MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Bumpy ride almost over

By Yvonne Abraham, Globe Columnist | March 18, 2009

Could it really be?

Over at Kenmore Square, it looks an awful lot like the MBTA's renovation project - an epic undertaking that dragged on so long it seemed like the city would be submerged by rising seas before its completion - is near an end.

Last summer, Charlie O'Reilly, the MBTA's design and construction manager, promised the place would be "substantially complete" by April, and end up costing $47.3 million. I was skeptical of those claims. After all, the T, which initially promised to complete the renovation by the end of 2006, had blown umpteen deadlines by then. And the cost of the project had ballooned by the millions.

But head over to Kenmore, and it seems like O'Reilly's people will make good on his promise schedule-wise, if not budget-wise (the price tag has jumped yet again, to $47.7 million, but what's an extra 400 grand between friends).

The dramatic, giant-arched bus canopy at the center of the square is fully glassed-up. Commuters can now get from there to the train station without risk of impaling themselves on construction materials. In the station, handsome steel-and-glass enclosures surround stairs to the platforms. Above ground, paved walkways guide bus riders safely out of the terminal and onto the streets.

All of the traffic lanes heading into the square are open, and cars move smoothly, even on a busy Monday afternoon. The sidewalks - and the intersection of Commonwealth, Beacon, and Brookline - are paved in handsome brick. Trees and grassy islands have appeared.

Kenmore is still rough around the edges. The ground is dug up in places. The spot where an elevator will carry people from the bus stop to the subway station is still a hole (the elevator is due to arrive next month). Frowsy old bus shelters squat beneath the flashy new one. Awkward signs, some of them handwritten, direct commuters to the B Line or beg their pardon for the inconvenience.

But at least now the end is in sight, and a good end it is.

That got me feeling all hopeful, so I headed down to another interminable renovation project - the one at the Arlington T stop, underway for more than three years. Here, too, it seems that the MBTA is finally close. A gleaming new ramp, glass elevator shaft, and stairway sit on Boylston Street. A large, soon-to-be landscaped garden runs beside them.

Underground, the station still looks a bit like a bomb hit: Stripped walls on the half-closed platforms await new tiles. Naked bulbs hang from the ceiling. But O'Reilly says it won't be that way for long: The old Arlington Street entrances to the station will reopen in mid-May, he says.

"We're ramping things up," trumpets a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority banner that hangs on the station walls, promising to deliver the new Arlington stop by spring.

Commuters maddened by the delays aren't buying it so far. One of them changed the '09 completion date on the banner to 2019.

You can understand their doubts. Day after day for years they have negotiated the morass that is their T stops.

O'Reilly and T spokesman Joe Pesaturo say both projects were delayed by factors beyond their control: Lawsuits from neighbors, the hazards of excavating in an old city, utility lines nobody knew were there at Kenmore, and structural problems with Arlington's mezzanine level that revealed themselves only after work began. "They don't run into these problems when they're building a transit station in Phoenix," Pesaturo said yesterday.

Maybe. But they knew it was an old city when they started digging. And the renovations at Kenmore, Arlington, and Copley - that last project partly frozen since a giant crack appeared in the historic Old South Church - have worn commuters' already-withered patience.

It's finally clear that we're about to get some beautiful, handicapped accessible T stops. The hope here is that the MBTA hasn't sacrificed too much public trust in the process.

Yvonne Abraham is a Globe columnist. Her e-mail address is abraham@globe.com
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/18/bumpy_ride_almost_over/

Lawsuits from neighbors, the hazards of excavating in an old city, utility lines nobody knew were there at Kenmore, and structural problems with Arlington's mezzanine level that revealed themselves only after work began

Which one of these doesn't belong with the others?

Hint: it wasn't a preexisting condition...

couldn't find the thread for this? another drive by today
012-7.jpg

Ready for its close-up!

copley-300x225.jpg

Yeah what's the story with the old headhouse? I was shocked to see it taken down when I was there last. Did they just take it down to protect and restore it?

Yeah what's the story with the old headhouse? I was shocked to see it taken down when I was there last. Did they just take it down to protect and restore it?

The MBTA claims to have dismantled it for "restoration."

Anyone like to make a wager ...

Wager?

$5 on getting a repeat of the scrapyard story within 6 months

The MBTA website does have the headhouse in the final plans. I can't imagine any reason to get rid of it.

The restoration of the Arborway trolley was one of the T's "final plans", too. It was even court-ordered as mitigation for the Big Dig. So much for that.

Final Plan = Final Solution..?

The MBTA website does have the headhouse in the final plans. I can't imagine any reason to get rid of it.

It can be sold for scrap, if it hasn't already been melted down.

Why wasn't it landmarked? Losing this would be a bigger tragedy than SC&L.

This should become a cause celebre.

But first we need to find out what they're actually doing.

Holy crap. I saw the "new" platforms open at Copley this morning.

And by "new," they poured a high concrete floor, added lots of wires and moved the height of the wall-mounted benches up 3.5". Everything else is "preserved" as it was when it closed in 2006---grafitti and all. This for $21M budget (bets it'll be $45M by completion?)

See for yourself, I can't even describe it. Outraged.

Sounds exactly like what they did at Arlington.

Close one side for 1 year +. Open with slightly higher floor, but no other changes. Other side gets closed for 1 year +. When other side reopens, it also has a slightly higher floor but no other changes. Original side closes for 1 year + and gets full remake (tiles and such).

Last edited:

Sounds exactly like what they did at Copley.

Close one side for 1 year +. Open with slightly higher floor, but no other changes. Other side gets closed for 1 year +. When other side reopens, it also has a slightly higher floor but no other changes. Original side closes for 1 year + and gets full remake (tiles and such).

Is there a way to get the actual costs and who was paid what for this work? Can the state audit a project like this or is the MBTA miraculously protected under a special law? I'm outraged!

So let me guess, the columns on the West end of the outbound track are still held together with glue? Ahahahahahahaa.

More likely out of habit, rather than law of physics or material integrity.

Back