MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

5607529437_3638a29423_b.jpg

5607530671_28ed8036c1_b.jpg

5608115740_efb56c3751_b.jpg

Now just imagine a 10 year project so we can have those on City Hall Plaza but increase the size 10x.

I dont understand why the copley stairs on the right got a headhouse, but not arlington or kenmore (just open stairs)

In KZs pic you can just barely see the tarp strung up in the glass headhouse. Yup it's leaking or busted already. Glass ceilings. A stupid design idea. I cant wait for it to be summer so I can stop for a steam.

i like the look of these.modern, but with a nod to the Italianate (not in the gaudy post modern sort of way). They are substantial enough to be easily recognized as a subway head house, but are minimal enough to not take away from the great architecture next door.

In other news, the T has now put up the signs for "bus replacement" (they are addicted to this, I guess because it must provide a lot of relatively low-skilled jobs) from North Station to Lechmere from April 30 to "December" while they work on the elevator at Science Park.

It seems it would have been far cheaper ... and far more convenient for far more people ... if they had simply closed Science Park station and instructed patrons of the Science Museum to walk from Lechmere. It's only a few hundred more yards, with only one more street crossing. Most/all of the work at Science Park isn't going to affect the rail bed. And, of course, Lechmere gets 10x the traffic of the sparingly-used Science Park in the first place.

But No, it's the T ... so instead of a closed station and perhaps a weekend interruption or two, we instead take down the whole line for what will probably take a full year before all is said and done. It's depressing in the extreme.

They don't even need to close it. It's stinking elevators going to the far end of the platforms. They aren't blocking egress, there's a hugely long platform extension out onto the viaduct if they have to block off a few feet of platform to stage, the lobby is spacious and won't be constrained for space, and none of this affects the track area or keeps trains from operating normally.

I can see the logic behind a GC shutdown (Green Line level...the Blue Line level makes no sense because they can build the new BL exit/headhouse without disrupting the station proper). I can't see the logic behind this one. They're not even raising the platforms at Science Park for full ADA access, which means it'll have to get closed or disrupted AGAIN when that comes due.

State is looking great! Nearing completion! Maps are installed, new lights are on, barriers are gone. Looks much cleaner. Elevators are still not open yet and the passageways are blocked off.

State Street Station was wide open sometime yesterday, got some pics of its first full day of service.

We'll begin our tour where I entered and progress as I walked through. I entered at 60 State (sorry, I said 63 State earlier!). It's located to the left of the bank of America entrance, but is still on the diagonal face:

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the entrance way from outside. The top of the stairs as seen from the small entry way:

5662290151_941dac4718_z.jpg

Looking down the stairs to the landing:

5662859354_a3d792c254_z.jpg

Looking down the rest of the stairs from the landing:

5662859882_d14199b492_z.jpg

A window, as seen from the landing:

5662327597_c8fe0b59c0_z.jpg

The bottom of the stairs:

5662860986_66416757fd_z.jpg

The fare lobby, thar she blows! (Elevator to the left, in the dark, which the stairs basically wrap around on two sides)

5662861476_d194161c18_z.jpg

The fare gates:

5662862028_8dd15e9b0c_z.jpg

Looking back from the paid side:

5662293905_d5445c2798_z.jpg

Looking back from the paid side, across the pit:

5662316711_40790b8a88_z.jpg

As we stand on the platform, after our descent from 60 State, we look left (east):

5662864770_255b733a27_z.jpg

Then west:

5662864218_536d57f239_z.jpg

Also west, and we see the new alignment of the passageway to Oak Grove trains:

5662294947_742c7b5ddf_z.jpg

Hmm, let's check it out:

5662865382_a2c08fbfd2_z.jpg

I find it odd how the walls are so zig zaggy:

5662297617_7e9dbb262a_z.jpg

Almost there:

5662300547_28e3fdea05_z.jpg

Take a look back behind us:

5662299943_05dc7a893d_z.jpg

Okay, onward now; we see the state of the Orange Line:

5662301067_d7ed8281a1_z.jpg

One last look back as a stampede approaches, clearly thrilled to have their tunnel back in service!

5662302527_160f05b124_z.jpg

Will post more tomorrow, on the Exchange Place side.

Sad that perfectly fine, and better quality, BERy tile work was destroyed to put that Home Depot clearance special crap up. The whole station is going to need a rehab within a decade from all the damage that will be incurred by cheap finishes.

I'm also utterly shocked at the poor quality of the lighting. There's going to be significant safety issues from a lack of adequate illumination in spots. It doesn't really help the comfort factor of the station to be rather gloomy too.

Awesome! I can't wait to use this tomorrow!

Looks nice. I give it a B+.

I love how there's a puddle in one of the photos ... guess they couldn't afford leveling the platform? LOL!

I'm also utterly shocked at the poor quality of the lighting. There's going to be significant safety issues from a lack of adequate illumination in spots. It doesn't really help the comfort factor of the station to be rather gloomy too.

DC metro will give you a heart attack

DC metro will give you a heart attack

Lol, I was just about to post this. Certain spots are literally pitch black. At least it's consistent darkness (and what leads to incidents like that man getting beat by a gang in the middle of the freaking station - this happened while I was in DC). With State, it is unfortunate that it ended up still on the dark side, unlike Aquarium's brilliant lighting scheme.

Sad that perfectly fine, and better quality, BERy tile work was destroyed to put that Home Depot clearance special crap up. The whole station is going to need a rehab within a decade from all the damage that will be incurred by cheap finishes.

Thought the exact same thing when I caught the Blue Line at State yesterday afternoon. The BERy-era ceiling tile was in great shape; why was it removed? Don't kill the job...

I'm also utterly shocked at the poor quality of the lighting.

Better to hide the cheap finishes and shoddy workmanship...

Thought the exact same thing when I caught the Blue Line at State yesterday afternoon. The BERy-era ceiling tile was in great shape; why was it removed?

It probably wasn't ADA-accessible. /snort

After using it for a couple days now, the new State is nowhere NEAR as dark as those pix above make it out to be. The station glows and looks fantastic.

I drove past Science Park yesterday and it is all sorts of torn up. Most noticeably from my car was that the awning over the platforms was all taken down.

Is the Berkeley entrance at Arlington ever going to be reopened or is it a permanent fancy emergency exit?

Back