MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

From BET employees in-the-know via RR.net. . .

The new bi-level commuter rail coaches are slated to begin non-revenue road tests on the northside this weekend if the weather's dry (they want controlled track conditions for the initial runs, so there'll be separate dry and wet/slippery tests). So far they seem to be doing well with the static testing to test the trainlining connection...they've hooked 'em up to every type of loco model on the property and most of the different coach classes. They're currently coupled at BET to F40 loco 1066 (one of the circa-1987 models), so that'll probably be the consist that's out and about. Will be a few months before they do any revenue tests.

The first of the new HSP-46 locos are expected on-property in March for non-revenue tests.

My heart be still I think the Park St elevator is done!!

My heart be still I think the Park St elevator is done!!

The MBTA did a media blitz on it already, so I believe so, yes. Media blitz wouldn't have been complete without several disabled "models" alongside the GM and Trans Secy.

I just happened to have a view of it as we entered Park St a few minutes ago. Only took 5 years!

Ever since the MBTA was partially absorbed into MassDOT, it seems alot of projects are running "ahead of schedule and under budget." But to be honest, I wonder if they're intentionally overvaluing and overestimating the project timetables.

Ever since the MBTA was partially absorbed into MassDOT, it seems alot of projects are running "ahead of schedule and under budget." But to be honest, I wonder if they're intentionally overvaluing and overestimating the project timetables.

I think they're gunning to get far enough along to reopen Track 2 as soon as possible and let trains pass on both partially-completed platforms. CSX already ripped out a segment of yard rail next to the mainline track, which seems to indicate that the T is going to move fast at first sign of ground thaw to lay continuous second iron through Yawkey and Beacon Park. If they start dropping long strands of pre-welded rail next to the trackbed in those two spots over the next month that's the telltale sign that it's on the front burner.

Bizarre temporary tracks bypassing Assembly Square:
AssemblySquare_0213.jpg

http://www.somervillestep.org/2013/02/assembly_square_9.html

Hey at least it's only temporary.

ineptitude.jpg

Hey at least it's only temporary.

It was still quite curvy to begin with. Something I never really understood, but I guess it had to do with old property lines and B&M yard space.

That suggestion came up at the January Green Line meeting too. Although I like Hyde Square, I have no idea how an extension could be brought there even if they wanted to do it. A sharp turn onto Perkins Street?

This smells like the BRA is just checking off a box to please a few locals. Ask MBTA to extend line; get rejected; OK.

I'm reading it more as bringing it further down S Huntington to the intersection of either Perkins or Centre, rather than bringing it all the way into Hyde Sq. No idea how they'd handle turn around though. Agreed that it more seems like, "Sure, we'll ask (knowing it'll get shot down, but whatever)."

A one-way track loop around the triangle of South Huntington - Centre- Perkins sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah, I think that's how they would have to do the turn. I don't know how serious the BRA (and the powers behind it) might be about this idea, but it's the first instance of the city pushing for rail expansion in quite some time. If the right people in Boston get behind this (ie Menino), I could see it happening.

Seems like a plausible routing, but could the trains make those curves? They're pretty acute.

A construction company called Barletta won the Government Center project today. They do a lot of MBTA work and are capable. Oddly, they were ~25% below the third and fourth place bidders (JF White and Walsh - the other companies I considered capable)

Barletta did the Kenmore renovation, if I recall correctly.

In that case this is going to be a shit show. I know they are closing Gov't wheras Kenmore was left open during construction, but even so it was the most mismanaged project I've ever seen.

I really hope to be proven wrong.

Ah yes, america.

Where showing gross incompetence means youre a shoo in for the next contract.

Back