section of them

Greg St. Martin

That bus shelter is ignominious.

Honestly, sometimes Boston can be so..o..o crummy!

IMG_7642.jpg

IMG_7643.jpg

New heated bus shelters.

This one sits in a place nobody stops
IMG_7646.jpg

How did half the carcass of a whale get so far inland?

(If this has already been said, I apologize. Cannot read everything on here after two and a half years gone.)

Is this part of the Ts updated security measures? :rolleyes:

A badly imagined CONTROL secret entry passage, perhaps?

Oh, I went through one of these at SFO recently! Blasted with air all over, then left standing inside for a minute, arms crossed, tapping one foot, scowling at the lame-brained security personnel vacantly staring back at me, while other travelers whizzed by, smirking and sniggering at the grumpy man on display front-and-center in the booth, waiting impatiently for the green light to appear and the automatic doors to open that would allow a less than dignified escape.

jass said:
New heated bus shelters.

This one sits in a place nobody stops
IMG_7646.jpg

The T is so thoughtful giving us a way to re-warm your fast food while you wait for the magic bus.

Ignominious!
I love this word. :)

You're seeing the reflection of the security fence over the entrance to the escalator. ;)

I waited in one of those things... I can empathize with french fries now

Those heating lamps are part of the Tylenol Cold ad campaign, not provided by the T and most likely not permanent.

Those heating lamps are part of the Tylenol Cold ad campaign, not provided by the T and most likely not permanent.

Shucks, and I thought the neon pink lights at the bus stops with the Virgin America Ads were going to become a permanent fixture.

The question is....did Tylenol frame their ads around the new installation, or are the installation temporary and part of the ads?

IMG_7683.jpg

Back