MBTA Construction Projects

Re: Red Line Construction

About time...

http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_events/?id=19463&month=&year=

Patrick-Murray Administration Announce Accessibility Improvements To Science Park/West End Station
TWO ELEVATORS FROM THE STREET TO VIADUCT

BOSTON - Thursday, May 27, 2010 - Continuing the Patrick-Murray Administration's commitment to providing accessible transportation service to all residents of the Commonwealth, MBTA General Manager Rich Davey joined local officials and members of the West End community at the Science Park/West End Station to announce a $22 million investment for accessibility improvements to the station. The project includes the construction of two elevators that will provide access from a new street level lobby to the train platforms at the top of the viaduct.

"Our singular focus in the reform of the Commonwealth's transportation system is to renew our commitment to customer service and improving access for all," said Governor Deval Patrick.

"It's our job to make sure that each and every one of our customers has safe access to our transportation system. We aim to make the traveling experience safe, easy and more efficient for all Massachusetts residents," said MassDOT Secretary and CEO Jeffrey Mullan.

Excited to officially announce accessibility improvements to Science Park station, MBTA General Manager Rich Davey remarked, "With the support of the Patrick/Murray Administration we are on the road to ensuring all persons have access to public transportation. This project is testament to the Administration's commitment to improving the quality of life for all individuals who take public transportation."

Built in 1954 with minimal renovations over the years, rehabilitation to Science Park will include brand new at-grade automated fare collection (AFC) lobbies, new elevated platforms with canopy roof, new elevators, and stairs. Additional work includes upgrades to signage, installation of fire protection and alarm systems, and a generator for emergency power to the station.

FTA believes transit provides critical "lifeline" services that connect all members of the community with employment, health, educational, and other important opportunities and services,? said FTA Region I Civil Rights officer Margaret Griffin. ?Providing accessibility to Science Park Station will provide a new transit option for people with disabilities as well as improving the station for all riders making the community more livable for everyone.?

?This is a great day for the West End Community,? said City of Boston Transportation Commissioner Thomas Tinlin. ?Access to Science Park station will soon be a reality providing people with disabilities an enhanced sense of independence. The quality of life for members of the community will improve dramatically,? added Tinlin.

"The improvements to the Science Park/West End Station will be a welcomed addition to the area. This investment will finally allow for equal accessibility for all MBTA riders and bring the station up to ADA standards," said Senator Anthony Petruccelli.

"The residents of the West End have waited a long time for a T station that all people can use," said Representative Marty Walz whose district includes the West End. "I am delighted that once the station is complete, those with limited mobility, families with strollers, and those people who struggle with stairs will no longer have to walk to North Station to take the T."

"I commend the MBTA and the Governor's administration for their diligence in working with the community towards making this station fully accessible and safe to the disabled and elderly residents of the West End," said Boston City Council President Michael Ross.

Slated for completion in spring 2012, renovations to Science Park will make the station user-friendly, and enhanced lighting and additional surveillance cameras will increase the station's comfort and safety levels. Science Park station serves approximately 2,100 daily customers.

22 million for 2,100 daily customers? I'm surprised the T didn't try to shut it down. Must be some well connected people living in Charles River Park.

Re: T construction news

Some pics from the Ts website:

IB-elevator-photoedit5.jpg

014-CS-1.jpg

014-CS-2.jpg

And in the mean time, the necessary improvements to Orient Heights have been on the books since 1990.

About time.

Will they also make it one fare zone? No, of course not.

I don't understand what you mean by "one fare zone". All MBTA Green Line trips cost the same fare, $1.70 with a CharlieCard or $2 with a CharlieTicket.

I don't understand what you mean by "one fare zone". All MBTA Green Line trips cost the same fare, $1.70 with a CharlieCard or $2 with a CharlieTicket.

I think he means a fare controlled area....which is is. In the token era, you payed on board, but the station has a charlie gate or two,

Last time I looked, there was a single Charlie gate on the inbound stair and another single gate on the outbound stair. It would make sense to reconfigure the lobby so that both sides shared a set of gates.

You can't walk from one side to the other with out paying again.

There is another closed and long derelict entrance underneath the viaduct which could be changed into a dedicated mezzanine level for transferring inbound to outbound. That of course would be outside the current scope of work.

$22,000,000.00 seems a bit overpriced for what little construction will actually be taking place. Honestly, what's with the alucobond reskin of the platform? And the elevator assemblies from the elevated at North Station could have been easily dismantled and reused at this station at great savings.

I'm not sure what the old North Station elevators were like but I read in one of the MBTA's planning documents that they require glass elevators for all new construction. The reasons being security and visibility.

I'm not sure what the old North Station elevators were like but I read in one of the MBTA's planning documents that they require glass elevators for all new construction. The reasons being security and visibility.

Yeah, apparently it's harder to pee and do drugs in an elevator with windows.

There will be more customers once the Green Line is extended to Somerville and Medford. Still, why build elevators here before putting them in Hynes?

The MBTA is banking on development of the adjacent parcels, and subsequent blackmailing of said developer, to develop a compliant entrance at the easterly, once a year Boylston St. entrance. I've seen the prints of the Transportation/Gehry building. There's no cost-effective way to do it within the footprint the MBTA controls.

Posted here as well.

Meeting Date June 3, 2010
Meeting Time 6:30 PM ? 8:00 PM
Subject of Meeting Community Meeting: Design Of Orient Heights Station
Location Orient Heights Yacht Club; 41 Bayswater Street; East Boston, MA
MBTA Attendees Design and Construction

MBTA project team will present the updated design for the construction of Orient Heights Station to the East Boston community and Orient Heights commuters.

If assistive listening devices and/or interpreters are needed for hearing, please call 711 Massachusetts Relay Service and request 617-222-3752.
For more information, please call (617) 222-6757.

Finally! This is the one station that was ignored when the rest of the line was recently rebuilt.

Ignored is a good word, Ron.

The upgrade of this facility was promised in 1989. The T chose to build Greenbush and the Silver Line, and leave us to twist in the wind.

I've been to all of the meetings in the past two years; the sketches I've seen are value-engineered rubbish. The design fails to address the difficulties of pedestrian and auto interaction at the intersections of Saratoga Street and Barnes Avenue.

I'll try to post pictures.

Back