MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Does anyone else think Copley looks like crap? They did a nice job with the entrances, but the actual platform area looks bland and pretty crummy. Arlington on the other hand came out great and looks good.
With Copley, it's one of those "Wow...it took them seven years to do that?" type of deals

Does anyone else think Copley looks like crap? They did a nice job with the entrances, but the actual platform area looks bland and pretty crummy. Arlington on the other hand came out great and looks good.

Arlington looks fantastic.

Copley looks like it's in need of a remodel.

It ran so over-budget and had so many structural problems with the church upstairs that they threw in the towel on cosmetic niceties for sake of finishing it. Disappointing, but whatever. It's a subway platform; that's all it needs to be.

I wish they would've at least looked at the possibility of an underpass connecting the platforms. It's a heavy-use enough station for that, and would save the need for going to Arlington to switch from an inbound B/C/D to an outbound E. That's a real P.I.T.A. at rush hour when the narrow Arlington platform's packed to the gills.

A Park Street style crosswalk across the tracks with a pedestrian signal and a British style track swing gate could fix the problem very cheaply.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how practical given that all four lines run through here. Unlike at Park Street, pedestrians would have to cross both tracks, and they obviously can't wait between them.

A mezzanine with a people mover connected to Back Bay Station would be best but I'm sure with all the land fill in the area that the costs would outweigh the benefits.

I doubt there is room for a 'mezzanine' level between the street and the platforms at this station.

A mezzanine with a people mover connected to Back Bay Station would be best but I'm sure with all the land fill in the area that the costs would outweigh the benefits.

A trav-o-lator would be awesome for the Winter St concourse at Park St/DTX too.

A trav-o-lator would be awesome for the Winter St concourse at Park St/DTX too.

It would be but I think the existing grade is too steep (I could be wrong). I'm kind of surprised the T hasn't tried to do something with that passage, like expanding it into an underground mall type thing. Or at least adding a couple more entrances. Perhaps it wouldn't be fiscally possible until DTX is redeveloped... whenever that is.

It used to be twice as wide. I don't know what the T does with all the temporary-looking structure on the right (south) side of the concourse.

I also recall there used to be more businesses -- even a bank branch -- on the other concourse, from Washington Street to Hawley Street.

It used to be twice as wide. I don't know what the T does with all the temporary-looking structure on the right (south) side of the concourse.

I also recall there used to be more businesses -- even a bank branch -- on the other concourse, from Washington Street to Hawley Street.

It's offices (must be some low men on the totem pole) and custodian storage. Fairly often I'll see one of the contracted janitors getting a mop out of one of the rooms closest to DTX.

Would be nice if they'd open it up a bit more, and I wish they'd open up the one on the east end but it's very tight with utilities which I'm not sure can be easily opened up to reasonable dimensions. I assume it still stretches all the way to where I-93 shaved it, so they could easily have some headhouses reaching into the Financial District better.

I'd like to say the Winter St Concourse was incredibly awesome today when I found the Red Line southbound at DTX to be a SOLID WALL. We ran up the concourse to Park which was crowded on the concourse end but completely clear on the MGH end where we were even able to get empty seats. The seriously need better crowd management for St Pats.

It would be but I think the existing grade is too steep (I could be wrong). I'm kind of surprised the T hasn't tried to do something with that passage, like expanding it into an underground mall type thing. Or at least adding a couple more entrances. Perhaps it wouldn't be fiscally possible until DTX is redeveloped... whenever that is.

The maximum grade for a KONE Autowalk (MassDOT has a contract with KONE) is 6 degrees. If they went with Schindler, the max grade for a Schindler 9500 Inclined Moving Walk is 12 degrees. An Otis Trav-O-Lator can push 20 degrees easily.

The grade would not be an issue.

2yw6zkl.jpg

State.

Apparently tile work is why they feel the need to close down the BL every weekend? This project is just CRAWLING along.

Was* crawling. I'm amazed that they actually stepped it up the past two months. 2 months ago I would have said it would be a few more years. But honestly it's looking like this summer (assuming their current pace doesn't slip up).

Was* crawling. I'm amazed that they actually stepped it up the past two months. 2 months ago I would have said it would be a few more years. But honestly it's looking like this summer (assuming their current pace doesn't slip up).

That's very true. I use State pretty frequently. The months have all blended together. It seemed like endless nothingness for the longest time. The elevator on Congress is coming along very nicely (in 60 State St) though. They are also covering up the concrete columns with your typ. square stainless steel architectural columns.

Did the MBTA ever release a rendering for the interior? IIRC, it's not on the website.

The maximum grade for a KONE Autowalk (MassDOT has a contract with KONE) is 6 degrees. If they went with Schindler, the max grade for a Schindler 9500 Inclined Moving Walk is 12 degrees. An Otis Trav-O-Lator can push 20 degrees easily.

The grade would not be an issue.

Just a thought, of course they don't plan on doing this, but I think if they were, it wouldn't be worth while with all the monetary issues and we people been walking it a long time without issue. Adding it probably won't help that much while the country already got enough obesity problems.

Looks like some work is being done at the Target in South Bay, on the side closets to the Expressway. Does this have anything to do with the station work?

Looks like some work is being done at the Target in South Bay, on the side closets to the Expressway. Does this have anything to do with the station work?

Huh? That Target is currently being renovated/upgraded.

Back