MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

I loved cable-stayed bridges and all, but they couldn't have made that a simpler footbridge and saved some money?

I loved cable-stayed bridges and all, but they couldn't have made that a simpler footbridge and saved some money?

Or, heaven forbid, made people walk AT GRADE across a parking lot to get to the bridge? Haven't they pretty much wasted all the land under that overbuilt lattice there? Will there be some sort of enclosed retail in there?

Or, heaven forbid, made people walk AT GRADE across a parking lot to get to the bridge? Haven't they pretty much wasted all the land under that overbuilt lattice there? Will there be some sort of enclosed retail in there?

To be fair, it looks like the intention is to connect the station and the beach without going through a parking lot that tends to deaden the feel. Of course, since it obviously paid by taxpayers money... I do recognize it may not be the ideal use of it.

Whether intentional or not, it looks well positioned to evolve into multi-level TOD - street level and bridge / pedestrian level fronts, with an embedded garage

^ Is that the plan? It looks perfectly positioned for some high apartment towers housing carless commuters. Put some restaurants and convenience stores in the place to serve them and beach goers and you have a perfect little money making operation for the T.

Does the T own this land? I would love it they did some of this work where it seems so natural. You get increased fares, do the permitting get it to construction and sell it to a REIT that knows how to manage it for a pretty penny.

EDIT:
Looking at google maps, there is really a good long stretch up the beach right there with no housing or anything. You could build a lot of residences pretty big up there, maintaining the 'character of the neighborhood' given that towers are on the downside of the beach. Given the size of the available space, this place could be a more linear, blue line version of station landing.

That would be sensible thinking. Which, I believe, is outlawed here.

The T will sell the land for $1 in exchange for repaving the commuter rail lot in $RANDOM_TOWN.

Whether intentional or not, it looks well positioned to evolve into multi-level TOD - street level and bridge / pedestrian level fronts, with an embedded garage

Yeah, that's the plan, pretty much. But doesn't require an over-engineered bridge.

Who would pay money to have views of the beach and ocean and be within a direct 20 minute subway commute downtown?

Nonsense is what it is.

^ Is that the plan? It looks perfectly positioned for some high apartment towers housing carless commuters. Put some restaurants and convenience stores in the place to serve them and beach goers and you have a perfect little money making operation for the T.

Does the T own this land? I would love it they did some of this work where it seems so natural. You get increased fares, do the permitting get it to construction and sell it to a REIT that knows how to manage it for a pretty penny.

EDIT:
Looking at google maps, there is really a good long stretch up the beach right there with no housing or anything. You could build a lot of residences pretty big up there, maintaining the 'character of the neighborhood' given that towers are on the downside of the beach. Given the size of the available space, this place could be a more linear, blue line version of station landing.

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_projects/projects_tod/?id=1082

Holy crap! Thanks!

From the MBTA:
Wonderland.jpg

I don't understand you guys. Every time somebody pastes in some cool bridge from Amsterdam and such - we all go "why can't we have it here?"

And now they build a cool looking bridge and we complain about overbuilding and cost. How else are these things supposed to happen? Doesn't Europe use public funds for most of those projects?

They might wanna get Lynn to fix its sewer system first...

I don't understand you guys. Every time somebody pastes in some cool bridge from Amsterdam and such - we all go "why can't we have it here?"

And now they build a cool looking bridge and we complain about overbuilding and cost. How else are these things supposed to happen? Doesn't Europe use public funds for most of those projects?

I completely agree. The bridge is iconic, connects the station to the beach, can symbolize a rebirth of this area, and hopefully prompt further change like the full TOD that is planned.

Yes. And then fix schools. And improve city services. There are always more important things you can do with the money than improve looks of public amenities. Does this mean that poor towns should never get pretty things?

They don't have to fix it. All they have to do is tie in to the Deer Island facility, which has more than enough capacity! Lynn pays a fine every year for failure to opt in to Deer Island, but they're still quite content with regular CSO discharges and a stinky water treatment plant on their waterfront with massive potential.

I'll put this here, though it pertains to Assembly Square and Orange Line. Lots of painted steel going up at Assembly Square stop under construction. Took OL yesterday and we slowed down for construction. Lots of visible progress.

Back