MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Still big, and still easy to read. Also covers the entire line (the old one only went as far out as Orient Heights).

My understanding is that they are piloting the real time arrival info on commuter rail because it involves fewer stations, less complexity, etc. However the plan is to also implement it on the subway.

As far as where it is more useful, I think an argument can be made that it is more useful on commuter rail. If you are waiting for a train at Park Street, you may consider it frustrating when the wait carries into the 10 to 20 minute time range, but you can generally assume there is still a train coming. Compare that to waiting at Roslindale Village for a train that is late. Is it a minute away? Is it 20 minutes away? That's a big difference and knowing which is the case will inform your decision regarding wating verses taking a bus to Forest Hills. That said, we need it everywhere, and also on my phone would be nice.

New Copley Square outbound headhouse:

4359921135_b991e5167c_b.jpg

4360658530_abaa9988d8_b.jpg

4359919651_3cf8d5b40e_b.jpg

4359922777_7a131cec1e_b.jpg

No, it's not Foster, but the new Copley headhouse is somewhat handsome, if a bit narrow-looking.

Clearly it's much too narrow. Oh well, we can try again in 100 years.

(It's nicer than the old one)

I really like the new headhouses. I got a good look last time I was up. Handsome and modern. I also like the uniformity, something the T is not known for.

I love it. Definitely one of the most handsome headhouses in the city. Very strong identity for the T, and some how, it matches up with the T logo.

Van, what are you talking about with uniformity? The T headhouses have never struck me as having a consistent design strain.

Van, what are you talking about with uniformity? The T headhouses have never struck me as having a consistent design strain.

Read my sentence again, that is exactly what I meant.

IMG00046-20100219-0814.jpg

IMG00047-20100219-0814.jpg

Looks like the other outbound entrance at Copley is finally sprouting up.

Let's see if the elevators appear this decade. The inbound one has been in a state of suspended construction for four years. I know they had to relocate a sewer line, but damn...

these new headhouses are so much better than the old ones. i like their simplicity and that they have little visual impact in a part of the city that already has such striking architecture. They are detailed enough to be visually interesting but so much as to take away from the surrounding buildings.

Will they return that gorgeous Beaux-Arts headhouse to the side of the Public Library?

(Or will they find it doesn't meet acessibility standards?)

They lost most of Penn Station somewhere in the Jersey Meadows.

(Lost Jimmy Hoffa too.)

Toronto has an architectural graveyard of its demolished 19th century buildings romantically strewn along a bluff...if Boston insists on "losing" its, it would be nice to at least have this much.

Put the pieces on the Greenway, maybe. Why not?

Back